Camera Viewer, Screen Hoods

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
CrocodileDundee

Camera Viewer, Screen Hoods

Post by CrocodileDundee » 20 Jul 2014, 09:01

Reading around here lots has given me inspiration to make a dedicated NV scope for my air rifle for toad hunting. Got the fabrication covered with plans to have the tactical "Drone" type look to it. I've ordered a board cam for it just need to sort out the viewer mostly. Most people here seem to be rebirthing a old camera view finder for their builds. With the most common advice being to cross your fingers and hope you get lucky first time. I've read thru the sticky on them and a few builds and looked around on ebay here in Oz with most old cameras costing more than new ones. But new ones most likely having ribbons rather than wires.

Found this hood for screens. A few options out there for different sizes that I could make work. Anyone used one? Most are about the 3" screen mark and 3x magnification. Anyone ever seen one for any screens smaller?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-5x-LCD-Vie ... 3cddaf9ac5

Also found this but has HDMI input. Not sure if I can make that work or not. Anybody know if its a simple wiring job or more complicated? Its the only thing I can find even close to an off the shelf solution so maybe worth considering.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/N ... 8.html?s=p

Also found this one which has adjustable magnification in the hood. 1-3x. Not sure how that will work with the generated reticle. If its manageable it'd be like a FFP scope. Could be handy for a air rifle having additional lines for holdover. 8-)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Seagull-LCD- ... 53f6d2b230

Are there other options?

Keen to do this on the cheap as a trial and run my learning curve without expensive bits and pieces if possible. Been using the search and found some info on camera viewer rebirths but nothing about using the hoods with a regular screen.

Cheers.

CrocodileDundee

Re: Camera Viewer, Screen Hoods

Post by CrocodileDundee » 21 Jul 2014, 12:30

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Inch-Color- ... 19ed3a131d

possible option right there. RCA inputs camera test monitor with adjustable settings. Looks to be a winner so far.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 21 Jul 2014, 12:48

I'm intrigued by that viewfinder.
The body and controls look exactly like an Oriscape VF-2C, but the actual display looks much larger
http://oriscape.en.alibaba.com/product/ ... _922K.html
But the Oriscape doesn't have a 1.5 inch display - more like 0.5" or 0.6"
If the display in your link is 1.5" diagonal, then it won't be 640x480 - not for $99.
If it is an OriscapeVF-2c and they simply have got the size of the display wrong, then at $99 it's a good deal.
If you do get it, remember that you will have to modify the power switch so that it stays on rather than switching itself off when you stop pushing the button.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 21 Jul 2014, 12:55

Just had another closer look at the viewfinder in your link - I'm 99.9% sure it is an Oriscape VF-2c, the display looks a bit big in the picture because thay have moved the rubber eyepiece back to show the display more clearly.
That means it's not a 1.5inch display, as I said in my previous post it's either 0.5 or 0.6.
They are good displays - several forum members are using them in builds and thy are used in Nite Teks NT200 and 300 NV add on units and in the Ward D vision NV add on unit

CrocodileDundee

Post by CrocodileDundee » 21 Jul 2014, 13:47

The one I found lists dimension as 2.75" wide and 3.25" high. Picture looks like the screen is about half the size so 1.5" is probably close. Could be a photo shopped picture maybe.

My original idea was a modular NV scope. One with the ability to swap an eye viewer and screen depending on what I wanted to do. This is the only option I've found that looks promising for that. Only other option are lcd displays with separate control boards but I can only fine 3.5" and up versions to date.

Your link doesn't give dimensions of it but does look to be the same. Got a bit more research to do yet and more looking for other options but Might be worth the punt.

markusbydark

Post by markusbydark » 21 Jul 2014, 14:06

Think it is the Oriscape VF-2c,

I can get the above for £65 so seems about right

CrocodileDundee

Post by CrocodileDundee » 21 Jul 2014, 14:13

phoenix wrote:Just had another closer look at the viewfinder in your link - I'm 99.9% sure it is an Oriscape VF-2c, the display looks a bit big in the picture because thay have moved the rubber eyepiece back to show the display more clearly.
That means it's not a 1.5inch display, as I said in my previous post it's either 0.5 or 0.6.
They are good displays - several forum members are using them in builds and thy are used in Nite Teks NT200 and 300 NV add on units and in the Ward D vision NV add on unit

Do they have some form of magnification in front of the screen to make it appear bigger?

That ward D system looks good. And small in size as well.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 21 Jul 2014, 15:38

Yes, there's a plastic lens which magnifies the image on the display up to a size sutiable for viewing.
Focussing the magnified image is done by a small wheel adjuster which moves the lens backward and forwards relative to the display

Cheers

Bruce

CrocodileDundee

Post by CrocodileDundee » 21 Jul 2014, 16:19

OK. makes sense. Just been looking at my current screens. and no way in hell I can focus on them with my eye close so would need something me thinks.

Could even use it as a single unit. Machine up a 2 piece square body so the top can come off for access to mount/install everything and screw a couple QD bases to the bottom. And have the end cap in 2 pieces (or even part of the body) as well and make it sandwich the viewer in place when its screwed together. Put a voltage regulator in the body (which would act as a heat sink) to run the screen on 5v and the camera on 12. (pretty sure the camera is 12v?). And machine up a single cap for the other end to house the camera and lense.

Then I'd only need a 12v power in and a single switch and could connect the camera video to the rca on the back of the viewer. Only thing I'd have to bypass would be the viewer power button for it to turn on with the camera. That way it would still maintain the screen adjustment buttons and access to them. :think:

jdk1

Post by jdk1 » 21 Jul 2014, 16:58

phoenix wrote:Just had another closer look at the viewfinder in your link - I'm 99.9% sure it is an Oriscape VF-2c, the display looks a bit big in the picture because thay have moved the rubber eyepiece back to show the display more clearly.
I done a search for the model number LCD15M and it is listed on other sites as 1.5"

http://www.nst.com/15-Inch-Color-Adjust ... fo/LCD15M/