Wireless/wifi to smart phone?

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Snapper

Wireless/wifi to smart phone?

Post by Snapper » 21 Apr 2014, 19:19

Just a quick question, is it possible to plug a dongle into the AV out plug on a camera and send the wifi signal to a smart phone direct or via one of the CCTV apps?

Torchwood

Re: Wireless/wifi to smart phone?

Post by Torchwood » 21 Apr 2014, 19:31

Im not a geek, but I think the dongle would work with pc hardware to be able to opperate, without extra hardware I dont think so.
If you can create wifi hotspot, it is possible, but I can tell you from seeing videos on you tubbe related with quadcoters, there is a second or so lag.

rangerdave

Post by rangerdave » 21 Apr 2014, 21:32

I've been looking into this for a while now, and not come up with anything even close to a working model, which is a shame, as most modern smartphones these days have excellent HD screens and recording facilities, and I've always thought they would make a great monitor/DVR for NV!

The problems I've encountered are;

How to get the signal from camera to phone, Wi-fi is not generally an option, as most shooting is done far from any hot-spots, and carrying around a dedicated router isn't generally an option!.

Bluetooth is a possibility, especially with newer and faster versions on the horizon, but do suffer from the above mentioned lag!

Wired would be fine if there was an app or some sort of programming available from the camera makers, so the phone recognizes the camera, CCTV packages sometimes have these, but again, usually work on having a network running on Wi-fi

2.4/5.8gHz wireless works well for NV add-ons, but have yet to find a work-around to get a phone to receive the signal, might be possible for someone who knows what he's doing inside the workings of a smartphone, and I might have a doner Samsung Galaxy S3 in a month or so when I renew my contract, it's a nice phone but would be worth the effort if I could get it to work......instant start-up, touchscreen, pinch zoom, HD video recording, + sound.........it's got to have the makings of the ultimate DVR for NV? :thumbup:

If anyone comes up with something that might work, I'd be very interested to hear it! :D

Snapper

Post by Snapper » 21 Apr 2014, 22:45

Thanks for the replys. Looks like it could be a possible future development by someone then. It certainly would be a very useful way of recording footage for many different people.

ArAKern

Post by ArAKern » 24 Apr 2014, 13:03

Just for reference

Contor HD POV can connect via Bluetooth to a app on a phone
but the display is a little laggy so the technology is defiantly there.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 24 Apr 2014, 13:37

ArAKern wrote:Just for reference

Contor HD POV can connect via Bluetooth to a app on a phone
but the display is a little laggy so the technology is defiantly there.

The "little laggy" is the problem.
At this time, I don't believe there's any way for a 25 frame/second video signal to be directly connected to or sent to a smart phone or tablet and have the screen display the image in real time.
If anyone knows of a way of doing this at a reasonable cost, then please let us all know because it will be the next step forward in DIY NV.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

rangerdave

Post by rangerdave » 24 Apr 2014, 14:23

The "little laggy" is the problem.
At this time, I don't believe there's any way for a 25 frame/second video signal to be directly connected to or sent to a smart phone or tablet and have the screen display the image in real time.
If anyone knows of a way of doing this at a reasonable cost, then please let us all know because it will be the next step forward in DIY NV.

Cheers

Bruce

I agree Bruce, smartphones are an amazing piece of hard/software, but one of the hardest to connect to (without any lag) with anything other than what their makers want us to, namely their own and licenced accompanying products........such a shame!
New Bluetooth standards are in the pipeline which might speed things up I hear, maybe some enterprising spark with figure a workaround for us one day?
The only other way I see it happening, is if the camera makers would start integrating the Linux UVC drivers needed for smartphones to recognize them through their USB OTG (On The Go) cables, there are already some CCTV cameras and webcams out there that can, but from what I've seen so far, not up to what we're looking for for NV!

ATB,
Dave