New thermal on the .22 Hornet

Chat about your shooting and hunting. (Nothing illegal or cruel, please). Post pics or videos.
Radagast
junior librarian

Re: New thermal on the .22 Hornet

Post by Radagast » 11 Jun 2016, 08:01

Black hot seems best, if you want to respect the rabbits' religious point of view. Reminds me of the Black Rabbit of Inle from Watership Down. :lol:
Very nice footage Clive.

scirroco

Post by scirroco » 11 Jun 2016, 09:22

fizzbangwhallop wrote:
scirroco wrote:Hi clive
Can i ask what recoil limit is on these please ??
I shoot with 300 win mags and a 444 marlin (when i can find a 444)
Rgds steve
Morning Steve :thumbup:

Clive told me this the other week....Recoil is rated for 6000 Joules / .338LM so safe to use on all UK hunting calibres.

Stick it on the 300wm for foxing and you wouldn't have to worry too much about bullet blow up if the fox was standing in a bit of cover or rushes.

Cheers

Fizz
Morn fizz
I only use 180 or 200g swift A FRAMES in my 300 so no probs with bullets fragmenting! :thumbup:
Rgds steve

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 13 Jun 2016, 12:01

sunndog wrote:Dammit!....that 200yrd rabbit looked temptingly shootable :think:
It would be easily.

I did some range testing this weekend and at 200 yards the rifle is still holding 1/2 MOA and drops 2.5" with the 35 grain V Max zeroed just under 1" high at 100 yards. :thumbup:

To make things even more idiot proof the wind in inches is the same as the full value in mph at 200 yards. So 4 mph = 4 inches. At 100 yards it's a quarter of that. i.e. 4 mph = 1 inch.

Cheers

Clive

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 16 Jun 2016, 11:28

Hi All,

Since last week I have had a bit of a brain wave and some encouraging success.

The very fast 35 grain v-maxes are great for foxes but a little bit too much on even head shot rabbits. So because I like the rifle so much I've been looking for a bullet that will expand less vigorously. I think I've found it. H&N in Germany make a 45 grain soft lead round nose bullet that is copper plated and then friction coated. These should be just the ticket for less messy head shot bunnies. Best part is that they work out at £47 per thousand! Doing a bit of man maths that means I can reload the .22 Hornet for the same price as buying Eley .22 LR :thumbup:

While I'm waiting for the bullets I did a bit of testing with some factory Winchester 45 grain HP vs. the 35 Grain V-Max. At 100 yards the V-Max are 1" high and the slower heavier bullet is a manageable 1" low...windage was pretty much no difference.

As luck would have it at 24x mag this 1" low corresponds with the tip of the lower vertical on the reticule in the thermal scope.

I gave it a test...

This was about 80 yards. Worked perfecly with the more solid bullet punching pretty much straight through.

Just need to wait for my first batch of H&N bullets to turn up and then see if they work. :?

Cheers

Clive

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 29 Jun 2016, 10:52

Hi All,

Very pleased with the hornet and WT1 combo. It just drops everything you rest the cross hairs on. :thumbup:

Anyway a little montage of fox bait manufacturing.

Cheers

Clive