Black sun ruby

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
lightmesser

Re: Black sun ruby

Postby lightmesser » 07 Dec 2017, 15:18

Muskett,

Throw us a picture of rubby emitter so we can all see please. It should be quite different from 4715as.

Muskett

Postby Muskett » 07 Dec 2017, 17:01

They look identical, to the point I'm going to have to label them.
Ask Clive how he did it.

Muskett

Postby Muskett » 07 Dec 2017, 19:40

Final summary from tonight having had a play, and a whole lot less wind.

All using my Sidewinder 4-16 x50 with 30mm tube, side parallax.
Its seems to me:
My NM800 with BlacksSun does everything I need to .17HMR ranges, shed loads of eveything.
The Ruby takes the NM800 to what a Xsearcher does with a BlackSun.
A NM800 with Ruby or XSearcher with a BlackSun gets to my gate at 280m but is more comfortable at x8. At x16 then happier at 240m.
The Ruby in the XSearcher get to the gate comfortably at x16.

On top of it all there is oodles of backstop and far off eyeshine. The above is overlooking a large set aside grass field.

By pure chance a fox popped out at the gate. I was playing and only had the empty .22. But given a stable position and a well zeroed fox rifle I felt that at 280m a shot could have been on especially that the full x16 magnification could be deployed. So my Sidewinder, WDVS and Ruby XSearcher is potentially a 300m fox capable combination.
It was a pretty good night atmospherics wise, and as every scope combination is a little different I have no idea if anyone else will exactly replicate my findings. I should think pretty close. Have fun.

Return to “Illumination”