Ooh, new shooting truck

Show off your shooting truck or ask general related questions here
Fox Hunter

Re: Ooh, new shooting truck

Postby Fox Hunter » 20 Mar 2017, 21:10

rodp wrote:
Fox Hunter wrote:Hmm, not exactly sure on how far..the wind comes down sideways here so 14ft?? :shock: :lol:

I'll have a good measure up when I get a chance (flat out lambing at the moment), I tried a small umbrella once which worked a treat. Guess that was closer to two foot but anything angled slightly downward would be a god send 8-)

You could live to regret that :lol: :lol: :lol: One on each door and you could hang glide down the hills :lol:

Suppose 18" ish would be ok? Just thinking of the wind catching it :think: Send me the measurements and I'll get one knocked up. :thumbup:

It would definitely be faster, with the tyres let down it's still even slow down hill :lol: uphill is covered 'patiently' :lolno:

18" sounds good, I thought about 2ft but I think you're right it would blow too much in the wind. At 18 with the bottom wire in the window gap I think my window bag over the top of the wire it would hold down a fair weight of wind on the sail, especially if the rifle was left resting on the bag.

I've sent you a pm with measurements :thumbup:

Frogman Ladue

Postby Frogman Ladue » 23 Mar 2017, 23:15

Fox Hunter wrote:I'm surprised they'd fit in one :wtf:

Rod, one for you...Have you ever thought of a widow protector for 4x4's? Might be a stupid idea but in this jimny I can rest the gun on a window bag and have the thermal on a tripod on the front seat with it forward. There's roof bars on it so what I want is a rubber waterproof horizontal window protector type thing sticking out a few feet from the jeep attached to the roof bars. This would allow me to shoot into the wind without the inside of the cab getting soaked with rain but also protect the thermal and my rifle from too much water. Not sure if I explained it properly but basically an umbrella or small awning type thing to stop rain coming in through the window. Any ideas??

...t'was one of the last model to wear GM Raspberry Pearl Metallic. You could be hideously ugly and drive a "cute" car at the same time. That should be a 'Murican scavenger hunt for any of you guys visiting the US. See a pink tracker on the road, there will be a bleached blonde polar bear driving it.

As for your windows...We call them Vent Visors here....

http://www.autoanything.com/deflectors/Geo/Tracker/111A10002A10039A0A24A384A1.aspx

Evolving work in progress, E700+DSA updated regularly...Link

Latest update to US spec'ed E700+DSA T-20,T67 Build. (US Parts List!)...Link

Fox Hunter

Postby Fox Hunter » 24 Mar 2017, 06:47

Frogman Ladue wrote:
Fox Hunter wrote:I'm surprised they'd fit in one :wtf:

Rod, one for you...Have you ever thought of a widow protector for 4x4's? Might be a stupid idea but in this jimny I can rest the gun on a window bag and have the thermal on a tripod on the front seat with it forward. There's roof bars on it so what I want is a rubber waterproof horizontal window protector type thing sticking out a few feet from the jeep attached to the roof bars. This would allow me to shoot into the wind without the inside of the cab getting soaked with rain but also protect the thermal and my rifle from too much water. Not sure if I explained it properly but basically an umbrella or small awning type thing to stop rain coming in through the window. Any ideas??

...t'was one of the last model to wear GM Raspberry Pearl Metallic. You could be hideously ugly and drive a "cute" car at the same time. That should be a 'Murican scavenger hunt for any of you guys visiting the US. See a pink tracker on the road, there will be a bleached blonde polar bear driving it.

As for your windows...We call them Vent Visors here....

http://www.autoanything.com/deflectors/Geo/Tracker/111A10002A10039A0A24A384A1.aspx

That's the type of thing just larger extensions. It's not to drive around with only park up. :thumbup:

rodp
A bad influence

Postby rodp » 24 Mar 2017, 15:46

Got the pics james, I'll go through the pics and messages and see if I can suss out exactly what I need to know. I'm old, it takes a while to sink in nowadays :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Fox Hunter

Postby Fox Hunter » 29 Mar 2017, 19:36

Rod, not sure if you've had a chance to think about the window awning yet but out last night (got a fox biting lambs heads off :shock: :x ) and where we thought we could use a wire to locate it in the window channel I really need the window to sit out of its slot by about an inch or so. My window bag isn't stable enough without the glass raised.
I thought I could get away with it but in big Jim I can leave the rifle rested on the window bag and the butt rested on the front seat headrest so I need the bag to be totally stable. Any chance we can rest the wire against the glass with the bag over the top? Got soaked even parked against the rain so Iooking forward to whatever you come up with. :thumbup:
Worst of all the mist came down so bad I struggled to see clearly to spot anything so didn't see the fox. Put a lamp on it the night before and it was like linford Christie so it's a thermal sit and wait. I'm like a walking zombie today so I'm having a night off as I've got bait out but can't see it going near it with all grub about now what with lambing but got to give it a go to try and make it easier..

rodp
A bad influence

Postby rodp » 29 Mar 2017, 19:56

Yes James, given it some thought. Busy this week as away next week so trying to sort out all the jobs before I leave the lads to their own devices :eh:

I was thinking of hook (hard) velcro around the wire frame, it should stick in the felt window runners and make the assembly adjustable to a certain extent. IE, clip the wire frame in about halfway up the runners but if you need the awning lower then move frame down.This would also keep the frame clear of shooting area.

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Fox Hunter

Postby Fox Hunter » 29 Mar 2017, 20:36

That sounds perfect. Looking forward to putting it to good use.
No panic my end, I'm half soaked anyway so a bit more moisture won't do any harm :lol:

Hope it's a holiday you're away for, if so enjoy! 8-) :thumbup:

rodp
A bad influence

Postby rodp » 30 Mar 2017, 16:14

Yep, off to my son's in Wiltshire for a few days. Plenty of space to play on the quads and we have shooting permission at several places down there.

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Fox Hunter

Postby Fox Hunter » 31 Mar 2017, 18:29

Sounds like a great way to holiday!
Can't beat a change in scenery doing what you love. Think the weathers supposed to improve again next week so fingers crossed for you. I hope so for myself anyway, I was calling you everything when I was getting wet last night :o :lol:

Return to “4x4's and shooting vehicles”