Has anyone tried to use a digital camera screen?

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Plowboy

Has anyone tried to use a digital camera screen?

Post by Plowboy » 29 Sep 2013, 23:16

Hey all, I have an old digital camera screen that I have sitting around. I have no idea if I could get a wiring diagram for it but it would be quite good if I could get it working. Has anyone tried one?

sedstar

Re: Has anyone tried to use a digital camera screen?

Post by sedstar » 30 Sep 2013, 03:05

saw some on alibaba...

they were "HDMI", so, i guess youd need a "HDMI to AV" box (they sell one, one)

the screens are a tad high priced even at alibaba prices... but they advertise great resolution...
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 30 Sep 2013, 06:51

Plowboy wrote:Hey all, I have an old digital camera screen that I have sitting around. I have no idea if I could get a wiring diagram for it but it would be quite good if I could get it working. Has anyone tried one?

I don't want to sound like a killjoy but I don't think this is a practical idea, even if you can get a wiring diagram.
The LCD screens we use for our NV kit are all designed to accept the analogue video signal from a cctv camera. These screens all have a separate circuit board (called an analogue to digital convertor) which converts the analogue video signal into a stream of digital data which makes the relevant pixels in the LCD display switch on and off in the correct sequence so that a recognisable image is produced.
If you look at the wiring between the LCD display and the separate circuit board it usually consists of a very thin and delicate plastic strip with a large number of circuit tracks printed onto it .
In your digital camera, there is no analogue to digital convertor, because the light sensor is also digital so there's no need to convert the camera signal to analogue and then back again to digital to drive the display.
The end result is that if you want to use the screen from your old digital camera with a standard cctv camera of the type we all use for our nv kit, then you'll need an analogue to digital convertor of some type. I'd say the chances of finding the right analogue to digital convertor to match your screen are pretty small since it would need to have a connector to mate with the cable coming from your screen, have all the connections in the right order to match the sequence on the cable coming from your screen, and have all the individual signal amplitudes and timings to match the requirements of the LCD panel.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

jamez

Post by jamez » 30 Sep 2013, 07:41

phoenix is correct I think... you need a driver board that also does the analog-to-digital conversion from composite video to a format specific for the monitor.
Driver board also controls/powers the backlight of the screen.

I've thought about the same , using a camera monitor or a small attachable EVF for digital cameras.
Some of those are OLED, high contrast and XGA resolution. But I have no idea how they interface with the camera.

I've been searching for a high resolution (least 640x480) display of good quality that is no more than 3.5".
I found this one. and I'm quite tempted to try one out. It has a seperate driver board that takes composite or VGA input:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180922018470
I just find it a bit expensive, and I don't have a good plan on how to make a housing for it... yet.

andybig

Post by andybig » 30 Sep 2013, 07:59

So are there any other small analog screens floating around other than the camcorder veiw finders and the video glasses?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 30 Sep 2013, 08:56

andybig wrote:So are there any other small analog screens floating around other than the camcorder veiw finders and the video glasses?

There are 1.8" LCD panels available but the resolution (number of pixels) is low - typically 160x128 so won't give a very clear picture. Also, the panels of that size that I've seen don't come with the analogue to digital convertor board needed to allow a video signal from a camera to create an image on the display.

Cheers

Bruce

terry1001

Post by terry1001 » 30 Sep 2013, 09:00

andybig wrote:So are there any other small analog screens floating around other than the camcorder veiw finders and the video glasses?
How small do you want to go? I know some people have used the units sold for use in cars etc which have a camera/screen and recorder all in one, they are often 2.5" but the screen resolution is quite low. You can't mount them very close to your eyes as you'll have difficulty focussing on them unless you use them with a loupe and then you are likely to suffer from large pixels making the image unpleasant to watcch. There are small OLED screens with good resolution but they are still very expensive.
If you know what you're doing it is possible to modify some of the Android devices to take a video input, replacing the built in camera. Most of these have usb inputs so finding a suitable camera is going to be a problem, some have hdmi as well but that will probably be even more difficult to sort out.

andybig

Post by andybig » 30 Sep 2013, 09:33

So the analog view finders out of the old camcorders are the highest resolution screens available for close and fully enclosed viewing for our needs?
How do they compare to the video glasses resolution?
Iv noticed some of the newer video glasses come with a 3.5mm jack plug.
I know my old flip up video glasses work with our cameras (Rated at 52inch virtual screen) but some of the newer ones advertised mention it looking like a 98 inch screen at 2 meters?
Mine are being butchered in the near future for a project because my left eye cant focus that close to the screen.
Sorry for all the questions :oops:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 30 Sep 2013, 09:49

I've not played with any old camcoder CRT type viewfinders, but a few forum members have and I think they've been pretty good.
About 1.5" is as small as standard LCD panels go. Smaller than that and you're into OLED dispalys as mentioned by Terry 1001 and the Kopin near eye displays as used in video eyewear.
If your existing video glasses are rated at a 52" screen equivalent, then they are 320x240 near eye displays. The newer, more expensive video glasses use 640x480 near eye displays.
However, when you buy video glasses, you're paying for 2 dispalys and the associated electronics.
Oriscape sell a 640x480 single display module with a driver board
http://www.oriscape.com.cn/en/products. ... 257&id=135
This is the older 320x240 module, but if you're interested, e mail them and ask them for a price for the 640x480 module

Cheers

Bruce

andybig

Post by andybig » 30 Sep 2013, 10:11

The reason i ask is i have a couple of projects in mind.
The first would be to use my video glasses for night vision goggles by mounting a board camera on the front. (remove the left display so i can retain some natural night vision with my left eye)
The second idea is to use a single display as part of a scopeless setup. Instead of using my 5" screen.
Iv got one of the crosshair generator from igor.

I know its going to be one or the other as you only get one set of drivers.

Cheers Bruce i couldn't find there website anywhere.

Iv just had a look at the link and its the GVD410 video glasses that iv got, having that sort of low resolution it will probably be NV goggles with 1 X mag front lens. F/1.2 8-12mm lens to get around the 10mm ish.
I did have some of there NV goggles designed by Noctron about 7 years ago and they are good but they have a 16mm lens and its like walking around looking through binoculars which is no good for walking the fields in the dark. :lol: