LASER SAFETY

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
faisal

Re: LASER SAFETY

Postby faisal » 19 Mar 2012, 11:40

I have been wondering with cctv cameras practically everywhere and us getting bombarded all the time as soon as we step out of the house specially city dwellers .
Is there such a thing as a safe IR? . Surely the cumulative effect is not good for the eyes ?

Cheers
Faisal

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 19 Mar 2012, 14:24

I hope this doesn't offend anyone or derails this important topic. If it does, I have no problem with the mods if they move or delete it.

I've been fairly critical of the ever increasing power of IR lasers we have read about recently - and the "night vision" equipment being brought into play that needs them to operate to the users idea of acceptability. I think this thread is a very timely prompt where perhaps some ought to accept that if something doesn't provide suitable NV performance with established sensible amounts of IR then perhaps it's unwise to steer NV virgins towards it unless they only need to acheive quite modest ranges.

It was all to easy to fall into the trap of 'wow you can see xxx yards with with this secret nite shot camcorder' for example. I'm sorry if this offends some people but there was way too much hype some time ago about camcorders: How many newbies were naive enough to believe that 'foxing' video where someone claimed "170 yards - with a camcorder"?

We dont need NV to shoot rabbits or rats at 100 yards, nor do I think many need it to shoot charlie at 300 yards unless they faffed up previous attempts: we might WANT it but thats a different fettle of kish. If someone needs exeptional range they need to be using equipment that is capable of acheiving that rather than throwing megawatts of power at everything.

Finally, one wonders what damage these superbright lasers are doing to non target animals.

verminfilmer

Postby verminfilmer » 21 Mar 2012, 23:53

hi all, now not wanting to start the old argument that you can see 200, 300 yards with a sony camcorder and a N 1000 ir laser. i filmed the fox shot at 170 yards after the shot at 170 yards, both me and pete walked down the field maybe 70 yards before i said to pete il film him picking the fox up and walking back to me some 100 yards ish, i also have some film of a fox being shot at over 300 yards not with a camcorder at the back of the scope but i filmed it with a camcorder and the shooter used a pvs 14 on the scope. all this film i still have as i dont throw any film ive spent my time on i have many foxes being shot on film using a camcorder so if anyone disputes what ive stated with the yardige of the sony camcorder and a n 1000 laser then il meet anyone and prove my point. people didnt waste there money buying a camcorder for shooting as it works thats all i use for shooting rats and rabbits as its cheap affordable and it records . people probably wasted there money on a copy laser lookalike of clive wards n 1000 that does work way out there, and with there copy lasers couldnt get the same picture i was seeing using clives laser. as for the more powerfull lasers being used im sure i read somwhere that in the UK the legal mw of a IR laser is 1000 mw, 1 WATT , if it is above that then it becomes ileagle, please state if im wrong on this. and last we come to the shite hunters 300 mw laser i was the second person to have one of these and imo they are real shite, all it is as a odicforce 300 mw laser diod in a new body. rectangle beam grainy and lines all over it . a bit like shining a white light through a 5 bar gate.( crap ) ive yet to see a laser that can beat clive wards n 1000 for the distance it goes but not the clarity, i agree with you we dont need to shoot foxes at 300 yards and dont forget in pitch darkness too for safety reasons , nightvision has come a long way since the camcorder and imo its got its place , but you cant beat a good old lamp at harvest time :D just my opinion . john

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 22 Mar 2012, 01:12

Thanks for clearing that one up John. If that were explained on the night someone got banned off the BBS following a heated discussion all would have been ok I think. Recalling the video, I take it you were the guy, possibly on the back of a truck with the clear footage filming Pete's return when he said the 170 yard bit? We can probably both agree the camcorder footage of the actual shot was hardly visible, though the minute or so leading up to it was better? It was probably a bit degraded after the deterioration of the Youtube upload.

Never mind, it's history now mate. 8-) ATB, Dave.

verminfilmer

Postby verminfilmer » 22 Mar 2012, 01:35

some bloke wrote:Thanks for clearing that one up John. If that were explained on the night someone got banned off the BBS following a heated discussion all would have been ok I think. Recalling the video, I take it you were the guy, possibly on the back of a truck with the clear footage filming Pete's return when he said the 170 yard bit? We can probably both agree the camcorder footage of the actual shot was hardly visible, though the minute or so leading up to it was better? It was probably a bit degraded after the deterioration of the Youtube upload.

Never mind, it's history now mate. 8-) ATB, Dave.

i was the bloke that filmed and edited all petes films after chubbtickler had had enough, and now ive had enough of the Bull shite also, now i make my own films for my own viewing and maybe share a bit on my youtube channel from time to time, i will in the futer go out with people i can trust not to shxt on me and use me for my filming and editing. thats why ive been going out with Rick dbdverm on here to try and finish his latest Ratting film also ive been trying to get to craggrats over the past few days to film him also but a bit of familey buisness has got in the way, but HAY HO il be with you all shortley,,PS, ye while im at it the same person is out to shoot a fox with the shite hunters Digi add on during the fox breeding season, just to prove it can be done. by the way shite hunters Digi add on is a board cam and the ir its using is shite, just my opinion though., the board cam is a bit like this one 260963635116 ,,prob edited for the 3rd time but if pete wants his £50 quid from a sale of a cam i made to a mate his £50.00 quid is here so please dont slag me for ripping anyone off, its ready for pick up only ,, ATB john

PESCA

Postby PESCA » 22 Mar 2012, 09:10

"all it is as a odicforce 300 mw laser diod in a new body'.

I can confirm what John says above. Several months ago, I spoke with the guy at Odicforce and suggested that he was missing out on a slice of the market by not offering a an IR laser with a beam that opened out further than he was offering.

He told me that if that's what I wanted, then I should contact a guy named Nitehunter from Sheffield, who purchased Odicforce lasers and turned them into a unit for the shooting guys. He then said "Maybe I shouldn't have told you that". Good luck to the guy as it's a new sales outlet for him.

For your information, I also asked how I would go about dimming a laser. He said that there are two options, (this is not a quote, but simply from memory) neither of which, in his opinion, were really suitable. One is via the input voltage. He didn't recommend this as he said the act of constantly altering the voltage would ruin the unit in time.

The second option is via the output pot. He said that this method wasn't very reliable either. It's difficult to initiate and has the same long-term effect effect as altering the input voltage, as it too damages the unit (this part is my opinion, not his, I hasten to add).

The act of 'over-running' a laser diode will increase it's power and reduce it's working life. Most legitimate lasers that are sold, are deliberately 'under-run' to increase their working life.

George

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 22 Mar 2012, 12:49

You've done some good filming John, best of luck with it. I now see the member name connection is rather apt :D .

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 22 Mar 2012, 13:03

Hi All,

This increased laser power is a bit of a worry.

The details are around for anyone to look up and do the calcs, but safety relates to power density, wavelength and time of exposure.

Sensibly we have an instrument that measures actual output power and power density which is much safer than relying on spec sheets.

Our 100mw N1000 is considered eye safe at 20m on max power and tightest beam setting, but not in terms of being able to stare at it indefinitely. The general rule with any laser is NOT to look into the beam :D On lower power or wider beam settings it's much closer than that.

Now we also do a 1 watt laser IR. If you fudge the figures you could say this is eye safe at source if you limit exposure to 100 thousandths of a second...in reality it can only be considered eye safe on full power and tightest beam once you get past 100m. It does have some serious legs on it though, but I'm very retticent to release it on the ham fisted general public :D

Cheers

Clive

PESCA

Postby PESCA » 22 Mar 2012, 13:58

Could that be this one, Clive?

http://electrooptic.by/index.php?option ... 58&lang=en

George

Silent Shooter
FOUNDER

Postby Silent Shooter » 22 Mar 2012, 14:12