Black sun ruby for evo torch

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
whitehackle

Black sun ruby for evo torch

Postby whitehackle » 11 Dec 2017, 17:17

Im trying to patiently wait for the black sun ruby pill to be available for the evo torch. But im struggling.

I was even thinking of buying one of clives t50 with the ruby pill. But I do like my evo t50, especially now i gave a dimmer switch.

Thanks

phatlad

Re: Black sun ruby for evo torch

Postby phatlad » 11 Dec 2017, 18:34

whitehackle wrote:Im trying to patiently wait for the black sun ruby pill to be available for the evo torch. But im struggling.

I was even thinking of buying one of clives t50 with the ruby pill. But I do like my evo t50, especially now i gave a dimmer switch.

Thanks

There's already a 'ruby' type pill for the Evo torch and that's the AS-X that was mentioned in here a few weeks ago but dismissed as being "marketing rubbish" same 810nm but with its own customisation too. Well worth a look.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 11 Dec 2017, 19:00

phatlad wrote:
whitehackle wrote:Im trying to patiently wait for the black sun ruby pill to be available for the evo torch. But im struggling.

Thanks

There's already a 'ruby' type pill for the Evo torch and that's the AS-X that was mentioned in here a few weeks ago but dismissed as being "marketing rubbish" same 810nm but with its own customisation too. Well worth a look.

Ah, thats new information to be fair - Thanks. There was no indication of the lower wavelength here or the the torchfactory site that I saw? Maybe I missed it but if it had been known I don't think those thoughts would have been aired.

It also has the standard reflective chamfered anodised alluminium board retainer replaced with a composite matt surface flat sided retainer that avoids a lot of the spill which helps to account for the cost of the pill.

phatlad

Postby phatlad » 11 Dec 2017, 19:16

One moment it's all hype and a guy who bought one basically ignored for his input but then a different gentleman releases one and "Hey Presto". Anyway best wishes and good result all round.

whitehackle

Postby whitehackle » 11 Dec 2017, 19:18

I have that as-x pill. But clive has said that the ruby pill alot brighter? Be intrested to see if people think they are similar?

Has anyone tested them side by side?

Thanks

Trev-C

Postby Trev-C » 11 Dec 2017, 20:32

The AS-X pill, which has been around for 4 months now, uses the same led that's being used in the Ruby, but both have a different approach to achieving the increase in performance.

Due to the different approach I don't think you could really say they were the same as such, despite using the same 810nm led.

whitehackle

Postby whitehackle » 11 Dec 2017, 21:00

I might hold off buying the ruby pill then, but i have got a friend that needs an ir pill and is thinking of buying the ruby.

If he does then i could do a side by side comparison.

Chrissmith0881

Postby Chrissmith0881 » 11 Dec 2017, 21:11

What is your mate using at the min? If it is a as pill the ruby will give him the most brightness/distance!

whitehackle

Postby whitehackle » 11 Dec 2017, 21:16

Chrissmith0881 wrote:What is your mate using at the min? If it is a as pill the ruby will give him the most brightness/distance!

Just the standard ir that comes with the evo t50 torch. The ruby will be lots better than that. But is it better thab the as-x pill? Thats the question

Chrissmith0881

Postby Chrissmith0881 » 11 Dec 2017, 21:28

Never tried the as-x pill sorry

Return to “Illumination”