Scopeless HMR EJ230

Chat about your shooting and hunting. (Nothing illegal or cruel, please). Post pics or videos.
some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Scopeless HMR EJ230

Post by some bloke » 14 Apr 2014, 21:42

Watch this on a 4~5" mini player if you can to get a better idea of what I see on my 4.7" screen DVR when recording this, or at least use the smallest media player option - but its nowhere near as good due to the video compression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMrHaSIfeUY

Torchwood

Re: Scopeless HMR EJ230

Post by Torchwood » 14 Apr 2014, 22:20

Good shooting there Dave, I couldn't hear the background music :lolno:
No ir, loved it. :thumbup: this is the way forward IMHO. Which lens did you use?

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 15 Apr 2014, 03:06

Torchwood wrote:Good shooting there Dave, I couldn't hear the background music :lolno:
No ir, loved it. :thumbup: this is the way forward IMHO. Which lens did you use?
Cheers, the JXD doesn't have audio, not sure if the 5" one waiting in customs has audio or not, looking for better image quality regardless of audio. :)

I used the same 75mm C mount F 1.4 (IIRC) one that I used on my original rig.

I tried a 135mm M42 lens on the 'miracle cottage' camera out the back of the house tonight - I have to say that the difference between that and the EJ230 still remains massive: So much so that I'm thinking there must be something about my settings that is making it so bad.

In my opinion the extra £40 or so for the EJ230 is a very good investment if you are looking for the most covert option because the cheaper one needs loads more light... which kinda defeats the objective.

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood » 15 Apr 2014, 06:34

I have to disagree on that dave, I have the e700, in compareing the two with m42, I find little difference. It's unfair to compare 75mm f1.4 with 135mm with f2.8. Still waiting for a adaptor for m42 ( I wished I bought it locally ), will post my results when all setuped.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 15 Apr 2014, 17:14

Torchwood wrote:I have to disagree on that dave, I have the e700, in compareing the two with m42, I find little difference. It's unfair to compare 75mm f1.4 with 135mm with f2.8. Still waiting for a adaptor for m42 ( I wished I bought it locally ), will post my results when all setuped.
That's encouraging Toni - and I truly hope it's the case because I bought a few of them - and the reamer to fit them nicely into the C mount carrier tubes for spotter/rifle builds once the enclosures are done. :thumbup:

With the EJ230 and no IR I was able to see dark bunny profiles well over 400 yards away under dark cloud on mown fairways, 300 yard in rougher grass and about 130 yards with the quarry right next to a green hedge.

Did you try the acid no IR test? I found less of a difference with an Oslon Black - which kind of defeats the gains to be made with this type of rig. It'll be great to see more video's and/or comparisons. :thumbup:

I will be swapping the 75mm lens onto the 'miracle' rig and fitting a 135mm M42 to the EJ230 one. :angel:

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood » 15 Apr 2014, 17:25

That 75mm 1.4 lens must be the dogs dangle, can't find anything close to that aperture anywhere. At the end of the day, which glass you put in front of the sensor will make the difference.
The results from your rig is truly amazing.
How dose it compare to photon?
All I have to work with at the moment is a 25mm cs lens. I'm astonished by the light gathering at night with it without IR, but no where near your result. I have a 85mm f2 coming my way on a loan from a friend, I'll see if that works out. But your rig is my benchmark. :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 16 Apr 2014, 06:51

Torchwood wrote:That 75mm 1.4 lens must be the dogs dangle, can't find anything close to that aperture anywhere. At the end of the day, which glass you put in front of the sensor will make the difference.
The results from your rig is truly amazing.
How dose it compare to photon?
All I have to work with at the moment is a 25mm cs lens. I'm astonished by the light gathering at night with it without IR, but no where near your result. I have a 85mm f2 coming my way on a loan from a friend, I'll see if that works out. But your rig is my benchmark. :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd love to see that F2 - but doubt I'd like to fund one! I think the Photon has the raw unassisted edge courtesy of its massive objective lens/aperture. Yes- it's amazing what can be seen with a rear add-on rig if it's taken off the back of the scope: That will give anyone an idea of what is chalk Vs cheese of digital NV.

Anyway - purely in the interests of accurate comparisons and fact finding, and thanks for the suggestion: I first used the HMR EJ230 rig to view the darkest area I could find behind my house this morning - then swapped the lens and JXD990 to the air rifle with the miracle cam on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_W8hN ... e=youtu.be

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood » 16 Apr 2014, 07:14

Thanks for that test :thumbup: ej230 is defenaitly the best of the two, good comparison. It's well worthed the extra cash for them. Ej230 is £96 against miracle cottage £38. I'll wait for sure to discount them a bit to more like e700 prices.

Those 85mm lenses are not cheap, that's why I'm borrowing one to see if any good for scopeless. Will let you know.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 16 Apr 2014, 07:34

Torchwood wrote:Thanks for that test :thumbup: ej230 is defenaitly the best of the two, good comparison. It's well worthed the extra cash for them. Ej230 is £96 against miracle cottage £38. I'll wait for sure to discount them a bit to more like e700 prices.

Those 85mm lenses are not cheap, that's why I'm borrowing one to see if any good for scopeless. Will let you know.
Looking forwards to that - should be more than good enough for air ranges. Are you able to record?

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood » 16 Apr 2014, 07:40

Yes, have a angel eye. :cry: