Blacksun ruby ranger issue

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
Foxpig

Blacksun ruby ranger issue

Post by Foxpig » 07 May 2018, 11:28

I recently bought a black sun ruby ranger from Clive. Amazing power from such a small torch.
I've asked Clive for help but he's abit busy at the mo to answer.
My problem is that when u focus the beam to the sweet spot for my set up . I get what looks like oily blobs or water marks on the picture.
When I focus forward or back abit they disappear.
I'd like to know if anyone thinks that there could be something on the actual pill or inside the lense . And weather it's just a matter of me attempting to take the lense off and clean.
Or is this normal.for the ruby pill.?
Any help be much apretiated
Cheers

warbucks

Re: Blacksun ruby ranger issue

Post by warbucks » 07 May 2018, 11:43

My A S pilled sunranger did this also, i could be wrong but i think its the Yukon lens that causes this as i have several T20's, a T66, and a T74 and none of them do this.

Dave (warbucks)

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 07 May 2018, 12:12

It's the lens - they're far from perfect.
Just defocus slightly to get rid of the blobs

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 07 May 2018, 13:15

Hi Foxpig,

More than happy to have a look at it for you if you want to get it back to us. :thumbup:

It can be a bit of an issue on these, maybe a bit more so on ours because we have everything perfectly concentric from the LED, to T20 bezel and in turn the Yukon lens so the focus is absolutely perfect. You can actually adjust focus from the die surface within the LED, to the surface of the LED dome. :wtf:

If it's big annoying blobs there should be something we can do. If it's smaller artefacts then they are more likely tiny imperfections in the LED emitter or dome.

Easiest solution for those is to slightly focus them out.

Cheers

Clive

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 07 May 2018, 20:00

Foxpig wrote:
07 May 2018, 11:28
I recently bought a black sun ruby ranger from Clive. Amazing power from such a small torch.
My problem is that when u focus the beam to the sweet spot for my set up . I get what looks like oily blobs or water marks on the picture.
I'd like to know if anyone thinks that there could be something on the actual pill or inside the lense . And weather it's just a matter of me attempting to take the lense off and clean.
Cheers
I have them as well and am pretty sure it is the Yukon lens as the they do not appear in the image when I use the the NM800 and T50 that have Ruby pills in them (the NM800 is just as good, if not better, as the Sunranger on full spot, IMO)

jrn

Post by jrn » 07 May 2018, 20:20

blueroll wrote:
07 May 2018, 20:00
Foxpig wrote:
07 May 2018, 11:28
Cheers
I have them as well and am pretty sure it is the Yukon lens as the they do not appear in the image when I use the the NM800 and T50 that have Ruby pills in them (the NM800 is just as good, if not better, as the Sunranger on full spot, IMO)
Yes me to I have the exact same problem with mine and I am sure it is the Yukon lens .

Foxpig

Post by Foxpig » 07 May 2018, 21:10

To be honest I can live with it. I just wondered if it was something simple I could just wipe off. My mate picks it up when looking through his pvs. So it's defiantly projected .
If it's possible to completely get rid of it I'll send it back. If not I'll live with it to be fair . I'm now using it on the drone and the picture quality is outstanding.

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 20 May 2018, 08:02

I have these too and I do not think it is the Yukon lens that causes this but tiny imperfections that are present in the dome lens that is in front of the IR emitter.
It is the quality of the Yukon lens that makes these visible. You can also see them with illuminator switched off, lens focussed when you look at the emitter.
No fence is too tall.......

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 20 May 2018, 13:43

It is 'technically' possible to make them perfect.

It involves going through a metre or so of the reel with a jewellers loupe to hand pick the odd perfect LED and then doing the same again after they have come out of the reflow oven to select the perfect survivors. :crazy:

t's so time consuming, it's not something we can offer as a product.

I will say our LEDs are much cleaner than those I have seen from Chinese factories, either due to them using lower spec in the LED itself or incorrect reflowing practices.

Cheers

Clive

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 23 May 2018, 12:25

"I will say our LEDs are much cleaner than those I have seen from Chinese factories, either due to them using lower spec in the LED itself or incorrect reflowing practices."

There has to be some reason for the price difference between your illuminators and the Chinese counterparts! :D
No fence is too tall.......