IR Torch - Time for an upgrade?

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
paulham

IR Torch - Time for an upgrade?

Postby paulham » 19 May 2017, 09:09

Hey all,

I think its time for me to upgrade my IR torch, I am currently running a T20 with an original Oslon Black IR LED. To push the range further I have added a 3D printed mount and a photography doubler but its a bit long and I'm sure I could do better.
Mainly, I shoot with my 3D printed NV addon and while using high mag on the scope, you need to throw quite a bit of light down range to get a clear picture.

I am toying with either replacing the T20 pill to the updated 'AS' chip, Torch Factory have them for £12

Or do I upgrade the torch completely?

I am out of the loop, so I dont know what is recommended any more, but I have found these online. Not sure if they use the AS chip though?
UniqueFire UF-1503 - 50mm - £29.79
UniqueFire UF-1504 - 67mm - £36.49

What do you think? Any suggestions?

jdk1

Re: IR Torch - Time for an upgrade?

Postby jdk1 » 19 May 2017, 09:20

Hello mate how are you ? , you wont do much better than one of clives T50's with the AS led although I recently bought an evo T38 and the head seems to have a lot less slop than the old T series.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 19 May 2017, 09:54

Clive supplies an upgrade to the T20 AS upgrade if you like:
http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/black ... 2x17316033

But as jdk1 says, a T50 has a less floppy zoom system, Clive also supplies those as an upgraded AS pill torch too:
http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/black ... 2x17313901

Radagast
junior librarian

Postby Radagast » 19 May 2017, 13:42

A good rule of thumb for buying from China is that if it isn't specified - then it isn't.
The Oslon Black in that Aliexpress advert could be the original 4715, the later 4715S or the current 4715AS. My guess is its the 4715. Most of the T20s that Marky & SikaStag sold were 4715S, IIRC, so you are potentially stepping down in power when buying from an unknown supplier.
I would buy from Clive or Sikastag at IR Light Builds, both do replacement T20 pills or full torches. Buy once, cry once.

Radagast
junior librarian

Postby Radagast » 19 May 2017, 13:58

FWIW Torch Factory have given a few thumbs up on here lately, so its up to you if Clive or Ian's black magic is worth the price difference on what I assume is a Chinese assembled item.

How is your 3D add on hanging together? It's been a bit over a year now, is it squaddie proof or a bit delicate?

For those reading who are new to the forum, this is Paulham's original build thread, complete with parts list and 3D printing files:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14566

paulham

Postby paulham » 19 May 2017, 14:28

Thanks guys! I'm getting married in just under a month so I think I should wait till after to spend some pennies.

Radagast wrote:FWIW Torch Factory have given a few thumbs up on here lately, so its up to you if Clive or Ian's black magic is worth the price difference on what I assume is a Chinese assembled item.

How is your 3D add on hanging together? It's been a bit over a year now, is it squaddie proof or a bit delicate?

For those reading who are new to the forum, this is Paulham's original build thread, complete with parts list and 3D printing files:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14566

3D printed addon is holding up well, I dont go out every week, but it hasnt let me down when I do.
I actually designed and printed it in November 2014 (so 2 and a half years ago) and used it every time I go shooting. I suppose the weakest part is the connection between the scope and the addon, I wouldnt like to wack the addon as i expect the glue would break releasing the DSA.

I am in the process of redesigning the case so that its smaller and smoother so it prints quicker. Also I would like to find a quality mirror, but not sure what to go for.

thesmi

Postby thesmi » 22 May 2017, 20:39

Best ir torch is clive ward bs2.... I think you see mine.
Or dragon fly if big fields and want high mag

Hutchey

Postby Hutchey » 24 May 2017, 08:30

I use a digital add on with an n1000 laser and can punch out to over 300 and up to around 18 magnification

Return to “Illumination”