Front Mount Anyone?

http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/
cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Front Mount Anyone?

Postby cliveward » 29 Mar 2017, 15:12

Hi All,

In addition to all the other goings on, we're working on a new tubed front mount that won't be silly money but still with some decent features.

Essentially this is our option for someone with a fixed parallax scope, for instance on a stalking rifle (hence the name) that wants a self contained unit of decent performance that they can easily attach with zero faff if they want to go foxing or boar shooting after sunset. :thumbup: It can also be used as a stand alone monocular for spotting.

Price is going to be around £1750

I shall be having a play with one soon on my .17HMR once I've got my old Meopta 7x50 strapped to it and zeroed in. :thumbup:

Here's a picture of the arrangement of the unit:

Cheers

Clive

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Re: Front Mount Anyone?

Postby cliveward » 21 Aug 2017, 19:26

Hi All,

It's taken a little while to get back onto this project with everything else happening, but I finally managed to get some time on this recently.

Now I'm in a position for proper field testing to commence. :thumbup:

One thing I'm always concerned about with front mounts is zero retention or POI change due to mounting. The factory have done some excellent work on the lens design on this one.

On bench testing with the unit uncoupled from the day scope (i.e. just held in front) even with off axis misalignment of 20 or so degrees there was no noticeable movement in the POA, literally waving the unit all over the place at all manner of angles! That was promising. :wtf:

Then properly mounted to the day scope with it all locked down I started prodding and poking and pushing the unit off axis to simulate poor mounting, knocking it, resting on it, etc. and it all started moving and I was a bit deflated. Then I realised that yes the image (output of the tube) could be seen to move considerably but the target was completely static so POI was maintained! :thumbup:

I've mounted it on my .17 HMR for starters to see how it fairs in the field:

The ergonomics aren't too bad. A bit like the difference to the balance of a rifle with or without a bipod.

I'll keep you posted. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

visiter1

Postby visiter1 » 22 Aug 2017, 08:21

looking forward to this

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 24 Aug 2017, 10:53

Hi All,

I managed to get out with this last night properly.

First test was to double check zero on my HMR. Groups with and without the unit mounted were pretty much identical in size and POI so no adjustment of the unit was required. 8-)

Lets start with a reality check though. This is not a super long range, high magnification tool because being a front mount the system resolution is fixed and on par with a decent 4x magnification dedicated tubed NV rifle scope. You can use the day scope's zoom but there is no increase in detail of the image, it just gets bigger, unlike a rear mounted add on where zooming in, multiplies the units resolution. I found sensible magnifications were in the range of 4-8x and actually settled on 5x for the shooting we were doing, but it did work all the way up to 18x.

We started just after sunset and in terms of performance, at ambient light levels of quarter to half moon, no IR was needed and I could spot and ID a fox at 250 yards. Once it got darker, IR was needed and the built in laser works very well. It is adjustable for beam and power. Keeping ranges sensible I used it on it's widest beam and lowest power setting. Talking of range I would say that sensible distances in standard form with the built in IR would be up to 100 yards on rabbits for head shots, 150 yards for neck / body and 250 yards for foxing. I did also try the unit with an addition IR, a B502 and the image was just excellent. It made the 250 yard image as clear as the 50 yard one! :wtf: I think a B20 would be more sensible for additional IR. I'll give it a go next time I'm out with it.

Ergonomics were good. The balance of the rifle was moved forward a few inches and it was like the difference of with or without a bipod. Once focussed the unit didn't need adjusting and the only controls needed to be used were the on/off and IR switch. I could easily reach these with my left thumb with my hand still on the fore end. Once the IR is set for the conditions, the unit and the IR can be turned on and off at the same time with the power button. It is just a case of switch on, mount rifle, shoot and switch off again. 8-)

We shot around 12 rabbits in total. All head shot from 20-80 yards without any misses. The rifle was getting knocked about a fair bit in the vehicle due to the rough ground but there were absolutely no problems with accuracy. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 07 Sep 2017, 14:26

Hi All,

A bit more of an update on this one.

Went out last week an knocked over a few more rabbits. No problems with accuracy.

Out again last night. Another 12 rabbits and an average sized vixen at around 90 yards. All head shot. Again no misses or accuracy problems 8-)

There was a full moon, but overcast and rabbits at 100 yards were possible with no IR at all. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

Return to “Nightvision store”