Dummies guide to DIY reversing camera conversion

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
ratz1

Re: Dummies guide to DIY reversing camera conversion

Post by ratz1 » 01 Apr 2013, 21:13

your right paul it is m12 thread normally on board camera's, and most bullet cameras.
a c or cs mount can be put on most board cam's just a screw on a cheap mount from china.
ratz1
High Velocity Instant Fatal Lead Poisoning. Interested in state of the ark technology

jax13

Post by jax13 » 01 Apr 2013, 21:50

to copy and paste from my similar query on airgunbbs today, i got the following reply (although i have taken out the irrelevant stuff)

My setup, with a 1/3" sharp CCD and nightmaster IR is awesome. Watching Roe deer browsing the hedge at the end of my zeroing field was no problem last night, and that's a known 225 yds. Rabbits I am personally happy to shoot out to about 120yds, but can see them much further. I've taken a couple of foxes over 200yds.

the spec & my shopping list to make an equivalent system is as follows...

Home 1/3" Sharp CCD 420 TVL 36 IR (£15.66)
12V DC Rechargeable Li-po Battery for CCTV Cam 6800mAh (with charger) (£12.88)
Brand new 3.5 inch TFT LCD Color display screen (£17.98)
2 WAY 2.1mm DC POWER SPLITTER CABLE (£1.99)
then either
9-22mm Manual Zoom CCTV Lens For Board Camera (16.20)
16mm lens for cctv camera (£12.60)

so i'm looking at £65 give or take a couple of quid for all the bits i need minus any casing and mounting items (although i should have pretty much everything i need lying around to be honest)

the only thing not listed is an ir illuminator but i was planning on using my lamp with a filter for now and then going down the line of a proper one if i stick with the concept of shooting without looking down a scope!

does this sound like a setup capable of 50 / 60 yard shooting (and further for spotting?)

is the illumination (or lack of) the biggest hindrance to the proposed spec?

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 01 Apr 2013, 23:40

A digi add-on in the price bracket you're looking at will need lots of infrared, it will hopefully see as far as a powerful enough IR beam shines.
At what range that beam is powerful enough depends on the camera and it's IR sensitivity.
When choosing screens and cameras they ideally need to be matched for resolution, no good putting a 320x240 res camera on a 640x480 screen and visa versa, the higher res will be particularly beneficial at greater distances.
Beware buying screens that don't have a similar numeric relationship to those above, if you see one that states 960x240 they're pulling your leg, each pixel consists of red, green and blue, RGB equals 1 pixel, the dodgy folk out there count each colour, hence 3 per pixel, 320 x 3 = 960, but it's still a low res screen.
For good resolution bigger numbers are better (except those explained above) for sensitivity lower numbers are better.
The tool driving this vehicle is removed at night. Sometimes.

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 02 Apr 2013, 11:43

a slight back track but every one says 50-60 yards is plenty for airgun ranges.. but i know from the old lamping days you need a good eye shie at 100 yards if your on rabbit, saves a lot of dead end walking.
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 02 Apr 2013, 12:40

snoopy wrote:a slight back track but every one says 50-60 yards is plenty for airgun ranges.. but i know from the old lamping days you need a good eye shie at 100 yards if your on rabbit, saves a lot of dead end walking.
absolutly right mate. you also need to see far enough to ensure a safe shot, but i got sick of saying that a while ago
when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

jax13

Post by jax13 » 02 Apr 2013, 18:50

I appreciate that chaps, but I know the land (it's our own) and I know where the bunnies typically are so the rig will be used for static shooting at known hotspots from known ranges with solid back stops.

Iowphil

Post by Iowphil » 02 Apr 2013, 20:18

im using one of these cameras at the moment.
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/produ ... amera.html

is there any benifit for me to remove the focusable lens for a fixed lens like the 16 or 25?

bighit1985

Post by bighit1985 » 02 Apr 2013, 21:45

Iowphil wrote:im using one of these cameras at the moment.
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/produ ... amera.html

is there any benifit for me to remove the focusable lens for a fixed lens like the 16 or 25?
what sort of range you getting with this camera??

Iowphil

Post by Iowphil » 02 Apr 2013, 21:47

150 yards

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 03 Apr 2013, 02:28

Iowphil wrote:150 yards
The same camera as your mate Short then? :angel: If shorty's vids were with that lens on full zoom a 25mm one will possibly just cover up the edges of the bloom he had with the Oslon black/plain lens flat glass torch.

Yes you'll get slightly better results from either a 16 or 25.

Get one with an Iris control because you'll have more control over the amount of light getting in. If you use yours it at the same shutter speed as Shorty I'd suggest you increase the shutter speed a tad which will reduce that jumpy rabbit eye shine a bit as you pass them, and the scene will not bloom as much.