The S.B.Extreme!

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
poppy mae

The S.B.Extreme!

Post by poppy mae » 07 Feb 2016, 22:05

Image I built this unit for myself a couple of weeks ago, used one of Daves boxes, so looks similar to one of Daves builds, that's about it, just the 2 units , connected by a 3pin jst connector, all runs off a 12v li-ion battery. Usually use apherics from Kaidomain, also used dx, ants supplies and various others, all work well but usually favour Kaidomain . Usually fit there 78mm lens in the 109 donor head and a 74mm lens in a Rolson head. Anyways bit the bullet so to speak and splashed out on two 75mm pure aspheric lenses, which I mean had no flat edges near the rim, just a 75mm dome, wont fit in a Rolson head just fits in the 109 head nicely, lens cost probably roughly 25-30£ apiece with postage and import duty, oh well built it , tested out back , looked ok , nice image. So last Saturday evening,in not to favourable conditions, well windy,but dark,damp! Went out with the HMR , I use Simmons wtc 6-20x50 scopes on all three rifles, so no issue with the dsa fitting, well, switched on, lined up the i.r with the scope.......Bloody hell! What a difference from the previous lenses, at known 100yds distance at 6.5x with the head slightly defocussed to get rid of the die lines, had at what can only be described as a white circle hotspot right in the center of the picture almost laserlike, at 20x at 100yds could pick out every link in the gate chain opposite.Now for the big test at known ranges, out to 300yds, at 6.5x just like day, could wind the scope upto 20x at 300yds with hardly any loss of picture,wind the mag down goes a long way out. Point being these are actual shootable images, being realistic with no bull, it is actually to much for the hmr.So after the trials, went for a walk , bagged a few bunnies, and pushed the hmr , we reckon it gives another 80-100yds better image to the old 78mm aspheric from Kaidomain, so pointbeing in all the torch threads "what torch"etc a decent lens is an eye opener, well openend my eyes big time, and the gamble paid off...........its the best i.r ive used,laser distances with clarity.