Screw in DSA for MTC and some Hawke scopes.

This is for members to sell, buy or swap goods.
some bloke
NON EMMET

Re: Screw in DSA for MTC and some Hawke scopes.

Post by some bloke » 16 Feb 2016, 02:34

weebster wrote:No.....the tac is m35.8 and pitch 0.6....I got hold of a spare screw on dust cap years ago and drilled out the centre,stuck that into a filter ring then used a male/male macro ring to connect to more filter rings to make a tube which then screwd into a tamron cctv lens.
Been waiting for something like your dodah to come along and they have....but never to fit the tac 30's :cry: ...oh well,I might try a wardy jobbie at some point instead of a screen etc.
Laters pops :thumbup:
That is a seriously weird thread size, probably supposed to 36mm.

It may be too late for you but I'm looking into what might be a 36mm thread for a popular NV friendly scope - and if I get the right answers I may be able to help in a few weeks.

Davegtiuk

Post by Davegtiuk » 16 Feb 2016, 23:46

If it measures at 35.8, I'd suspect it's 36mm
I recently made a threaded adapter for the ocular of a Hawke Vantage.
Hawke told me the thread was 34mm x 0.6mm. It measures at 33.4mm, but my 34 x .6 adapter worked.
Rgds
David

weebster

Post by weebster » 17 Feb 2016, 00:55

Got the info of hawke,tried a 36 etc and nowt would fit it except the dust caps it came with,so boged one of those about 2-3 yr ago now.....had the watec on it at first before going over to cmos board cam in a very small project box.
This is the lens I use http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... _F1_4.html

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 17 Feb 2016, 02:32

With grateful thanks to DEBEN for this, which clears up an issue for many of us:

The threads are different between older and newer models:

"There is a bit of a divide between our scopes, where we've made efforts to simplify sunshade and accessory fittings. The older models (Varmint SF, Panorama EV and Nite-Eye Digi) will all use that thread pitch you've got working. The newer models (those that can be seen on our website) will use the M38 x 0.6 thread.

With regards to the Sidewinder, there's two different eras of the scope which have different thread pitches. The newer models are supplied with metal flip-up covers and will have the M38 x 0.6 thread. The older models were supplied with metal screw-in caps and use a different M35.8 x 0.6 thread"

And further info:

Another easy way of telling is to inspect the scope's logo. If the side of the eyebell has the newer logo on it (attached) and pictured here, then (it will be) the new style scope with the M38 x 0.6 thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had contemplated getting some screw in adaptors made for the sidewinder because its popular with NV users, but given the above information, I'd need to make two thread versions and feel it is not going to be a viable proposition.

I am bearing in mind that the eye bells are uncluttered with IR modules and that both my slip on adaptors and pending replacement collet chuck adaptors will be suitable for both old and new spec Hawke scopes.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 03 Mar 2016, 16:17

Regarding MTC scopes. Have three, and they seem to suffer the same problem which only becomes apparent when one hangs an extension adapter (SURE) and camera from the diopter adjuster eyepiece. Well, it droops, with the weight of the kit. Not by a lot, maybe a degree or so but enough to be noticeable in the screen image. Words on a postcard if you consider this affects the resolution of the image on the monitor. I like the MTC reticle, side focus and the optics for the price so my question is; has anybody noticed and has a solution been put forward. My only solution thus far is to make a collar from plastic or ally and wedge it between eyepiece and main body and tighten the end piece to take up of the slack. Okay, hang an adapter from the main body behind the main focus ring and the problem goes away. There is a gap of @ 0.150" on the 4-16 and @ 0.150" on the 6-24. If I screw the diopter in then the reticle does not focus. The SURE adapter is my preferred option. If hell freezes over then I shall buy a prism.

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 03 Mar 2016, 19:07

There is loads more slack on Hawke one's. I don't consider it a product shortcoming because they aren't designed to have aftermarket items fitted on them.

A DSA that fits to the eye bell is always going to be better but there's not a lot of chance for doing that with an MTC because of the pointless lumps on the adjuster that must surely incur extra costs to put there - but maybe that's cheaper than making a rubber sleeved one.

I initially thought the issue wouls cause the crosshair to migrate from zero but it seems to shift the entire image instead making it just an annoyance to fussy old gits like me. :angel:

I think I saw a new one recently with no lumps. :shock:

pickle
Stihl pickled

Re: MTC Viper lumpy bits

Post by pickle » 22 Mar 2016, 20:47

Missed your feedback on MTC 'lumps' until tonight. Bought the SURE Delrin adaptors and hung em - works fine now have to move on. Have now made own adaptors for diy tube bit that goes behind lumpy bit on MTC Viper and so we progress. Have already posted 'can the lumpy lens bit can be removed/wound out to turn down', but no takers to date. Any thoughts some bloke or others on this type of heresy. Would that you could patent your 'collets'. When they get past Poland and the Bosphorus the copies will land on ebay quick as you can spit. And I confess to using sellotape - honest there was no other way.

some bloke
NON EMMET

Re: MTC Viper lumpy bits

Post by some bloke » 23 Mar 2016, 12:47

pickle wrote:Missed your feedback on MTC 'lumps' until tonight. Bought the SURE Delrin adaptors and hung em - works fine now have to move on. Have now made own adaptors for diy tube bit that goes behind lumpy bit on MTC Viper and so we progress. Have already posted 'can the lumpy lens bit can be removed/wound out to turn down', but no takers to date. Any thoughts some bloke or others on this type of heresy. Would that you could patent your 'collets'. When they get past Poland and the Bosphorus the copies will land on ebay quick as you can spit. And I confess to using sellotape - honest there was no other way.
Dunno if the ocular adjuster can be removed but the gas inside the scope would escape and I'd not want to clamp the thread in my lathe chuck lol.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 23 Mar 2016, 21:09

Yeah thought I might go for it if some one else had tried it. Need a pipe wrench to shift eye bell out any further. Thank you for your input some bloke, I did not consider the gassing issue to be truthful. It's this forum, it plays with the mind of impressionable creative repressed innovators and well, the sky is the limit. What fun. Have managed to put plastic sleeve behind the eye bell on my MTC and join the bits up with ally sleeve so it really isn't too much of a problem any more. Funnily enough the Floplast endcap actually came in to its own with my mod. A lathe is really essential in my view if one wants to play - trouble is mine is nearly as old as me. With your mods and latest collet DSA now available we seem to be spoilt for choice. I should add that marky 610 chap knew what he was about with this Floplast stuff and deserves mention for his innovation and skills. Trouble is I think you two are brothers in arms and it has become hard to know who got where first and i still tend to get you mixed up. I guess somebody will set me right.
Last edited by pickle on 26 Mar 2016, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 23 Mar 2016, 22:04

I'm the good looking one. :thumbup:

Marky still pops in now and again but has all but dropped off the scene so to speak.
I should add he passed on a lot of experience and knowledge but I think its fair to say he liked designing things rather than the boring part of producing items to order.

I thought panorama was wide view? You do realize some monitors have a menu that can change things..... like format. :angel:

Your lathe is probably much better than mine, I don't make most of the parts I sell, just sort of prove the concept and take it somewhere.