Nitrogen as an inert propellant

For all pcp's and springers. Tuning, repairs, pellets, show and tell.
Ooops

Re: Nitrogen as an inert propellant

Post by Ooops » 25 Jun 2016, 13:57

pickle wrote:Hang on Jethro are you in New Hampshire or the one that has the Avon and some water cress.
pickle wrote:That's a point, I assumed Hampshire just down the road a bit, not the one that's a bit of a swim :think:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm from and live in the one with the Avon, watercress and the watercress line however I work overseas and the info I gave is based on that experience.

Based in the Middle East, in the context of use in breathing gas mixes I worked with people from all over the world and travelled all over and what I've related is a global trend. Check out with your local gas plant or your local dive shop the per litre cost of He, I think it'll stop your heart. The only difference is that the industrial cylinders will come to you in higher pressures than I've mentioned

Its all a mute point, He is impractical for this application, for example running it through breathing air compressors to top off and reboost. I think N2 would work well with no special considerations other than the phaff of having to order and keep it in stock where as we're surrounded by free stuff and the equipment we routinely use is built for it.
The artist formerly known as Jethro

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 25 Jun 2016, 15:56

Ang on Jethro am gettin' a wee bit confused here. Am pleased you are UK based and I always wanted to fish the Avon - magic place from memory, alas Yoric i doubt it will ever b so. However, am talking Nitrogen here definitely nuthin else other than compressed air of course. Do you know am now using a mechanical keyboard great to use and things have improved. Anyhow back to being confused. Have access to Nitrogen tank, will see it Tuesday hopefully and it will/should be full (man says). Need a 'giving set' and now see them on ebay cheap as chips (must be my specs) so far all is well. Thanks guys. £6.00 for the last air fill from the big man and the next one will b £8.00 apparently - we have to pay for his special Italian compressor going wrong i guess. Now i have completely lost the plot here and I suspect it's rodp and his afterburners. Also my new Sure24 monitor has got cameraid displayed at the top of the screen (when its turned on) - cam someone elucidate cos it ain't displayed on the others. Does it think i need help or is this an Chinese advert for home brew beer.

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 25 Jun 2016, 16:12

pickle wrote:Ang on Jethro am gettin' a wee bit confused here. Am pleased you are UK based and I always wanted to fish the Avon - magic place from memory, alas Yoric i doubt it will ever b so. However, am talking Nitrogen here definitely nuthin else other than compressed air of course. Do you know am now using a mechanical keyboard great to use and things have improved. Anyhow back to being confused. Have access to Nitrogen tank, will see it Tuesday hopefully and it will/should be full (man says). Need a 'giving set' and now see them on ebay cheap as chips (must be my specs) so far all is well. Thanks guys. £6.00 for the last air fill from the big man and the next one will b £8.00 apparently - we have to pay for his special Italian compressor going wrong i guess. Now i have completely lost the plot here and I suspect it's rodp and his afterburners. Also my new Sure24 monitor has got cameraid displayed at the top of the screen (when its turned on) - cam someone elucidate cos it ain't displayed on the others. Does it think i need help or is this an Chinese advert for home brew beer.

Only when I've had a curry :oops:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Ooops

Post by Ooops » 25 Jun 2016, 19:07

Ok I see the disconnect, a few posts back you wrote
pickle wrote:I like the sound of Helium (unknown quantity). .............. I need more information to storm the forlorn hope. Helium - yummy.
Which is what I was responding to :thumbup:
pickle wrote:However, am talking Nitrogen here definitely nuthin else other than compressed air of course.
Have access to Nitrogen tank, will see it Tuesday hopefully and it will/should be full (man says).
Which means you have to rent the tank, store it, decant from it so you'll need a whip etc which adds up.
Then to account for the ever decreasing pressures as you fill from it you'll start looking at multiple N2 cylinders to form a cascade and so it goes on.
pickle wrote:£6.00 for the last air fill from the big man and the next one will b £8.00 apparently
Compressors do need to be kept up together to provide quality fills so by the time you look at the labour and the maintenance aspect £8 a fill is kind of in the ball park however that would be for top quality breathing air, that's super dry and clean.

I seem to recall used diving compressors going for around £1500. It'd be the sort of thing that fills a 12lt 220 bar cylinder in 20 mins. You save on not having to buy / rent the nitrogen gear and after 150 / 180 fills its paid for itself. All you need is a couple of like minded souls living reasonably near by and you can split the cost of the purchase between you.

Alternatively if you know any one local who dives with mates casually there's a reasonable chance they'll have compressor between them and you might be be able to blag a few fills at a rate below commercial. Or perhaps a local dive club, as long as your cylinders in test doing one more with a batch isn't going to be noticed and the cash will help club fund whilst likely being cheaper than commercial.

........ I'm just sayin' :)
Of course I'm a bit biased because I have a couple of compressors from back when. But its how we got started when fills were inconveniently located, expensive and gas quality was poor.

Right that's me done, I'm going back to lurk mode
The artist formerly known as Jethro

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 25 Jun 2016, 20:19

Actually Jethro i see where your coming from and I have to say that the expense of running a high pressure dive air system compressor does not appeal. My local dive shop chap does not always get it right but he is on the doorstep so to speak. I think that I have fallen in to the trap of wanting a lot for not much outlay. Running a PCP is not a cheap option but the perception is that 'it ought to be cheap,' left over from the days of springers I guess. Sometimes I wish I could to go back to the 8p a cartridge rimfire days but it had its limitations albeit in a different vein. I don't think there's much in it now that .22 pellets are @2.5 pence each given the price of a decent PCP verses the price of my old Finnfire.

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 03 Apr 2017, 21:30

how in the bloody hell... can compressed AIR be expensive???? fittings, i can understand. a tank? i can understand... but how much can they charge for AIR ???
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 05 Apr 2017, 21:45

sedstar wrote:how in the bloody hell... can compressed AIR be expensive???? fittings, i can understand. a tank? i can understand... but how much can they charge for AIR ???

deisil 'compresion' enjins are farly close to it.
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'