Quantum or Helion?

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
Superwolf

Quantum or Helion?

Post by Superwolf » 12 Aug 2018, 12:00

Hi,
I’ve been using Pulsar Quantum’s since not long after they came out and normally sell them when they’re reaching the end of their warranty. I always have 2 one as a remote thermal spotter (hd38s) attached to roof lamp with screen on dash and one round my neck for walking and follow up shots (XQ38).
I recently borrowed a pals Helion XQ38f and was very disappointed with it..
Firstly I found the controls tricky and cumbersome and then I just could not get as clearer image as with my old XQ Quantum even after days of fiddling with the settings and focus adjustment??
The blue info lettering was glaring lines right up the screen and it simply did not have the clarity at range as my old XQ??
Also when using the WiFi with remote screen it was laggy and kept loosing connection even at a foot away from the iPad!

Is there anyone using a Helion as a remote spotter through the WiFi or is there a way of hardwiring them? and is it a possibility that my mates is an early model Helion and the newer ones are better??
I’m in the market for new one as the HD38s warranty is up but am wondering if I’d be better off just trying to buy a secondhand XQ38 Quantum??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Quantum or Helion?

Post by phoenix » 12 Aug 2018, 12:45

The quantum and the helion use the same sensor, lens and display, so there should be no real difference in the image they produce.
I'd totally agree with you that the quantum is much more user friendly - you'll have difficulty finding one second hand because, if you have one, there's no real advantage in moving to a helion unless you really need the wifi
Re the wifi - there will always be lag, - there's no wifi system any where that doesn't have lag.
The helion does not have a video output, the only way to see the images remotely is with wifi.
I believe there is a firmware upgrade for the helions which reduces the brightness of the icons

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

robert16

Post by robert16 » 12 Aug 2018, 12:54

Iv had both and if I had to pick one it would be the quantum, easier to etc,no fancy record , and no difference in image

Superwolf

Post by Superwolf » 12 Aug 2018, 13:01

Ok thanks for that. I think I’ll stick with the Quantum’s then at least until something better comes along!
What is the reality of getting a Quantum repaired out of warranty is it possible?? And at what expense say for the mechanical shutter to be repaired which I believe to be a come fault with the older we’ll used ones??
Cheers

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 12 Aug 2018, 15:27

Really only Thomas Jacks in this country that can deal with repairs and I think in most cases they simply send them back to Pulsar - which can mean weeks or months away.
A faulty shutter is not necessarily a problem unless it sticks in the closed position. if it sticks in the open position, something matt black placed in front of the lens will have the same effect as the shutter and the unit will calibrate just fine

Cheers

Bruce

Superwolf

Post by Superwolf » 12 Aug 2018, 16:54

Yeah I thought so regards TJs. Interesting they have a couple of Quantum ex demos on eBay that they’ll only warranty for a month! I even rung them up to confirm... so basically £2k for a second hand XQ38 Quantum with one month warranty, just seems steep!
Great advice in regards to the calibration shutter makes perfect sense really! Thanks

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 12 Aug 2018, 17:06

The shutter is more likely to fail in the open position because there's small solenoid that has to receive power and then physically move the shutter in front of the sensor against spring pressure. if the shutter sticks in the closed position, I reckon a sharp tap on the side of the unit will free it with the spring pulling it back to the open position.
In short - hold on to your quantum and don't worry about it going wrong.
Electronics usually fail early in their life or go on for a very long time. Since the electronics (sensor and near eye display) have not failed, then you'll probably get many more years of trouble free service.

Cheers

Bruce

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 13 Aug 2018, 09:34

Jamie at TJ’s serviced the shutter in my old HD38S for free last year....they seem to start getting ‘sticky’ in that you can hear it starting to struggle at about 18months. That suggests it just needed re-lubricating.

It was done and back to me in 2 working days..... I think they can probably access it by removing the lens.

Don’t forget you need to ring and get a Returns number.

Bruce is right.....there was a Helion firmware upgrade early in the year which including being able to dim the icons down to a more user friendly level. The biggest bugbear for me with the XQ38F was it’s higher base mag and narrower field of view compared to the HD38S. I upgraded to an XP50 and that’s been brilliant...but I do miss the simplicity of the old HD38S.

Cheers

Fizz

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol: