Page 1 of 2
Need to make me a kayak rack, whats the law?
Posted: 08 May 2015, 18:35
by gypo
Anyone know the law as far as loading things on the side of a vehicle?
I got a sea kayak that I used to transport on the side of my old vw camper, the sides sloped in a bit so the kayak didnt stick out too much see below.
Ive now changed the van and got a high top Fiat Ducato, Its too high to put the kayak on the roof, plus it will block out my solar panels so im thinking of making some similar brackets to mount the kayak on the side.
So my question is,,,
The sides of the new van dont slope so much so the kayak will stick out a bit more, is this acceptable? Ive been told thats it ok as long as it doesn't stick out more than the wing mirrors but this was just bloke down the pub talk
Anyone know?
Cheers
G

Re: Need to make me a kayak rack, whats the law?
Posted: 08 May 2015, 19:01
by rodp
Here you go Gyp
http://assets.highways.gov.uk/specialis ... _loads.pdf
Now this applies to commercial vehicles and I don't know the current regs regarding plg, however, I do know what VOSA are like and I wouldn't push my luck.
There's also been some very recent rule changes regarding campervans (towing cars is one of them) and until I see the local VOSA bloke again I can't help.
Yoyr local hgv test centre will answer any questions you have but you may have to keep ringing until they answer or pop in.
Re: Need to make me a kayak rack, whats the law?
Posted: 08 May 2015, 19:10
by gypo
Cheers Rod.
I'll have a read of that later when I get home.
G
Re: Need to make me a kayak rack, whats the law?
Posted: 08 May 2015, 20:47
by gypo
My rack will stick out approx 300mm on one side, about the same as the mirrors when you takes the slope of the van into consideration.
The info talks about projecting on both sides?
Still not sure if I'm honest.
G
Re: Need to make me a kayak rack, whats the law?
Posted: 08 May 2015, 20:52
by sunndog
I reckon if anyone on an internet forum will know then the chaps over on song of the paddle will be your men
www.songofthepaddle.co.uk
Re: Need to make me a kayak rack, whats the law?
Posted: 08 May 2015, 20:55
by gypo
Thanks Adam.
I'll take a look
G
Re: Need to make me a kayak rack, whats the law?
Posted: 08 May 2015, 21:42
by rodp
On a truck we would take it to mean either or both sides. VOSA can be a law unto themselves and can be a little vindictive at the roadside.
Re: Need to make me a kayak rack, whats the law?
Posted: 09 May 2015, 18:16
by gypo
I think ill give them a call on Monday see what they say.
G
Re: Need to make me a kayak rack, whats the law?
Posted: 10 May 2015, 05:55
by jimmy milnes
I'm no expert but thinking on it logically ''may be fuel to ya fire if talking to VOSA'' what about all the vans used by window fitters and such like that have massive racking on the side to hold glass ?
Regards
Jimmy
Re: Need to make me a kayak rack, whats the law?
Posted: 10 May 2015, 07:24
by gypo
Yes I thought of that one
I'll ring them Tomrw and report back here
G