Grafham Water (Anglian Water).

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
rodp
NON EMMET

Re: Grafham Water (Anglian Water).

Post by rodp » 20 Sep 2016, 17:11

I think (?) he's referring to the patrol boats that can't be used in hot climates, the engines can't keep cool and shut down. Apparently the mod altered the spec, were advised not to by Rolls but did so anyway.

But I could be completely off track.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Radagast
junior librarian

Post by Radagast » 21 Sep 2016, 05:35

Destroyers, not patrol boats. Don't make some uptight Pusser track you down and beat you. Rodders, I can believe that. Its blindingly obvious that MOD planning and design is done by and for Treasury, with some regard for BAE and jobs for the boys and with no regard for the defense of the realm.

Cocktail Onion, the tale of the engine that went boom is here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_32
Long discussion of the destroyer problem here:
http://www.rina.org.uk/Project_Napier_s ... blems.html
Layman's terms here:
https://www.quora.com/Whats-wrong-with- ... t-be-fixed
BTW your profile says mid Essex, so you are a middling East Saxon.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Re: Scops at Grafham Water.

Post by pickle » 21 Sep 2016, 22:02

Radagast now that you have imbued me with supernatural Thorium powers the consideration is that I may well be descended from the mythical Scop. What is it that actually makes the lenses go yellow I wonder. I did want Ultra Violet abilities by the way. Getting back to Scop, I take your words and views in this regard as a serious compliment and consider there must indeed be descendants of Scop/s settled in Australia. Be aware that you have potentially unleashed a can of vipers here.
My view is that Scop could be a generic term for poet, soothsayer, story teller, sage and also fool/jester among others - but it could be that THE Scop did indeed exist rather like King Arthur and was immortalised by Beowulf and King Alfred et al in the Exeter Book. This cultural European phenomena has more recently been hijacked and hacked by latent American interests. Now interestingly some notable American scholars/intellectuals - Professor Seth Lerer UCSD, Larry Benson and John Miles Foley U of M, have openly attempted to diminish and demean the origins of the Anglo Saxon Scop being attributed within the boundaries of Anglo Saxon England and further reduce and confine the reference point of origin to Germanic tribes situated in mainland Europe only. In this regard they have attempted to dilute the origins and legacy of Scop by attributing their own legitimacy of proof by interpretation - their interpretation. In other words give themselves credence by association and the manipulation of research and opinion - their research and opinion and then embed their conclusions within international publications and papers. Like other researchers and chairs their research and conclusion has no legitimacy whatsoever or basis in fact. Further, Lerer promotes the notion of a literary fiction he presumably considers to be compiled within The Exeter Book and carefully maintains the heroic past of Germanic peoples situated exclusively in mainland Europe. His Mistake. His contradiction being that he implies the content of the medieval English text 'Exeter Book' to have been fictionalised but oddly he considers may have basis in fact. Probably struggled with interpreting the riddles within the codex.
Was Shakespeare a descendant of Scop, most likely.
Well, like a lot of other stuff, so called American intellectuals, bankers, politicians, scribes et alia would have us, the British Peoples believe that we are diminished of culture, historic background, by Brexit, by war, by social conscience, scientific and financial expertise and resources to name but a few areas where the Yanks would have the rest of the world believe we are terminally, globally deficient. I believe this to be a sad indictment of American stiletto philosophy and attitude. Is there a Scop in the US of A, unlikely, but remember this, some Norsemen did reach the New World and some of them must have had red hair. Donald Trump has red hair, could he be the last descendant of Scop in the USA.
Oh yes - by the way. The surname 'Lerer' referred to herein is - surprisingly - of Germanic/Askenasic medieval origin, derived and located in essence from a boggy region of mainland europe.
So, is this man Lerer a disaffected son of an American Kraut settler trying to legitimize and rationalize his clouded ancestry or just another American struggling to come to terms with a lack of historic bonding. Leave it with you.

rodp
NON EMMET

Re: Scops at Grafham Water.

Post by rodp » 21 Sep 2016, 22:18

pickle wrote:Radagast now that you have imbued me with supernatural Thorium powers the consideration is that I may well be descended from the mythical Scop. What is it that actually makes the lenses go yellow I wonder. I did want Ultra Violet abilities by the way. Getting back to Scop, I take your words and views in this regard as a serious compliment and consider there must indeed be descendants of Scop/s settled in Australia. Be aware that you have potentially unleashed a can of vipers here.
My view is that Scop could be a generic term for poet, soothsayer, story teller, sage and also fool/jester among others - but it could be that THE Scop did indeed exist rather like King Arthur and was immortalised by Beowulf and King Alfred et al in the Exeter Book. This cultural European phenomena has more recently been hijacked and hacked by latent American interests. Now interestingly some notable American scholars/intellectuals - Professor Seth Lerer UCSD, Larry Benson and John Miles Foley U of M, have openly attempted to diminish and demean the origins of the Anglo Saxon Scop being attributed within the boundaries of Anglo Saxon England and further reduce and confine the reference point of origin to Germanic tribes situated in mainland Europe only. In this regard they have attempted to dilute the origins and legacy of Scop by attributing their own legitimacy of proof by interpretation - their interpretation. In other words give themselves credence by association and the manipulation of research and opinion - their research and opinion and then embed their conclusions within international publications and papers. Like other researchers and chairs their research and conclusion has no legitimacy whatsoever or basis in fact. Further, Lerer promotes the notion of a literary fiction he presumably considers to be compiled within The Exeter Book and carefully maintains the heroic past of Germanic peoples situated exclusively in mainland Europe. His Mistake. His contradiction being that he implies the content of the medieval English text 'Exeter Book' to have been fictionalised but oddly he considers may have basis in fact. Probably struggled with interpreting the riddles within the codex.
Was Shakespeare a descendant of Scop, most likely.
Well, like a lot of other stuff, so called American intellectuals, bankers, politicians, scribes et alia would have us, the British Peoples believe that we are diminished of culture, historic background, by Brexit, by war, by social conscience, scientific and financial expertise and resources to name but a few areas where the Yanks would have the rest of the world believe we are terminally, globally deficient. I believe this to be a sad indictment of American stiletto philosophy and attitude. Is there a Scop in the US of A, unlikely, but remember this, some Norsemen did reach the New World and some of them must have had red hair. Donald Trump has red hair, could he be the last descendant of Scop in the USA.
Oh yes - by the way. The surname 'Lerer' referred to herein is - surprisingly - of Germanic/Askenasic medieval origin, derived and located in essence from a boggy region of mainland europe.
So, is this man Lerer a disaffected son of an American Kraut settler trying to legitimize and rationalize his clouded ancestry or just another American struggling to come to terms with a lack of historic bonding. Leave it with you.

That's all very well Alf, but let's get down to the nitty gritty ............... could Scop repair a chainsaw ? :think:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 22 Sep 2016, 08:05

Well rodp it has to be said that this scop is unable to breath life back into the renegade immigrant known as Frau Stihl. She now awaits her fate.

Radagast
junior librarian

Post by Radagast » 22 Sep 2016, 10:12

Green Savoury Spread,
Sounds like you have a Norwegian Blue rather than a German Orange.
I wonder if the Orange was first cultivated in Germany. It would explain the simplistic naming. Good thing the Italians developed wine, otherwise we would be buying bunches of purples, and probably squeezing slices of yellow over our fish and chips.
I'm not worried about a can of vipers. Australia has 18 of the worlds 20 deadliest snakes. Try swimming with an Eastern Brown snake, or pulling a yellow belly black out of the ridge tree of your house. When I was 12 I picked my ten year old sister up and held her in mid air - she was about to step on a wriggling black branch across the path. Perhaps if we canned vipers there would be an export market. Probably to one of those places that eat fried scorpions and hundred year old eggs.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 22 Sep 2016, 19:39

Radii you old trollope. The Norwegian Blue Parrot did exist apparrotly - so there. Are you trying to tell me something? And why we ever built type 42's out of Magnesium I'll never know and then we build type 45's and attach Northrop Grumman intercoolers to Rolls Royce turbines. Nothing wrong with the Rolls Royce kit (that I'm reading) until we bolted on the crap green intercoolers that do not work properly. It beggars belief that we let the Yanks sabotage our Type 45's with crap kit that they had not tested properly. Another example in my book of American sabotage and incompetence. Christ almighty bejeesus why don't our people learn to steer clear of the Yanks. Look what Lockheed did to our aircraft industry in the fifties and look how many pilots Lockheed killed with crap planes - German pilots. Well apparently these two 45's have electric motors powering them - not gas turbines, what a bloody silly idea. How stupid is the British government and the Royal Nanny. Any second grade 14 year old engineering science student could have put the MOD right - use an elastic band you twats. And now just to cap it all we are supposed to be buying F35's isnt it? Don't you just love Super Etendard and how the Yanks supported us in the Falklands Campaign. Private Eye Magazine mentioned F35's and just how 'special' they really are. Makes me want to spit now you mentioned it Radagast. Never saw one single snake in WA (1979 Year of Excitement)), but did see lots of arrogant lizards and spiders - oh and a Bull Ant on a cannon in Kings park outside Perth. So if I'm right about the Northrop Grumman debacle then - yah, boo and sucks, but i do like you.

Radagast
junior librarian

Post by Radagast » 22 Sep 2016, 23:42

In 2007 OZ bought a squadron of Super Hornets because the F35 wasn't quite ready. In 2013 we bought another squadron because the F35 wasn't quite ready. Two months ago the head of the US Airforce declared the F35A to be 'combat ready' but didn't mention ' Initial Operational Conversion', which is when the open ended development contract ends and the fixed price delivery starts. Now they are grounded again.

The OZ Super Hornets (Boeing), C17s (Boeing), Wedgetail AWACS (Boeing) are all in use over Syria, our F35s are grounded at an American training facility. The F104 Starfighter was the Deal of the Century, the F35 is the Steal of the Century. It's only ten years overdue, still in the cost plus development stage. Nothing to see here. Move along.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 23 Sep 2016, 18:52

Radagast, turns out that the Type 45 debacle has more substance in your favour i believe. Read a bit more and the problems started under Jeff Hoon the then Defence Minister, and Tony Blaire, both knowledgeable in the art and skills of building war machines and monitoring their long term after effects. So not an easy subject to define, however, the collaboration between Northrop Grumman and BAES was tenuous to say the least with major technological mismatches and mistrust by both parties. If i didn't know better I might believe that political and industrial sabotage had been afoot and as one knows there is twelve inches to a foot as a rule. I take back yah, boo and sucks, but it does.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Oz Super Hornets

Post by pickle » 24 Sep 2016, 13:09

Do keep this stuff coming Radagast - if you will, as we pretty much hear bugger all from the BBC or the MOD about imported American technology/war machines and what the likely cost/advantage might be etc. I like to think that our Navy is getting it together underwater and BAE is still British. The eyes of the MOD in this country are bigger than the bellies just, and the average age of someone in authority here is about 67 years of age. They are like bloody politicians, they never seem to retire and they never want to let go - leeches out of the same jar. I meant to add that I believe we need another F.D. Roosevelt - benevolent dictator with balls - but then we are not at war. I wonder can we get hold of some Churchill Roosevelt DNA and build ourselves a new dynasty or a park bench or just plant a few trees.