Daystate inlet valve charging adaptor

For all pcp's and springers. Tuning, repairs, pellets, show and tell.
pickle
Stihl pickled

Daystate inlet valve charging adaptor

Postby pickle » 08 Sep 2016, 10:26

Just found out something interesting, having spent a while looking for some errant ball bearings with a magnet - lost when I stripped this Daystate/Foster MANFG CO 12FS push on adaptor. In fact the 'ballbearings aren't steel at all (non magnetic) and had become misshapen during use (probably by a gorilla - insult to a gentle gorilla) so adaptor difficult to attach and not now safe in my opinion. So be careful if you load your own air with one these as it may have been abused and may not be safe. Am struggling here with why the manufacturer would use such malleable, rather crap material. There may be method to it. What say you chaps.

Clunge

Re: Daystate inlet valve charging adaptor

Postby Clunge » 14 Sep 2016, 07:55

That's interesting, as elsewhere, I saw another thread where someone got a leak due to indentations from the ball bearings on the collar of the Foster fitting.
http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/before-you-replace-your-o-ring/

pickle
Stihl pickled

Postby pickle » 14 Sep 2016, 11:27

Hi Clunge, it is the actual Foster fitting I'm having problems with not the Daystate inlet valve. The DS valves are generally very good - made from good quality steel and machined to tolerance. The Foster jobby unbeknown does have these malleable 'balls' but otherwise offers a good mating surface - built in obsolescence or engineering solution? There has to be a reason because of the importance of health and safety in this area. I need to replace my balls (so to speak) and wondered about the efficacy of fitting proper bb's in that size. Might be a MISTAKE? Jury is out. Manufacturers are not renowned for being forthcoming and expect one to buy new. Well there is a recession on. Have bookmarked your link for a look - many thanks.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Postby pickle » 14 Sep 2016, 18:47

Clunge, looked at your link - it has to be deliberate sabotage man. Even the most pressurized of charges could not have caused that sort of damage IMHO. Someone with a crowbar, tyre lever or somesuch mechanism taking the pith - perhaps the connector jammed and they over reacted. The balls may well be sacrificial (don't yet know) but that sort of damage is enemy action - full stop. This type and design of connector is pretty much foolproof and just works. Been using Daystate connectors for ever with no problems. The fact that they seal at 230bar and occasionally the Dowty washer leaks is proof of longevity in my book. In my experience (once) the internal shuttle valve failed and Daystate replaced the complete valve free of charge even though there were vice jaw marks upon it. Some cretin had had a go. Mind blowing pressure here. In the words of Deaville, they either seal or they don't.

Return to “Air Rifle Central”