Photon 6.5 lens insert removal tool

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
Post Reply
Asc
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Nov 2015, 22:57
Location: Billericay

Photon 6.5 lens insert removal tool

Post by Asc » 01 Dec 2015, 19:39

I'm new, so hello. Ref the 6.5 photon and the glued in insert to prevent a doubler being fitted, has anyone removed one yet? I am going to make a tool to do so, but any prior knowledge would be appreciated. By the way, I have heard it may invalidate the warranty, but I doubt it'd stand up in court as it would be difficult for yukon to prove cause of damage to the electronics - these being the only thing that could fail anyway.
Also, if and when successful, I'll be selling the tools too, along with a how to crib sheet. Cheers

User avatar
cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR
Posts: 1999
Joined: 02 Mar 2012, 20:19
Location: Ashford, Kent
Contact:

Re: Photon 6.5 lens insert removal tool

Post by cliveward » 01 Dec 2015, 21:46

Asc wrote:I'm new, so hello. Ref the 6.5 photon and the glued in insert to prevent a doubler being fitted, has anyone removed one yet? I am going to make a tool to do so, but any prior knowledge would be appreciated. By the way, I have heard it may invalidate the warranty, but I doubt it'd stand up in court as it would be difficult for yukon to prove cause of damage to the electronics - these being the only thing that could fail anyway.
Also, if and when successful, I'll be selling the tools too, along with a how to crib sheet. Cheers
Hi Asc,

Unfortunately if you 'could' remove the new locking ring, you would have to replace it with another shorter locking ring to stop the lens falling out which it will most likely do as it's glued to the locking ring. :wtf: Yukon don't use a standard photographic thread so it would have to be made specially.

This would be a modification which Pulsar categorically states invalidates the whole warranty. I see your point though.

We've looked at this and it's pretty likely that there isn't enough mechanical strength in the new style locking ring to withstand the forces required to overcome the adhesive once it's cured after assembly, even if warmed up. :thumbdown:


Cheers





Clive

Asc
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Nov 2015, 22:57
Location: Billericay

Re: Photon 6.5 lens insert removal tool

Post by Asc » 02 Dec 2015, 18:09

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on. If all goes Badley then I'll convert it to accept a camera lens a la extreme design that people post about. It be a learning experience either way!

User avatar
fizzbangwhallop
Posts: 2613
Joined: 18 Oct 2011, 11:27
Location: north herts

Re: Photon 6.5 lens insert removal tool

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 02 Dec 2015, 18:11

Asc wrote:Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on. If all goes Badley then I'll convert it to accept a camera lens a la extreme design that people post about. It be a learning experience either way!
Good luck on getting the lens assembly out of the housing......it's in there double 'king tight! ;)

I'd be interested if you do manage it without wrecking it.

atb

Fizz
8-)
Image

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

Post Reply