XQ30v

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
22-250jock

XQ30v

Postby 22-250jock » 17 Apr 2017, 21:45

had a walk over the fields a little earlier with the boy to try and get a bit of footage with the new unit.....

picture quality wasn't as good tonight as Friday as it had been drizzling for a while, but still picked up a few foxes with it.

1st clip, few rabbits varying from 40 to 180yrds and the fox that we had just squeaked in winded us and was running away just as i turned on dvr.
sat down at around 170yds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UySYpdGW1U&t=30s

2nd clip couple of foxes called in from 190yds, first one stops at about 45yds then twigs us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIWLQTkUMM&t=6s

as usual, the footage you see once uploaded to youtube is a lot poorer than what you see through the eyepiece

still gives you an idea of what these units are like....... ;)

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

warbucks

Re: XQ30v

Postby warbucks » 17 Apr 2017, 22:11

Thanks for taking the time to do this for us all Jock.
would you still say its as good as the older HD38s.

Dave (warbucks)

PhilM

Postby PhilM » 17 Apr 2017, 23:15

Looks spot on for spotting that whilst shooting with digital! Very quick to pick up quarry and the FOV doesn't look bad either!

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 17 Apr 2017, 23:40

Very nice - you do gots a bunny problem there Jock. Are the one's around the edges in some cover or out in the open?

22-250jock

Postby 22-250jock » 18 Apr 2017, 06:05

warbucks wrote:Thanks for taking the time to do this for us all Jock.
would you still say its as good as the older HD38s.

Dave (warbucks)

We were out Friday night and conditions were a lot better.....colder and dry. Picked up a heat source at about 300 yrd but couldn't tell if it was fox or brock. This was in a silage field where the grass was a foot tall.
I think when the conditions are perfect its as good as the 38s, but last night in the drizzle I don't think it had the clarity

Cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

22-250jock

Postby 22-250jock » 18 Apr 2017, 06:52

some bloke wrote:Very nice - you do gots a bunny problem there Jock. Are the one's around the edges in some cover or out in the open?

Unfortunately Dave this is a nature reserve on the edge of town, so no vermin control :roll:
Some are out in the open, some on the railway embankment in bramble and along the edge of the wood in long grass

Bare in mind what you see in the video isn't a true representation of what you see through the viewer....just got to look at how distorted the menu icons look in the vid....they are crystal clear through the eyepiece but all fuzzy in the video
Have to add that its nice and clear on the computer, just think it deteriates when uploaded

Cheers jock
― Edward Abbey,

jd190

Postby jd190 » 12 Aug 2017, 17:41

Hi Jock,

I am currently looking at buying one of these thermal imagers for foxing and was wondering would you recommend it now that you have had it for a few months? What would you say the maximum detection distance for a fox would be? I have a Drone Pro 10X on my rifle that I would use to identify the quarry, if I can't get identification through the thermal.

The ground I mostly shoot on is a bit lumpy and I would probably say the maximum distance I would need to see out to with the thermal is about 500 yards, mostly it would be 350. Would this be suitable? The price for this unit is pretty amazing and I want to keep my expectations in check. I don't really want to spend an extra £700 on getting the Helion XQ38 if this unit will be more than adequate for the ranges I need for detection.

Please let me know how you are getting on with it and if it would be just the ticket for my needs of 500 yards max on fox detection, or would the Helion be what I need?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
JD

22-250jock

Postby 22-250jock » 12 Aug 2017, 19:09

watcha JD
if your looking for a cheap intro into the world of thermal, then for the money I don't think you can go wrong.
we have fairly small fields were we shoot, so don't need to see great distances and have found the unit to be more than capable.
I would say realistically you can detect (not ID) a fox sized target at 400-450 yrds when the conditions are favourable. maybe a little further on freshly worked fields.
personally i only use it to detect a heat source then poss ID it with the archer and dragon fly.
however once you've used thermal for a while you get to know how various animals move, so you've got a good idea of whether its fox, badger deer etc.
with the distance selling laws, you've always got the option to get you're money back if you're not happy, or maybe someone near has one you could have a look through

cheers jock
― Edward Abbey,

Return to “thermal imaging”