Infra red light

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
KeithS

Infra red light

Postby KeithS » 30 Sep 2017, 08:35

I'm convinced rabbits and even mice can see IR. I went out in a field in the country and where I was
it was very dark, so black you couldn't make out the field boundary, tree base or fencing. It was that dark.

On this boundary there is a warren a big one at that.
I set up my trigger sticks about 40 yards from the hedge line and placed my HW 100 with the DIY night on
top of the tripod and scanned the warren for 2 hours non stop.
The first thing I noticed was a mouse scurrying around, this mouse stopped when the rifle and IR was trained on it
and for a split second it hesitated and went below ground this happened several times????

When you're scanning like that you miss very little.
Once or twice a rabbit popped it's head above ground once again when the set up stopped the rabbit went
underground this happened three times and no rabbit was shot even though the warren is large and no one else shoots it!!!

I'm getting despondent with night vision, my set up works very well being able to see for 200 yards in the right conditions the
only thing that seems to be letting it down is the IR, I have a T20.

Radagast
junior librarian

Re: Infra red light

Postby Radagast » 30 Sep 2017, 09:24

Try a 940nm SFH4725S oslon black pill. This should still give enough illumination for air rifle ranges. Its less powerful than the 850nm pill normally used in the T20, but also less visible to critters and the human eye.
Clive Ward or Sika Stag should be able to help you out.

KeithS

Postby KeithS » 30 Sep 2017, 09:43

Just noticed the torch has a OSRAM pill fitted are these to powerful????

Have you a link to the guys that sell this pill?

Radagast
junior librarian

Postby Radagast » 30 Sep 2017, 10:29

Osram is the manufacturer. Oslon Black is the brand for the IR LEDs.
The LEDs are made in two wavelengths, 850nm and 940nm. 850 is closer to visible light, 940 is closer to 'black light'. Its become apparent that eyes can see some IR, the closer to the visible spectrum the more they see. On a moonless night a T20 with an 850nm LED may be visible from 20 meters away due to the purple/red glow - thats the IR we see. A 940nm LED may be invisible at 10 meters because its further away from the visible spectrum.
The 940nm IR LED puts out a quarter of the light of the 850nm LED, so less visible distance.

Clive Ward runs www.nightvisionstore.co.uk linked in the banner adverts. Best to contact him via PM on here though as he uses an answering service in the office.
Ir.lightbuilds can be contacted off facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/Ir.light.builds/
Or you can PM him on here as Sika Stag.

snoopy

Postby snoopy » 30 Sep 2017, 21:34

i like this subject because i went through it all quite intensly over a three month rat kull..

so..rabits cant see red (its orange actualy) neather can rats/rodents, as rodents (ratts) see in the blue spectrum, so theyre best eye sight time of day is dusk/dawn, i.e. not at night when it's dark. the little bleeders are actualy blind as bats at night. (find a moterway run and drop a house brick right in the middle...you'll see what i mean then lol, the run into it full pelt!)

so to the colours, they 'cant see red' yu know? ermmmm they can see something, when you've witnessed a rat freek out and run away from the lazer spot (back to me/faceing away) and then stop..turn back and start grabbing at the beam mid air, yu kind of realise they can definatly see 'light intencity'. for example, some out of your vision range light shining at you at say 0.25mw, a piddly trace amount you'd be non aware, however pop in ooo-er say 50watts worth? no you wouldnt see it still, but your eyes sure would feel the retiners burning!! so light 'intencity' is definatly on the menu.

now regaurding ir illuminators, if you have a very poorly pwm'ed blue light on a rat spot where they feeed, they dont see the light as such, they walk into it, and sort of hikup and go wobbly and fixate on the ground where theres shadow and light pulsing away like a hi speed strobe, the point being they 'know summuts there' and get un nerved and even go wobbly like walking on deck on a boat in a storm..
the relavence, when your ir illuminator is pulsed rong or too strong they do that weird look at the floor thing but cant put their eye on it..so the intencity coupled with pwm certainly alerts them to 'something' weather or not it's in their visual spectral range or not.(it all depends on the presure theyve been under, i.e. virginal? fff spot lights...well pressured your own dwindly secret sourses).

and of course, pop your IR source on a fence post, walk out in front ooo i dunno 100 yards or so and turn around? you'll instantly see a red glow!..its there!! instantly!! lol.
ergo statis...after being hit in the arse by a pellet you'll see that red glow about 15 mile away instantly...or? whilste broadsiding the car in a powe slide around a particular bend, again as usual 'oooo-i thight' 'theyve had cctv put in'...yeh the red glow lol.(70mph stepping the back end out like..ermm yu know lol)

end of the day the NV stuff is actualy letting you see stuff you would never get a glimpse of with a lamp, the diference is huge btw...but, if it's well hunted they pick up on a fart at the car and just run!! seriously, few year ago one of the shoots was a case of dumping the car off about a mile away then creeping in from there...they were hot on.

a decent dimmer switch helps a lot, using just enough as aposed to blasting in like some ufo...(lights or IR bare similarities in long turm tactiques of use.)
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

Return to “Illumination”