Rolaids 1.x Update for DIY Night Vision

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Rolaids

Rolaids 1.x Update for DIY Night Vision

Post by Rolaids » 28 Sep 2013, 16:16

Hi Guys!

This video is just some updates to my Rolaids NV1.0-1.5 builds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBoKu78yil8

I spent a lot of testing to try what lens has the best results for an add-on rig and show my top choice here. Also, a new way to mount the 5" HD monitor and the E700 camera. I updated my parts spreadsheet https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3835764/Rolaid ... 0List.xlsx with the few new parts.

Have fun building! 8-)
Roland

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Rolaids 1.x Update for DIY Night Vision

Post by some bloke » 28 Sep 2013, 17:08

Boy what a come back! :thumbup:

We have missed your unique and very watchable videos and I look forwards to seeing what else you have been up to.

That rubber bellows is a very clever idea.

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood » 28 Sep 2013, 17:20

Enjoyed it as usual, f stop was a good reminder, lot of good info. We definitely missed you this side of the pond. Keep them coming.
E700 is a winner for me.

michael40

Post by michael40 » 28 Sep 2013, 20:55

yeah welcome back mate. you have done some work yet again there Roland.some good tips and info too.

I thought my eBay lens was better than the 12mm stock lens I had with the e700, but now you have confirmed it I wont both testing the 12mm anymore

fantastic work on the spread sheet mate, must of taken hours :clap:

nice work and thanks for posting Roland :thumbup:

atb, mike

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 28 Sep 2013, 23:30

h-ray, looking good rolaids..

dohhhh rubber eye peice of course! lolol...
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

beakie74

Post by beakie74 » 29 Sep 2013, 14:33

hey Rolaid ,
great video, finally some clear informative advice and information on lenses :thumbup:
Id actually thought about using the rubber eye piece the same way for my next build but but i looks like you get the credit for the idea :mrgreen:

techno

Post by techno » 29 Sep 2013, 18:37

HI Roland, i contacted sure24 the uk distributor to ask how to strip the ej230 for machining, and ive a photo of the unit stripped.
It comes apart easily using a pair of thin nosed pliers wrapped in tape ,turning the large rear disc with the joystick in it, in an anti clockwise direction.The holes are about 3mm diameter, dont try and undo the joystick by mistake!!
You can now machine the camera body,and pick off the IR filter easily and without any swarf ingress.
All the best Paul aka Techno.

Rolaids

Post by Rolaids » 29 Sep 2013, 20:44

Thanks Paul! I have had on my list for some time to do a video about IR removal on a few different ones as I also later learned this after initial video. I am glad to see this shared as I sure am slow getting this stuff put together :roll:

The updates to the Rolaids NV3.0 Scopeless will include a custom body that replaces the main tube ;) :thumbup: :thumbup:

techno

Post by techno » 29 Sep 2013, 21:09

HI Roland, that custom tube sounds cool!.cant wait.
I'm wrapping my ej230 in a billet alloy outer tube , with an access hole machined in the side for joystick control, the tube OD will be 30mm to fit the standard mounts and to match to dia of the edmunds optics adaptor.I did think to make the inner hole slightly larger than the bullet cam and adjust the zero using grub screws to physically move the bullet within the tube to effect a physical zero without moving the electronic crosshairs.
I'm using a 6-60mm lens from stock optics http://www.stockoptics.com/varifocal-ma ... oated.html.So far the image is very crisp,and i'm hoping this will suffice.
I'll post next week after a visit to the machine shop.
I have had an idea, but it requires electronics skills above my station,the idea is to use a dc auto iris lens in a "manual" mode, by moving the lens iris electrically.this will give you a greater choice of lens.
You tube linky.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-CvktsQ28
Keep you posted,regards Paul

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 30 Sep 2013, 03:13

hmmm. i seem to remember one of the "photo camera guys" on here, a ways back... explaining that the "board lens i already had that came with it" was surely admitting more "light than the little sensor could use already" and that nothing was to be gained with a bigger lens on my camera...

*sigh*

thanks for the update(s) ROland! (I had suspected as much, lol... was considering tryin a c or CS lens behind a scope to see if it upped the performance, lol)

nice trick with the ball mount, that was slick...
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...