New SB eyebell adaptor for floplast fittings

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

New SB eyebell adaptor for floplast fittings

Post by some bloke » 24 Mar 2015, 17:36

Possibly over engineered if it were made for just one scope size when you look at all the machine work involved but they will fit almost any plain eye bell there is with no shim tubes needed although I may supply shims if use shows up a need for them. :angel:

There are some popular eye bell diameters here - please update the list if you have one that is not listed and can measure the diameter with a vernier guage:
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic ... 29&t=11146

Price is £34 + £6 RMSD.
Floplast pipe fittings are available from Screwfix and B&Q etc.

The SB adaptor features a cap that clamps tighter as it is screwed onto the adaptor body. The deepest part of the main body has a taper that engages with the extreme rear of the eye bell/diopter adjustment as it is pushed fully forwards over it. The taper inside the front of the cap then nips up the front end so it is gripped front and rear.

They are primarily intended for the add-on home builder but I will offer a prebuilt modular add-on rig using them.
I will offer a modified Floplast fitting assembly for sale which has the end cap machined smooth at £10 with the adaptor.

EDIT: The adaptor is being revised so I have removed the photo's to avoid any confusion.
Last edited by some bloke on 26 Mar 2015, 11:01, edited 4 times in total.

poppy mae

Re: New eyebell adaptor for floplast fittings

Post by poppy mae » 24 Mar 2015, 17:47

Dave, how did you get on with the M.T.C scopes, as they have that knobbly eye bezel on the rear? always thought that was a pain.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 24 Mar 2015, 18:08

poppy mae wrote:Dave, how did you get on with the M.T.C scopes, as they have that knobbly eye bezel on the rear? always thought that was a pain.
Good question Pops. :angel:

I gave Mamba's a fair crack for daytime shooting and lamping - but always felt the knobs were a gimmick too far and and hated them because they also had a very milky and bland image agravated by reticles that were too comlicated for hunting IMO. The reticles were apparently designed by a competion target shooter. I did however find the performance very good for NV when mackling one up to a Digital Ranger years ago.

But given an add-on is all about a rig being a versatile general purpose all rounder - the poor daylight and lamp performance werent enough to justify keeping one. I subsequently progressed to a 'slip -on' rig and again decided the knobby scope parts were unneccessarily obstructive for DSA's.

Marky makes a splendid purpose made DSA solution for them and fair play to him for doing that.

poppy mae

Post by poppy mae » 24 Mar 2015, 18:21

Do know what you mean, must be an age thing! A friend of mine uses them, works well on the nv, but I cannot get on with that upsidedown xmas tree reticule, lamping, am a Simmons wtc person, easy ret on the eye.........

banjo48

Re: New SB eyebell adaptor for floplast fittings

Post by banjo48 » 26 Mar 2015, 09:54

Hi Some Bloke,

I've got the sure 24 E700 Nit- tek E700 bundle for MTC scopes, as per my other thread re the Hawke Airmax scope and the thread being different.

http://www.sure24.co.uk/kpc-e700mtc-cam ... mtc-scopes

Would your new adapter listed here be any good for me or will I now have to go the pulsar DSA way ? or any other ideas ?

I'm sort of stuck now. :cry:
CZ452 Classic 0.22lr Luger 9x12x40
HW100T FAC 0.22 Hawke Airmax 30 IR SF 6x24x50

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 26 Mar 2015, 10:49

banjo48 wrote:Hi Some Bloke,

I've got the sure 24 E700 Nit- tek E700 bundle for MTC scopes, as per my other thread re the Hawke Airmax scope and the thread being different.

http://www.sure24.co.uk/kpc-e700mtc-cam ... mtc-scopes

Would your new adapter listed here be any good for me or will I now have to go the pulsar DSA way ? or any other ideas ?

I'm sort of stuck now. :cry:
Which Airmax lol - the Airmax 30 has an IR obstruction on the eye bell, but I dont know how much of the eye bell is clear behind it.

Assuming you mean the Airmax EV that doesn't have the IR then yes it should indeed fit great, particularly with the revisions I am detailing in the next post.

banjo48

Post by banjo48 » 26 Mar 2015, 11:39

Hi mate

Sorry it's the new Hawke Airmax 30 IR SF 6x24x50 the thread diameter of my Sure e700/ MTC adapter is correct it's just the wrong thread to screw in.

Sorry don't understand what you mean by IR obstruction on the eye bell ?

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 26 Mar 2015, 11:48

Its good to talk - and I have had some good feedback from people in PM's and other places that have prompted a couple of revisions.

Firstly the adaptor is going to be made longer to include the 'tube' as an integral one piece component which will have a marginally smaller I/D so the camera holder part will be a tighter fit requiring a deiberate manly effort to insert and move it if needed to adjust eye relief distance:

Secondly a very good point has been raised that a person may want to swap it between rifles with very different scope eyebell diameters.
It will therefore be supplied as one size with split shim to accomodate any smooth eye bell diameter from 38mm to 43.5mm.

The final result will look like a more refined uniform diameter version of this if the end cap option is taken:

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 26 Mar 2015, 11:57

banjo48 wrote:Hi mate

Sorry it's the new Hawke Airmax 30 IR SF 6x24x50 the thread diameter of my Sure e700/ MTC adapter is correct it's just the wrong thread to screw in.

Sorry don't understand what you mean by IR obstruction on the eye bell ?
OK, the adaptor will need to be fitted to its full depth on the eye bell but the IR lump on the eye bell of the Airmax 30 range will probally prevent the adaptor from sliding fully onto it.

Do you know the diameter of the eye bell and how long is the uncluttered part of it behind the obstruction?

banjo48

Post by banjo48 » 26 Mar 2015, 12:22

Ha Stupid me, I see what you mean now, the illuminated reticule switch.

From the rear of the switch to the eye relief is 23mm of clear space then 20mm of the adjustable eye relief not counting the metal eyepiece swing away cover.

The eye bell external diameter is 43mm.