My first scopeless with a SLR lens

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Torchwood

My first scopeless with a SLR lens

Post by Torchwood » 17 Apr 2014, 13:13

This is my first scopeless and the third build in total, after building two add ons, I thought would be nice to have a scopeless rig.
Started with a miracle cottage bullet cam from aliexpress.
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1192889915 ... sitedetail
than send the cam to some bloke to do his magic with a 30mm tube with c thread. ( thanks Dave, spot on. Dead center too).
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic ... 0&start=50
Been looking on ebay for a suitable lens, c or m42? Well at the end settle for m42. Bought a array of them. First 135mm f2.8 (£16.80) 90-190mm f5.6 (£8) and finally 50mm f1.8 prime (£8.62). ( many thanks to terry for a lot of input on slr lenses http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6999)
Some examples on 135mm f2.8 m42 lenses.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=M42 ... m+lens+2.8
I was waiting for c to m42 adaptor which turned up today.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111204375289?na ... ING_ACTIVE
screen and torch yesterday.
Put the lot together this morning. I use privacy mask for reticle, 1800mah batteries from el wirecraft.
http://www.elwirecraft.co.uk/340/el-acc ... river-led/
While I was at it, put a 2.4ghz transmiter in the screen box to go with my other wireless unit. Total cost for what's in pics is less than £150.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/310664977526?na ... ING_ACTIVE

Bullet cam traffic light osd on the side of the 3.5"monitor.

Torch is not moded yet, ( will be asking for my winning soon :D ) Will update with videos later.

And just a size difference with the add on. Total weight without torch 885g

And now with 50mm f1.8, weighs and measures half as much.

Last edited by Torchwood on 19 Apr 2014, 12:01, edited 9 times in total.

AirRifleSport

Re: My first scopeless with a SLR lens

Post by AirRifleSport » 17 Apr 2014, 13:33

Ha! I was thinking about the use of SLR lenses... just last night! :)

Another clean and tidy build there. That lens seems a bit too close to that barrel tough. I would suggest that the power plug and switch be moved below the monitor as I think these will get better protection from moisture/water ingress.

When is the video coming out? :D
...the doctor said that I need to do gentle exercise... I said to him that I already did... trigger squeezing!

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood » 17 Apr 2014, 13:39

AirRifleSport wrote:Ha! I was thinking about the use of SLR lenses... just last night! :)

Another clean and tidy build there. That lens seems a bit too close to that barrel tough. I would suggest that the power plug and switch be moved below the monitor as I think these will get better protection from moisture/water ingress.

When is the video coming out? :D
Lens clears the barrel by 3mm. I like it as close as poss ( Hft habit ). Power plug and switch will be moved to the right side as the battery box was a bit tight for the component inside. I had to split t the three cell battery to get it it. Will get a bit deeper box and power socket next time I'm in maplins.

grantellissheffield

Post by grantellissheffield » 17 Apr 2014, 15:33

that looks AMAZING :clap:

terry1001

Post by terry1001 » 17 Apr 2014, 16:13

Looks very promising, just need to see it in action now.

baffled

Post by baffled » 17 Apr 2014, 17:03

Torchwood,
Well done mate!
It's almost an exact replica of the one on which I am still working.
Looking forward to seeing the results so I'll have something to aim for.
I eventually went for Olympus mount lenses just because I had some already.

Again, well done, a very nice build.

Regards,
Ken.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 17 Apr 2014, 17:19

That's a very tidy job Toni. :thumbup:

I especially like the OSD button placing and would like a peek at how you did that just out of curiosity - and because I think it warrants singling out for it's ingenuity... and no cabling. :angel:

If you are able to drive with that rested on the door mirror it will serve as a spotter for driving with your head up and still allows a cheek weld if that is preferred as the shooting position: I find mine a perfect sort of multi purpose crossover rig type, allowing both head up and down if you like. Being slightly dyslexic I can't think of the right word at the moment. :crazy:

Hasten the movie mate, any time this bank holiday will do. :D

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 17 Apr 2014, 19:09

Torchwood wrote:( will be asking for my winning soon :D )

just let me know what you want and where to send it matey
when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood » 17 Apr 2014, 19:31

some bloke wrote:That's a very tidy job Toni. :thumbup:

I especially like the OSD button placing and would like a peek at how you did that just out of curiosity - and because I think it warrants singling out for it's ingenuity... and no cabling. :angel:

If you are able to drive with that rested on the door mirror it will serve as a spotter for driving with your head up and still allows a cheek weld if that is preferred as the shooting position: I find mine a perfect sort of multi purpose crossover rig type, allowing both head up and down if you like. Being slightly dyslexic I can't think of the right word at the moment. :crazy:

Hasten the movie mate, any time this bank holiday will do. :D
As the monitor dosent have any adjustment, I thought the camera osd can be utalised for adjustment of brightness and contrast. To stars I made five tiny holes and shaved the osd controler to the core ( just the front and sides ) so it wouldn't touch the lcd and made a good fit on the side curve. It works perfectly. Left and right buttons is alined with shooting position, up and down easy to find too. It's so convenient that I don't look at it when using for adjustment. Just so natural. It's only the fist day and I'm so familiar with the osd.
Tried it with pentacon 50mm 1.8f, it's much lighter by 200g and about 3.5x mag, perfect for rabbits and rats. Light gathering is amazing. Will take a video tonight and post. Will be going to a friend permission over bank holiday, will post something if I'm lucky.

Adam:

Not sure which way I'm going on the pill, 850 or 940, xp or tab driver. Keep it long or cut it short. If keeping it as it is will let you know on the pill. Thanks. I'm already sweating of guilt. :shifty:

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood » 17 Apr 2014, 19:43

baffled wrote:Torchwood,
Well done mate!
It's almost an exact replica of the one on which I am still working.
Looking forward to seeing the results so I'll have something to aim for.
I eventually went for Olympus mount lenses just because I had some already.

Again, well done, a very nice build.

Regards,
Ken.
Thanks ken,
After playing with it for a while with different lenses, I sake myself why i didn't go this way before, it's perfect setup IMHO. These slr lenses are far superior to any of lenses widely available for cctv. As a young man I was fascinated with 3 1/4 and 35mm camera, have many mamiya and canon lenses somewhere in the loft, have to dig them out and get the right adaptor for them.
If you need any help just let me know, one thing I suggest is the tube for bullet cam, it's worth every penny.
Im already tinkering with the idea of same scopeless design with oled or oriscope display.

Toni