LASER SAFETY

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Re: LASER SAFETY

Post by cliveward » 22 Mar 2012, 14:19

PESCA wrote:Could that be this one, Clive?

http://electrooptic.by/index.php?option ... 58&lang=en

George
Hi George,

That's essentially it yes.

And no you can't have one...you'll only hurt yourself :D

Joking aside, even if we could trust people with them I don't know how many we would sell at £700

Cheers

Clive

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 22 Mar 2012, 15:50

You're not wrong, Clive.

I just couldn't be trusted. At least not trusted to prevent myself from putting together £700 for an illuminator :oops:

It's some piece of kit. 12 volt too.

George

Just thought: if I added up the cost of all of the illuminators I've ever had, £700 doesn't sound too bad. Where do I sign?

Craggrat

Post by Craggrat » 23 Mar 2012, 19:22

DBD
Hope your going to wear safety goggles,

toxo

Post by toxo » 16 May 2012, 23:11

If all this is true, how come all the rabbits and rats don't recoil and blunder away with their arms out in front feeling their way home?

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 17 May 2012, 05:13

They smell their way home.

toxo

Post by toxo » 20 May 2012, 11:46

I don't want to play down the safety aspect but something isn't right here. We've all watched lots of vids where rats and rabbits have been exposed to long periods of infrared without showing any adverse effect whatsoever. Here's a point that hasn't been brought up yet. I have just replaced the 7W cree element in one of my torches with a 5W infrared one. Here's the thing. How do I know if it's switched on or not? Especially since it's got three modes to it (will have to find out how to fix that). I've been looking at the element to see what mode it's in. Now you guys are freaking me out thinking I'm about to go blind. Maybe I'm missing something but If I'm to believe information to be absolutely true I want to be sure it's not some knee jerk reaction to "he said, she said."

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 20 May 2012, 21:32

Have you looked into it? - and are you talking LED or lasertoxo?

There's plenty of informed opinions on here and around the tinternet. Being as you have converted one that was obvious when it was on or off you'll have to see if it's on or off with your Nv device.

That could explain why IR illuminators them have ikkle led's to let the user know when it's on, don't you think? 8-)

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 20 May 2012, 21:34

some bloke wrote:Have you looked into it? Are you talking LED or laser toxo?

There's plenty of informed opinions on here and around the tinternet. Being as you have converted one that was obvious when it was on or off you'll have to see if it's on or off with your Nv device.

That could explain why IR illuminators them have ikkle led's to let the user know when it's on, don't you think? 8-)

toxo

Post by toxo » 21 May 2012, 09:40

some bloke wrote:Have you looked into it? - and are you talking LED or lasertoxo?
I thought I read on here that it didn't matter! Infrared is infrared is it not and although it's more concentrated in a "laser", it's still the same wavelength is it not? If it's the concentration that's causing people to be at risk then they should all be banned because this whole NV thing is about getting it out there far enough to see things at distance.
some bloke wrote:There's plenty of informed opinions on here and around the tinternet. Being as you have converted one that was obvious when it was on or off you'll have to see if it's on or off with your Nv device.
I, along with a lot of others am still experimenting and my torch isn't rigged up with my rifle/c/corder yet and until I read this thread I had no idea that any of it was dangerous.
some bloke wrote:That could explain why IR illuminators them have ikkle led's to let the user know when it's on, don't you think? 8-)
OK, i'll avoid calling you a smartass (with a smiley of course) but many people won't know this, myself included. There are a lot of people who are messing with this stuff for the first time and have never seen one.
For the record I've just bought one of these also (260916463644) and it certainly doesn't have any on/off indicator.

If you are seriously raising awareness of the dangers involved I would have thought the very very first line of this thread should be and i'm not shouting.

"If you are working with infrared DIY devices MAKE SURE ANY DEVICE YOU END UP WITH HAS AN ON/OFF INDICATOR you know, ONE OF THEM IKKLE LEDs (sorry, couldn't help myself) .

And you still haven't answered the question of why the prey animals are not running away screaming and clutching their eye sockets where their sight used to be?

I don't have a science degree. I'm just a fella who likes things to make sense in a common sense way and there are too many loose ends here.

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 21 May 2012, 15:30

Toxo, our aim here is only to make you aware of the dangers associated with laser illumination. We are not the IR Police.

You should obviously choose wisely when purchasing a laser ir. It personally doesn't bother me whether there is an on/off indicator or not, as I use my nv to check that and not my peepers.

Google is your friend and there's lots of info on there for you to read on the subject. We couldn't possibly put everyone's opinion on the forum. We're all adults on here and it would be condescending of us to treat you all otherwise and try and lead you by the hand.

George