Best Monocular - for spotting sub £1000

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Michael7

Best Monocular - for spotting sub £1000

Post by Michael7 » 12 Aug 2018, 17:06

Hi fellas,

My names Michael and I’m hoping to get some expert advice on here. As the title says I’m looking for the best monocular/ night vision set up.

The reason I will be using it is to try and catch some poachers whom are emptying fish from our local rivers. In this warm weather the rivers have been very low and it is making it easy for them to choose the pools the fish are in and they are netting it and emptying them at an alarming rate!!!

We have decided to try and catch them but need a little help so have decided on some NV equipment. After trawling through various reviews and write ups on different ones we have drawn a blank as they seem to be very hit and miss and people’s opinions vary a great deal! This is when I found this forum and hoped you guys might help!

We need the NV to identify car types, we suspect at least three different vehicles! We would also like to identify how many people are actually in the cars, as well as their hiding spots along the banks and points of entry and exit to the various pools. I think 300 yards would be the furthest we would need to see.

I hope you can help guys, and thanks for reading Michael.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Best Monocular - for spotting sub £1000

Post by phoenix » 12 Aug 2018, 17:32

For less than £1k you won't be getting any thermal kit - which would be the best since you would be completely covert.
Night vision equipment within your budget will require infra red illumination and that can be seen by humans
To be able to identify vehicle types and specifically registration numbers, will mean getting pretty close.
Registration numbers will be difficult to read because they will strongly reflect the infra red causing the sensor to "white out"
A friend of mine has recently become a bailiff on a river in North East Scotland and says that thermal is absolutely the way to go.
A new Pulsar Quantim lite XQ23V costs less than £1200 new and you could maybe get some discount on that from some retailers (try Blackwoods outdoors)
If you can, push your budget to get a thermal spotter - it will be money well spent.
Also, remember that if you buy online, you will have 14 days in which to decide whether to keep or return. if you return (without damage and with the original packaging) then your are legally entitled to a full refund. In this way you can "try before you buy"

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Michael7

Post by Michael7 » 12 Aug 2018, 18:26

I think we could push to that pheonix, is this the one you would recommend?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 12 Aug 2018, 19:41

It's the cheapest decent performance thermal available and will certainly enable you to see the ne'er do wells long before they know you are about
The next step up is Pulsar Helion XQ38F, but that's near £2k

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Michael7

Post by Michael7 » 14 Aug 2018, 23:55

Managed to get some more funds and bought the xq38f- arrives tommorrow! Hope I’ve made the right choice !!

Michael7

Post by Michael7 » 14 Aug 2018, 23:55

Managed to get some more funds and bought the xq38f- arrives tommorrow! Hope I’ve made the right choice !!