DIY Night vision spotter lens mounts?

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
mattgriff88

DIY Night vision spotter lens mounts?

Post by mattgriff88 » 30 Oct 2014, 20:58

Evening all,

Im making my own DIY night vision spotter.

I have got a 5" screen, E700 Cam, handle, battery and project box sorted.
I now need to sort the most important bit, mounting a lens to the project box and getting the correct focal distance which im told is 45.5mm

Im told i need a S-mount to C-Mount adapter and then a C-mount to M42 or what ever fitting the lens i buy is.

Does the E700 screw on to the S-mount adaptor?
Do i need to remove the 16mm lens currentley on the E700 Camera for the S-mount to screw on to?

How is the correct focal distance achieved?

Thanks

22-250jock

Re: DIY Night vision spotter lens mounts?

Post by 22-250jock » 30 Oct 2014, 21:01

mattgriff88 wrote:Evening all,

Im making my own DIY night vision spotter.

I have got a 5" screen, E700 Cam, handle, battery and project box sorted.
I now need to sort the most important bit, mounting a lens to the project box and getting the correct focal distance which im told is 45.5mm

Im told i need a S-mount to C-Mount adapter and then a C-mount to M42 or what ever fitting the lens i buy is.

Does the E700 screw on to the S-mount adaptor?
Do i need to remove the 16mm lens currentley on the E700 Camera for the S-mount to screw on to?

How is the correct focal distance achieved?

Thanks
Matt

sure sell the s-c mount adaptor http://www.sure24.co.uk/sure-csadapter- ... -adapter-2

and yes you need to remove the 16mm lens from the e700 first

if you are using an m42 lens you need a c/cs to m42 adaptor that screws into the above adaptor

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

mattgriff88

Post by mattgriff88 » 30 Oct 2014, 22:31

Does the S thread need to be female or male?

If i remove the lens off the E700 won't the thread on the camera be the male?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 31 Oct 2014, 06:09

You need an adaptor with a male S thread
S thread lenses are male thread so the thread in the camera is female

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 31 Oct 2014, 08:01

It might be worth bearing in mind that adaptor is designed to mate CCTV lenses to M12 box or board cameras. The hole through it is only 10.5mm diameter so you need a lens with the exit glass to be that diameter or smaller. Although the CCTV lenses will pass less light than the SLR lens, all of the reduced amount of light and image would see the sensor.

I suspect - but have not actually tried - the sensor will not fare very well with the narrow aperture that adaptor will cause throttling the image from the 25mm diameter SLR exit glass.

Having said that, reality may not be as bad as the technical aspect because there is not a vast difference between the 10.5mm hole though the adaptor and the 12mm thread in the neck of the E700.

mattgriff88

Post by mattgriff88 » 31 Oct 2014, 14:54

phoenix wrote:You need an adaptor with a male S thread
S thread lenses are male thread so the thread in the camera is female

Cheers

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, Didn't see the little screw holding the lens in to place

mattgriff88

Post by mattgriff88 » 31 Oct 2014, 15:02

some bloke wrote:It might be worth bearing in mind that adaptor is designed to mate CCTV lenses to M12 box or board cameras. The hole through it is only 10.5mm diameter so you need a lens with the exit glass to be that diameter or smaller. Although the CCTV lenses will pass less light than the SLR lens, all of the reduced amount of light and image would see the sensor.

I suspect - but have not actually tried - the sensor will not fare very well with the narrow aperture that adaptor will cause throttling the image from the 25mm diameter SLR exit glass.

Having said that, reality may not be as bad as the technical aspect because there is not a vast difference between the 10.5mm hole though the adaptor and the 12mm thread in the neck of the E700.
Thanks for replying to this thread dave.

I was thinking about this myself to be honest, what i was thinking of doing is trimming the neck off the E700 and maybe widening the exit hole of the camera.

Then getting a small square of ABS plastic, drilling a hole the same size as the exit hole of the E700.
Glue the camera to the ABS then to the project box.
Then glue a M42 Adapter to the outside of the box for a 50mm M42 lens to screw on to.
the way i want to glue the M42 adapter is so the adapter is countersunk in to the project box and rest's on the piece of abs on the camera if that makes any sense.

Trying to take out the use of the S to C adapter that most seem to use.

:thumbup:

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 31 Oct 2014, 15:52

I think I know what you mean matt. :angel:

An idea perhaps:

The front of the E700 box has four small dummy holes in it - which just happen to be about the same distance apart as the face of a C mount ring. Maybe you could use them as drilling pilot holes to drill and tap 2mm threads through your box into the C mount ring of the M42 adaptor?

The inside of the holes in the E700 would need to be countersunk so the heads don't foul the board.

mattgriff88

Post by mattgriff88 » 31 Oct 2014, 16:48

some bloke wrote:I think I know what you mean matt. :angel:

An idea perhaps:

The front of the E700 box has four small dummy holes in it - which just happen to be about the same distance apart as the face of a C mount ring. Maybe you could use them as drilling pilot holes to drill and tap 2mm threads through your box into the C mount ring of the M42 adaptor?

The inside of the holes in the E700 would need to be countersunk so the heads don't foul the board.
Sounds like a plan!

The housing's you sell do the M42 adaptor start at 12mm to 42mm?

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 31 Oct 2014, 17:07

mattgriff88 wrote:
some bloke wrote:I think I know what you mean matt. :angel:

An idea perhaps:

Sounds like a plan!

The housing's you sell do the M42 adaptor start at 12mm to 42mm?
I'm not sure if this is the answer to that question but the forward extremity of it has an M42 thread in it - and the inner part is 15.6 ish mm to locate the widest part of the tapered E700 neck.

The relevant part of the optics path is that the widest extremities of the 25mm SLR exit lens sees the widest parts of the sensor. Cropping the E700 neck is probably just me being determined/stubborn enough (as usual) to make every little bit count when you look at the path from edge to edge as photo'd rather than looking from the front centre.

I ought to add that the white ABS was supposed to be grey - because I couldn't find black at the right price when I started looking for materials.