Please help... how do the modes works on ir torches?

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
Haroon.Shaukat

Please help... how do the modes works on ir torches?

Postby Haroon.Shaukat » 26 Aug 2017, 19:46

I have a t38 ir torch and it has 3 modes, high medium and low.

I can change between the modes by half pressing the on button after I have turned the torch on.

My problem is that I want to operate the torch in a DIY setup and I will wiring the torch directly to an external battery with an inline switch.

So how do I control the modes??

How does it work? If I can understand how the half press of the on off switch changes modes then I can most likely work out a way so it works in my diy setup.

Is there a mechanism/controller inside the switch? Or is it all controlled via the PIL?

If it's done via the PIL then how does it know that I've half pressed the on off button?

Hoping this makes sense to someone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

reindeer

Re: Please help... how do the modes works on ir torches?

Postby reindeer » 31 Aug 2017, 13:59

There is defenitley nothing in the switch. I took one apart to repair a broken cable. The switch is just wat it is, nothing more. The three modes are regulated through the driver but I have no idea how.
Last edited by reindeer on 31 Aug 2017, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
No fence is too high.......

reindeer

Postby reindeer » 31 Aug 2017, 14:01

The pill doesn't know that you half pressed it, it just detects the next connection in a sequence of three. low med high, low med hich and so on. You can most likely operate the three modes through pressing the inline switch you are going to install.
No fence is too high.......

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 31 Aug 2017, 17:34

You can cycle through the modes by breaking and re-making the power supply circuit to the pill within 2 seconds, its just coincidence that many switches allow contact at half press.

That's going to be tricky with some switches but latching press on-press off switches can be be used at a half press in much the same way as a tail cap switch.

Leaving the power on for three seconds activates the memory mode.

Radagast
junior librarian

Postby Radagast » 01 Sep 2017, 01:23

Perhaps a custom driver will help. www.budgetlightforums.com is the place to ask about such. Here is an example:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/48447

Haroon.Shaukat

Postby Haroon.Shaukat » 08 Sep 2017, 11:29

Thank you everyone, I added an in line push to break switch which cuts power momentarily and the PIL cycles to next power mode.

Here is a picture of my final finished NV setup, the red button on the top is the mode button for the torch, the blue buttons on the side are to control menu options on the screen and the green buttons are for controlling the DVR. the flick switch on the side bellow the blue and green buttons allows me to use the camera on its own with DVR off or i can switch DVR on.

What do you think?

Last edited by Haroon.Shaukat on 09 Sep 2017, 08:05, edited 7 times in total.

Haroon.Shaukat

Postby Haroon.Shaukat » 08 Sep 2017, 11:30

Figured it out! :)

Return to “Illumination”