Thermal Scope Advice

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
jd190

Thermal Scope Advice

Postby jd190 » 12 Nov 2017, 20:51

Hi Guys,

I have just started to use thermal for spotting foxes and I am now complete thermal convert. I have currently got a Pulsar Quantum Lite XQ30V and I am very impressed by the performance of the unit for the price. I have owned the unit for few months and it has really made a huge difference with the amount of success I am having in controlling the foxes for a local farmer. I am able to spot and ID a fox out to about 200/250 yards (if it is moving). I have also had a look through the Helion XP38 and the quality difference is incredible the image is so much clearer and getting an ID is so much easier.

I am currently using a Drone Pro 10x for my night shooting which is an amazing bit of kit but the field of view isn't great, finding a close target can be pretty tricky at times. Also having a thermal scope would cut down the weight quite a bit.

I am looking at getting the Pulsar Trail XQ50 and was just wondering what the image quality is like compared to the XP series. I don't have the budget for anything more expensive at the moment but I could save up for few more months, but I'd rather not spend more than £3000. I don't think I can justify it. Also the XQ50 has a better base level of magnification which I think is better? Is there any real performance difference between the XQ50 and the XP50?

As the base magnification on these scopes is quite low will they see my rifles moderator? With my glass scope set to 2.5/3 I can see my mod (a Wildcat Evolution) not a big deal if they do, I can always buy some riser blocks.

Is the trail XQ50 able to get a 100% positive ID on a stationary fox at 300 yards? If not what sorts of ranges should I expect to be able to get a 100% ID on a fox?

Any advice or experience with the trail scopes would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JD

AnthonyR

Re: Thermal Scope Advice

Postby AnthonyR » 12 Nov 2017, 21:21

I have a Helion XP50 and a Trail XQ50 so feel well able to comment.

I went for the XQ50 Trail as opposed to an XP50 because of the higher mag and obviously it was cheaper as well and the image quality at distance is almost identical, yes the XP has a much more detailed less grainy image but the ability to ID animals at distance is just about the same. The XQ model has better contrast as well.

I use my Trail on 3 rifles and even when hot I have not had issues with a hot mod affecting the image.

As for 100% positive ID on a 300 yard stationary fox then I would say no, moving yes much further especially when going across your field of view. I also have a very high end truck mounted thermal spotter which has an optical zoom system and the 300 yard stationary fox would be a push for that as well, although in my experience foxes are rarely stationary.

I still use my Drone Pro for most of my fox work as I think it is still far far superior for longer range ID and shooting, I have never used one of Clive's WT3 scopes, I have no doubt they would be better than a Trail but by how much I can't say. I didn't buy my Trail for foxing but for rabbits, hares and rats and in that area it is absolutely fantastic.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Postby phoenix » 12 Nov 2017, 22:53

The range at which you can get a 100% positive ID on a fox doesn't just depend on the type of thermal you're using, it is also dependent on what the fox is doing.
If it's wandering around, then a fairly low spec thermal will give a good enough image to be able to recognise typical "foxy" movement
If it's standing stationary, or even worse, lying down, then even the best thermals won't give a good enough image to be sure of exactly what you're looking at.
I shoot a fair few foxes using a 75mm 640 core spotter and 75mm 640 core thermal scope but, since we don't use a lamp, I know that there are probably a few foxes lying down that we never recognise because we don't get any eyeshine from them with a thermal.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

jd190

Postby jd190 » 13 Nov 2017, 17:25

Thanks for your responses.

I am probably going to bite the bullet and get one at the end of the month. My hope is that it will be good enough to replace the drone pro for the times I walk around the ground I shoot on (most of the time when wandering I don't have to make shots more than about 150 Yards) and keep the drone pro for the times I shoot over a baited area or for the fields that are extremely large.

If it turns out I am not 100% happy with the positive ID range then it will just become my new spotter and the Quantum Lite will probably be sold to friend. If I can ID foxes out to 200 yards easy with it then I don't think I will be disappointed with it.

Thanks,
JD.

Sussexsteve

Postby Sussexsteve » 14 Nov 2017, 00:28

Both 2 very good replies there from 2 very knowledgable chaps! I use the wt1 75-3 can positively ID foxes at 550m farthest shot 330m. Had the xp38 trail and sold it after 2 weeks. Not enough mag in my opinion to compete with the drone. Too many buttons for me. Wt1 is better than the drone which I think is superb having owned the first 5/10x and the second 10x models. Would save up the extra £900 and buy the Ward

Sussexsteve

Postby Sussexsteve » 14 Nov 2017, 00:46

What roof mount thermal you using Anthony?

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » 14 Nov 2017, 07:40

I have one of these:

http://www.infratherm.com.au/uploads/1/ ... u_rev1.pdf

Bought it on eBay a few years ago, ex MOD.

Return to “thermal imaging”