Pulsar Helion xq38f

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
oggiegb

Re: Pulsar Helion xq38f

Postby oggiegb » 13 Jul 2017, 10:20

Yep, have them both now :-) but no time to escape to play with them as yet. I'll put some feedback on here later.

oggiegb

Postby oggiegb » 16 Jul 2017, 17:12

I've no way to record images from the XQ30v but took photos with a phone thru the viewfinder from both the XQ38f and XQ30V (apologies for the quality).
The photos are of cows at 350 -> 380m, taken in daylight on a warm dry day(included normal photos for reference)

Helion XQ38F
Pros
Better quality picture, you can clearly see more detail.
Recording and all the wifi stuff works well (tho no sound as yet). Records video in 640x480 format for both .avi (movies) & .jpg (pictures) formats.
FYI, stores the piccies in the Android\data\com.yukon.app\files\filesCache\ directory on your phone (assuming android of course).
Easier to hold in the hand as it's narrow / long.
Update-able firmware, mine came with 10.38 which was the latest. I did mail Pulsar re: future plans, new functions, release dates but they didn't respond.
I like the separate charger unit so you can charge a spare battery without needing the Helion.
Bag it comes with is better designed re: carrying strap (ie doesn't flip upside down).
Feels better built / more robust.

Cons
Controls, I find the buttons slightly more difficult to use as they're all in a line.
Lens cover flips out, easy to get in the way.
To turn off the display temporarily, the power button needs a long press (I'd rather it be instant like the XQ30V).
Slightly heavier than the XQ30V.
Doesn't take AA batteries (I think Pulsar are planning this but couldn't see anything available now)
Found the battery pack tricky to seat, need to play about a bit to get the lever to lock. Not major tho. Revised - Was not being hard enough with it, ok now.
The USB socket on the Helion (rather than charger), although generic android style, none of my other cables fit, only the one provided due to the shape of the socket.
No video out socket (not important due to wifi?).
Manual mentions - Built-in 3-axis accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, no idea how to use, is it even enabled???

XQ30V
Pros
I like that the buttons are staggered and there's a wheel to select options. Seems more intuitive than the Helion.
Takes AA batteries.Came with a spare unit which was useful.
Display goes off with a quick press of the power button.

Cons
Image quality (compared with XQ38F).
No recording / wifi etc though there's a video out socket.
Batteries difficult to remove (tricky getting your finger nail under the corner).
Either I'm being thick but they've attached the shoulder strap on the case too low so it's useless and just keeps flipping upside down.
Wider so not as nice in the hand.

Hope that's useful.

Oggie
Last edited by oggiegb on 16 Jul 2017, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Mini Magnum

Postby Mini Magnum » 16 Jul 2017, 17:41

Found the battery pack tricky to seat, need to play about a bit to get the lever to lock. Not major tho.

Ensure the lever is fully up, place the battery pack against the unit and push so it is tight against the unit body. The lever should then go down easily with no issues.

oggiegb

Postby oggiegb » 16 Jul 2017, 17:51

Cheers, will try that and thx for the excellent service.

nzwatcher

Postby nzwatcher » 17 Jul 2017, 07:07

Oggie
Yes - I noticed the 30V on the neck strap too wasn't balanced.
That is a great image comparasism above - well done!!
Very accurate one too - backs what I saying - large animals 30V fine (especially for the money) but smaller like Fox etc Helion got the major edge - but at a price 2.5x more

Chrissmith0881

Postby Chrissmith0881 » 17 Jul 2017, 18:17

I'm thinking of getting one of these 2 but can't decide if I can warrant the extra money for the helion.

Mini Magnum

Postby Mini Magnum » 17 Jul 2017, 18:22

Personal choice, look at them both to compare, the Helion with 38mm lens gives a better image and detection range.

Chrissmith0881

Postby Chrissmith0881 » 17 Jul 2017, 18:59

Yes but is it £700-£800 better do I really need the better image or will the xq30v do the job fine?

Mini Magnum

Postby Mini Magnum » 17 Jul 2017, 20:17

Chris these choices are down to the individual and there budget.

The quantum lite XQ30v will detect heat signatures from rabbits at 200yds, foxes 350yds as small specks your not getting any detail, the image is quite grainy. Dont get me wrong for the money there a bargain, and basically do the job fine..

But if you want a better image you need to spend more money £££ , thats the bottom line.. i.e Helion XQ or XP models..

Cornish fixer

Postby Cornish fixer » 18 Jul 2017, 07:03

Just like to put my findings on the helion xq38f , firstly WOW , what a bl---dy. awesome piece of kit , the one thing I would agree with any nv kit ,is you get what you pay for ,having been there in the past and tried to get away with the cheaper options it just costs you more in the long run because you relialize you have not got what you really (need want) and you wished you had brought the better option .after taking the very good advice from our very own in house expert pheniox and listening to the reviews from others decided to go with this model contacted Ian at blackwwod outdoors and discussed the options took Ian's advice and brought the xq38f ,first class service from Ian all the way .just cannot believe how good this thermal is , I never thought I would be able to see as any where near as good as what you can puts a whole new edge on our nv sport .looking for some advice on getting advice on insuring these items (thermals drone rifle ) when you work out what your carrying around on a night think I need some insurance just in case ,any input would be greatly appreciated cheers in advance

Return to “thermal imaging”