Pb if # sunranger ?

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Re: Pb if # sunranger ?

Post by cliveward » 03 Nov 2017, 20:52

marcos58 wrote:Evening Gents,
I started this post because I could not believe Scott country were selling Pbir sunrangers when you could build them cheaper , people need educating. I have posted before about a seller selling the best IR torch on another site but was designed, developed and information offered free on this forum. I did not want to cause any trouble to any members on this forum. I have both Clive's black sun 2 pills and Ian's t73 and both are superb. I have just had a look at Scott country add for the Pbir and is that black electrical tape between the head and torch looks just the same as my home brew.
Keep up the good work guys.
Regards
Marcos.
Hi Marcos,

I think most of the members here agree with you. :thumbup:

It does indeed look like it's electrical tape and heat shrink tubing. :shock:

Cheers

Clive

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 03 Nov 2017, 21:04

marcos58 wrote:Evening Gents,
I started this post because I could not believe Scott country were selling Pbir sunrangers when you could build them cheaper , people need educating. I have posted before about a seller selling the best IR torch on another site but was designed, developed and information offered free on this forum. I did not want to cause any trouble to any members on this forum. I have both Clive's black sun 2 pills and Ian's t73 and both are superb. I have just had a look at Scott country add for the Pbir and is that black electrical tape between the head and torch looks just the same as my home brew.
Keep up the good work guys.
Regards
Marcos.

Don't worry mate we all agree with you, thanks for the heads up

Looks like heat shrink tubing as clive says. I imagine they've used it to cover up the t20's original zoom function and are using the zoom on the ranger lens
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Chrissmith0881

Post by Chrissmith0881 » 07 Nov 2017, 20:03

Is Bruce going to test these two pills then? Be interesting to see the results with these pills in the pbir and also in the likes of the t74 and the b67. Still tempted to try a t74 with new pill technology against my pbir! :thumbup:

Cornish fixer

Post by Cornish fixer » 07 Nov 2017, 21:02

I've got boththe t74 and t66 from Ian at irlightbuilds both superb and really puts out your ir the only down side is there weight ! I've found that the adjustable mounts struggle a bit when trying to adjust the angle of the ir ,I think due to being front heavy would a sunnranger be better in this respect ?? I know you would not obtain the range with it but I've found it a faff when trying to move it up / down sometimes when you in a rush :thumbup:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 07 Nov 2017, 22:39

Ian Sirrels builds are excellent.
I have one of his early T74s and it's still the standard by which all my other illuminators are judged.
Having said that - it is heavy and you simply can't get away from the fact that heavy is what you get when you use large diameter aspheric glass lenses.
A 4x50 Sunnranger is significantly lighter and easier to set up and adjust but it does not put out the same intensity of IR as a T74 (but it's still more than good enough on a Drone pro to shoot foxes at 250 yards)
The ultimate Sunnranger uses a Yukon 5x60 lens, but they are hard to find as stand alone lenses. if you want one you need to buy a Yukon NV5x60 Gen 1 spotter and take the lens off it.
A Sunnranger with a 5x60 lens would be close to a T74 and still quite a bit lighter.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 07 Nov 2017, 23:20

Bruce. I do agree that the T74 does have a big Plano Convex lens and is more bulky. Having read your post above, I decided to weigh a PBir XLR and compare to a T66 and a T74. All with batteries in them.

PBir XLR 384.2g.
T66 418.6g.
T74 411.0

I did not realize till weighing them that The T66 is actually heavier than the T74.

The weight difference is not as bad as I think we all thought. I would say the size is more the benefit of the smaller head torch.
Some prefer the all out power and are prepared to accept what ever weight that comes with that. If I started doing a 84mm lens ir. People would still buy them.
I have said this for many years. The T66 will do all that most shooters would ever need for shooting at night. The T74 is way more powerful than the T66.

Cornish fixer. The T20 bodies are machined at just under 1". That is the reason why they can seem not quite as tight in a mount, especially the adjustable mount. I put one wrap of insulating tape underneath the plastic 30mm to 1" reducers. I can then get the mount good and tight.

Cheers
Ian

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 08 Nov 2017, 07:48

G’morning Ian, good to see you posting again :thumbup:

Talking of different lens qualities..with one of your early AS upgraded pills in a NM800 with an 850nm ir pass filter on the front, I can easily see out over 250m through an Xrtreme with a 105mm Pentax on the front. Same with my Mk1 Drone Pro.

Best wishes

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 08 Nov 2017, 08:56

Morning Fizz.

I would be interested to see what filter you ended up going with. I would like to field test it on the T66. I sell a lot of them to Hog and Boar hunters through out the World.
The 940nm everyone thinks is the answer to the glow problem. There is still glow from a 940nm ir led under power. Granted not to the same intensity as an 850nm ir led under power. But to me glow is glow. To get rid of a big % of the glow using a filter and still get the distances you are saying you are getting, would be a step forward.

Cheers
Ian

koiman97

Post by koiman97 » 08 Nov 2017, 15:48

Just put together a b's 2 and yuk on lens and it's brill

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 08 Nov 2017, 17:06

Where did you test it. It should still have been daylight at 3.49pm. That is after you have tested it and posted here 3.49pm.

Ian