DIY Night Vision Viewing Devices

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Rolaids

DIY Night Vision Viewing Devices

Post by Rolaids » 28 Jun 2013, 17:32

http://youtu.be/8JlnCu0VPbw - Video link for a review of current DIY Night Vision Monitors and Glasses

…for all those who want a bigger view! :-D

PESCA

Re: DIY Night Vision Viewing Devices

Post by PESCA » 28 Jun 2013, 18:03

Nice one, Roland. Thanks for posting your review :thumbup:

George

michael40

Post by michael40 » 28 Jun 2013, 18:17

Nice review there mate. How much have you spent on kit.

Rolaids

Post by Rolaids » 28 Jun 2013, 21:03

michael40 wrote:Nice review there mate. How much have you spent on kit.
My kits are always changing as I play with different setups ;) . Check out my spread sheet here for parts and $$$ https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/383 ... 0List.xlsx

...and look thru the builds I have done and reviewed here: (main YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/RolaidsBench/videos)

Rolaids NV 1.0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wnNFR99xGI

Rolaids NV 2.0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdb3GMy1wDI

Rolaids NV 3.0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLpqHv1fmQU

Hope this helps :)
Roland

philcbr

Post by philcbr » 29 Jun 2013, 06:44

Roland, You're a top fella :clap: Thanks for another excellent video.

All the best Phil.

lenny.sch

Post by lenny.sch » 30 Jun 2013, 00:36

Hi Roland,
Good to hear from you again, you always have some great testing going on !!

With screen size I find it seems to be a compromise between size, viewing distance and resolution to get the best image.
Even though some of the larger screens ( 7" to 12" ) can have higher resolution I find the bigger the screen the further away from it you need to be for it look clear and less grainy so they are best suited as remote viewing screens for spectators or in your vehicle on the dashboard as a spotter screen.
The little 2.5" dvr screen I have seems to be really crisp and sharp but it is toooooo small for direct viewing, I have tried it with a camera loup but while magnifying the image it also makes it grainy to the point where the 4.2" screens seem way better.

Something to try with your TE968H DVR is when using a board camera or the EJ camera leave it on colour mode and set your privacy reticle to say red or green if you like and the camera will send a colour synchronizing signal to the TE968H DVR so it won't lock up when you try to record with it. This is just a work around and I too hope they do a Firmware update to fix it..

The wireless transmission has potential to be able to record and view on many devices without messy wires getting cought on every thing, This is why I purchased the TE968H because it has the 8 channel receiver and 1 of those channels is tuned to the one you have with the flying leads. That particular transmitter gets hot because it has a generic 5v regulator in it to drop the 12v input down to 5v but doesn't have a heatsink on it to cool it, It is only meant to be used as a reversing camera on a car and wired into the reversing light circuit at the back of the car so it only comes on for a short time while in reverse.

The scopeless rig I made has the wireless module from that unit mounted inside the 4.2" screen and wired to the 5v buck regulator part in the screen and doesn't get hot at all.

Keep well,
Regards: lenny.

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 30 Jun 2013, 08:26

Lenny.
Did you make the side mount for the screen yourself. I am trying to configure how to do this on my rifle set up that I am putting together. I want it to be able to fold the screen in, for easier putting in a bag for going from permission to permission.

Ian

lenny.sch

Post by lenny.sch » 30 Jun 2013, 11:49

SikaStag wrote:Lenny.
Did you make the side mount for the screen yourself. I am trying to configure how to do this on my rifle set up that I am putting together. I want it to be able to fold the screen in, for easier putting in a bag for going from permission to permission.

Ian
Hi Ian.
Yes I did make the side mount for the screen, also the long weaver rail on that Savage Arms 22 WMR.
I purchased a mini-mill a while back and making your own custom parts is part of the challenge, Unfortunately it makes it hard for others to do the same.

This is the part I made to go onto the rail, it just has a threaded hole in the top with a grub screw to lock it to the rail.

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 30 Jun 2013, 12:48

Thanks Lenny
I like it. I bought a table top mill back end of last year. I have not to making anything from scratch like what you have done. For a one off part that would be ok. I have 2-3 scope mounted set upd that I need to do the same for them all. Would be practical to do this for them.

Thanks again

Ian

mickyt

Post by mickyt » 04 Jul 2013, 14:50

lenny.sch wrote:Hi Roland,
Good to hear from you again, you always have some great testing going on !!

With screen size I find it seems to be a compromise between size, viewing distance and resolution to get the best image.
Even though some of the larger screens ( 7" to 12" ) can have higher resolution I find the bigger the screen the further away from it you need to be for it look clear and less grainy so they are best suited as remote viewing screens for spectators or in your vehicle on the dashboard as a spotter screen.
The little 2.5" dvr screen I have seems to be really crisp and sharp but it is toooooo small for direct viewing, I have tried it with a camera loup but while magnifying the image it also makes it grainy to the point where the 4.2" screens seem way better.

Something to try with your TE968H DVR is when using a board camera or the EJ camera leave it on colour mode and set your privacy reticle to say red or green if you like and the camera will send a colour synchronizing signal to the TE968H DVR so it won't lock up when you try to record with it. This is just a work around and I too hope they do a Firmware update to fix it..

The wireless transmission has potential to be able to record and view on many devices without messy wires getting cought on every thing, This is why I purchased the TE968H because it has the 8 channel receiver and 1 of those channels is tuned to the one you have with the flying leads. That particular transmitter gets hot because it has a generic 5v regulator in it to drop the 12v input down to 5v but doesn't have a heatsink on it to cool it, It is only meant to be used as a reversing camera on a car and wired into the reversing light circuit at the back of the car so it only comes on for a short time while in reverse.

The scopeless rig I made has the wireless module from that unit mounted inside the 4.2" screen and wired to the 5v buck regulator part in the screen and doesn't get hot at all.

Keep well,
thats an interesting lens setup you have there, can i ask what sort of image are you getting from it and on full zoom what sort of range would you say you still get a clean clear image ?

Atb
Mick