Another Newbie saying hi

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
coldstream69

Another Newbie saying hi

Post by coldstream69 » 11 Dec 2019, 20:09

Evening all,
Im Marc and live just outside Dorchester in Dorset. i love my shooting in all forms and currently have about 1000 acres of mixed ground to shoot on. I have been using a Photon RT on my Tikka M55 22-250 for about 4 years for foxes. I seem to have the same problem as others in not being able to get enough elevation however have found a reticule which i know the aim point on and works well for me. i may shim but am fine at the moment. I also have a .17HMR, 300 Win Mag, two shotguns and my old webley vulcan .22 air rifle that i brought at the age of 14 with my first farming summer wage. I have used thermal and would love to own one but cant convince the wife to let me spend the money. looking to learn more about night vision from similarly minded people. look forward to contributing on topics and asking questions. good to meet you all.
Money can’t buy you friends but can buy you a better class of enemy.

jthyttin

Re: Another Newbie saying hi

Post by jthyttin » 11 Dec 2019, 20:50

Welcome!

If you have two piece Optilock on the M55 you can always shim between the base and ring. Be sure to use threadlocker and tighten the ring to base appropriately (use torque specs for similar thread if not provided by Sako). There's also other designs like Burris Signature that allow shimming using designated inserts inside the ring but that woul require Picatinny rail on the rifle.

VCSEL torch with 2x lens, like Solaris SRX, Black Sun Dark Engine or latest Wraith will breath new life to your Photon. 850nm for range or 940nm for covert (still 150-200m very good pic on 6x Photon).

There's also some budget minded digital spotters from the forum sponsors, but at the moment at least Custom Rifle Scopes is closed for holidays. The cost is about 1/10 of thermal spotter at the low end.

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 11 Dec 2019, 21:26

Hi Marc, welcome to the forum bud.

coldstream69

Post by coldstream69 » 21 Dec 2019, 14:34

jthyttin wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 20:50
Welcome!

If you have two piece Optilock on the M55 you can always shim between the base and ring. Be sure to use threadlocker and tighten the ring to base appropriately (use torque specs for similar thread if not provided by Sako). There's also other designs like Burris Signature that allow shimming using designated inserts inside the ring but that woul require Picatinny rail on the rifle.

VCSEL torch with 2x lens, like Solaris SRX, Black Sun Dark Engine or latest Wraith will breath new life to your Photon. 850nm for range or 940nm for covert (still 150-200m very good pic on 6x Photon).

There's also some budget minded digital spotters from the forum sponsors, but at the moment at least Custom Rifle Scopes is closed for holidays. The cost is about 1/10 of thermal spotter at the low end.
Thanks for the information, I may give the shimming a go. I like the idea of having the picatinny rail and that could open up more options and flexibility to the rifle.
Money can’t buy you friends but can buy you a better class of enemy.