My First NV Build

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Cap Loz

My First NV Build

Post by Cap Loz » 20 Sep 2014, 17:39

Hi all
Been lurking on here picking up all the good tips on how to build my own Night Vision device to add to my Daystate Huntsman Regal and Hawke Airmax 3-9 40 AO, and before I go on, many thanks to all who have posted their ideas and finished products on the forum.

Here is my setup with the 3s 12v battery inside the project box. An EJ230 at the front, used as a wide angle spotter and an E700 on the scope using some modified Floplast fittings.

To change from the spotter cam to the scope cam is a switch beneath the box and whilst there is a slight pause as the other camera fires up, it's not a problem.

As you can see from the above pic, I've also made it possible to charge the batteries in situ, hence the 12v output/input plus the balance charging point. I can also output
the scope camera to a DVR/monitor.

An 45 deg angled picatinny rail in front on the spotter mount allows the addition of an IR torch.

And if I want to get really silly, I can even put a red lens led torch on the other side. Not that you should need to use both but it's somewhere to carry it and it can act as as backup if the IR goes on the blink.

I'm not showing my wiring inside the box as it's a bit of a cramped mess at the moment with the original leads, but after seeing how Somebloke has substituted them with 3 pin Futaba servo cables, I've got some on
order to do myself.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: My First NV Build

Post by some bloke » 20 Sep 2014, 17:53

That looks very nice. :thumbup:

The standard plug and play cables are OK for domestic camera users but a bit too bulky for what we want.

I used to build RC helicopters years ago and had some servo wires laying about so gave them a go.

Things dint always go as planned;

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dave-G/ ... rt=3&o=249

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dave-G/ ... rt=3&o=250

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dave-G/ ... rt=3&o=251

22-250jock

Post by 22-250jock » 20 Sep 2014, 18:02

very tidy first build that mate :clap: :clap:

thanks for posting the pics...... it'll help others with their future builds ;)

that's what makes this forum stand out from the rest 8-)

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

terry1001

Post by terry1001 » 20 Sep 2014, 18:57

Looks nice and tidy, I have sometimes tidied up the wiring by making all the connections onto a piece of pcb which saves all the bulky plugs and sockets.

Cap Loz

Post by Cap Loz » 20 Sep 2014, 19:09

22-250jock wrote:very tidy first build that mate :clap: :clap:

thanks for posting the pics...... it'll help others with their future builds ;)

that's what makes this forum stand out from the rest 8-)

cheers jock
Thanks for that, and I agree, this is a great informative forum.

Thanks Somebloke. Yea I've got some RC helis and they are harder to fly than the real thing, as I well know. LOL

Good idea Terry, but I still want to be able to take them out separately if necessary.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 20 Sep 2014, 20:25

[/quote] Thanks for that, and I agree, this is a great informative forum.

Thanks Somebloke. Yea I've got some RC helis and they are harder to fly than the real thing, as I well know. LOL
[/quote]

Ah - How old are you BTW? Have you been flying long enough to have heard of G-Blades?

Cap Loz

Post by Cap Loz » 21 Sep 2014, 10:03

some bloke wrote: Ah - How old are you BTW? Have you been flying long enough to have heard of G-Blades?
I'm the ripe age of 62 and I flew for 40 years (20 of which were on RAF Helicopters) before retiring from BA 5 years ago.
No not heard of G-Blades. :?:

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 21 Sep 2014, 15:17

62 eh? Same age then.

I flew mostly Kalt Cyclones - and Space Barons for drag races with them.
Competed with NHP for composite blade sales. Mine were fibreglass his were/are carbon fibre.

He won the latter but the races were mixed results.