xlr for sunranger

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
mark-taffy

xlr for sunranger

Post by mark-taffy » 06 Oct 2017, 20:46

hi
how does the new xlr compare to the blacksun in the sunranger .would any of u guys know
ta mark

Kevgun

Re: xlr for sunranger

Post by Kevgun » 06 Oct 2017, 22:34

Do you know the spec of the Xlr? I think it's just a Overdriven SFH4715AS and if so I don't think it will be reliable because there is not enough heat sink on a T20/38 the get rid of the heat it will produce. I have seen a picture of the XLR pill on Facebook and the components look cheap in comparison to one of Clive's BS2 pills which use the Berquist 20 MM star and is able to shed heat more reliably than a 16mm star from ting tong ping pong.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 06 Oct 2017, 23:12

Actually, the XLR is a very well made illuminator - manufactured to a much higher quality than T20s, Tr38s etc.
However it's limited by the size of the lens, so in performance terms it's no better than a T20 fitted with an AS pill being driven a 1400ma
It's definitely not in the same league as a sunnranger using a 4x50 lens.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

mark-taffy

Post by mark-taffy » 07 Oct 2017, 09:29

so would it be worth me upgrading the blacksun to the xlr
in my ranger ?
ta mark

Jinks

Post by Jinks » 07 Oct 2017, 09:44

phoenix wrote:Actually, the XLR is a very well made illuminator - manufactured to a much higher quality than T20s, Tr38s etc.
However it's limited by the size of the lens, so in performance terms it's no better than a T20 fitted with an AS pill being driven a 1400ma

Cheers

Bruce
Bruce, the XLR being referred to is the 'new' XLR pill for a sunranger offered by PBIR on facebook (which claims to be better than the Blacksun pills)
Confusing (maybe clever) to name it the same as Armasights illuminator.

I assume the XLR pill is a heavily overdiven AS led, maybe pushed a bit too far, as in PB's own words 'no harm in having a spare pill, they all go pop eventually' Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clunge

Post by Clunge » 07 Oct 2017, 10:17

Is the PBIR offered 'xlr' on facebook continuously variable? (don't do FB).

Looking at the Armasight XLR specs, that one is 4 mode.

I (and others) are dead tight, but would splash out on a decent, continuously variable illuminator.

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 07 Oct 2017, 11:17

"They all go pop eventually" yeah i bet they do :lol:

Whats he driving them at do we reckon 2A?
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 07 Oct 2017, 11:48

Jinks wrote:
phoenix wrote:Actually, the XLR is a very well made illuminator - manufactured to a much higher quality than T20s, Tr38s etc.

Cheers

Bruce
Bruce, the XLR being referred to is the 'new' XLR pill for a sunranger offered by PBIR on facebook (which claims to be better than the Blacksun pills)
Confusing (maybe clever) to name it the same as Armasights illuminator.

I assume the XLR pill is a heavily overdiven AS led, maybe pushed a bit too far, as in PB's own words 'no harm in having a spare pill, they all go pop eventually' Image

Jinks,
Thanks for that, it never crossed my mind that some "wa**er" might pull a cheap trick like that.
It also annoys me that he doesn't give credit to the originator of the Sunnranger (our own Sunndog) leaving people to think that it was his brilliant idea.

Cheers

Bruce

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 07 Oct 2017, 12:06

Hi All,

Sounds interesting. :roll: :angel:

Someone again in the night vision industry has managed to somehow defy the laws of physics. :lol:

We tested the Black Sun 2 in the standard T20 pill quite some time ago and even with our full system of LED, Bergquist Star and thermal compound, we couldn't get the efficiency...the pill itself couldn't transfer the heat quick enough so you got a bit more output and a LOT more heat. In the end we had to redesign the pill itself to make it work properly and get full efficiency and reliability.

If you use the bog standard Chinese parts and just over drive them you will get, lots more output for a few seconds until it heats up, then you will have an IR that is a bit more powerful than standard, but much hotter and with a hugely reduced service life.

Cheers

Clive

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 07 Oct 2017, 16:46

I Got one of Clive`s new BS T20s that he supplied with the machined bezel ready for my 3x42 ranger lens. On a good visibility night I can see to circa 400yds, and that is with a Mamba, so should be even better with a 56 S-Tac. What more do you want/need ????????