Camera Mount

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
dm800

Camera Mount

Post by dm800 » 04 Sep 2018, 10:02

Been reading loads and loads but some of the info is a little bit dated now and things may have moved on.

What are peopling using to mount their screen to there home-brew nv these days?

poppy mae

Re: Camera Mount

Post by poppy mae » 04 Sep 2018, 11:24

Best option is one of Someblokes screen boxes.......

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 04 Sep 2018, 12:32

Hiya, Assuming its a screen mount you want rather than a camera mount in the thread title?

There are many options ranging from glued on part scope mounts upwards, depending on how nice, delicate or robust you want it to be - and pocket depth. I have not used any of those cheap options so I won't comment on them.

As I have a few custom moulded 5" monitor/battery boxes still available I can offer two bespoke options if you are not looking for cheap solutions.

The unique boxes are £30 posted RMSD. They have monitor depth seating pillars solvent welded to the sides that allow the friction fit monitor to pivot on them for removal. I can weld a second laminate inside the torch fitting area and cut the hole you see in it for you if requested. The hole is made using a jig - so it has to be where you see it or not be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNOhhMY1UsE

If your pocket is much deeper I can turn down an EVO torch front tube, internally thread the rear end to accept the brass bush seen in the photo, machine off the cooling fins to be clamped out of sight inside a substantial quick release mount, incorporate a machined shim to lift the torch beam slightly above center in the monitor. Then secure the torch body to the box with the bush and drill and tap it for two anti-rotation screws passing through the box into the torch body - one of which is used to connect the neutral cable. The alloy quick release mount acts as a better heat sink than the fins that have been removed. A Black Sun Ruby pill will be wired and fitted with 1mm solid copper trailing cable soldered ready for next ops.

Buyer finishes it off any way he wants perhaps with a single battery pack - this is how I fit mine out because I will not supply batteries with any device I make:

A weaver rail topped scope torch adaptor will be supplied with it.

That assembly would be £110 posted RMSD and the completed item will be as per the image seen in my signature photo below - or follow this link to see how seriously sturdy the assembled module is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu8wVIAhErU
Last edited by some bloke on 05 Sep 2018, 18:06, edited 7 times in total.

dm800

Post by dm800 » 04 Sep 2018, 14:46

Thanks Guys. Initial build is going to be a tester on the cheap.

dm800

Post by dm800 » 04 Sep 2018, 14:50

Yes it should say Screen mount.....dooooh

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 04 Sep 2018, 16:40

dm800 wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 14:50
Yes it should say Screen mount.....dooooh
Lol, I'm sure someone will be along with cheaper solutions soon.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 05 Sep 2018, 17:36

Well - DOH...

Someone could have told me I'd screwed up big time with the details of the fitted torch body and pill option - I'm blaming medication, dyslexia approaching dementia, being half asleep and anything else I can think of later. :D

Description is now edited to point out that > I < fit the EVO torch body and pill to the box. :oops:

terry1001

Post by terry1001 » 16 Sep 2018, 15:49

The monitor probably comes with a cheap, lightweight swivel mount with a flat base for screwing to the dashboard. If you have a weaver base on your scope, various ways to do this and it's the simplest way to fit torches etc, then get a weaver scope mount and take off the top ring half. Use this to mark the screw hole positions onto the bottom of the monitor stand and drill clearance holes for the screws. Screw the monitor base to the lower part of the scope mount and trim off any excess plastic.