Moderator options for .22WMR

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
gunnybedford

Moderator options for .22WMR

Post by gunnybedford » 28 Jan 2018, 18:40

Hi

I am awaiting the return of my FAC, which has been varied to add .22WMR for foxing, I am getting a mini mauser action .22WMR which has not been screw cut, this is a bit of a problem as my main permission is within a village, fine with my moderated .22 shooting subs, but the supersonic crack of the WMR might be a tad noisy in the middle of the night.
So first question is, can any one recommend somebody who is capable of doing a good job screw cutting in the Kent area ? ( I live near Hythe)

Secondly what are my options with some form of adaptor that would mount onto the end of the barrel ? ive seen a parker hale adaptor which fits barrels between 13.5 mm and 16mm (not sure what the barrel of my WMR is yet) but having read one description a bit unsure as this description stated it was only to be used with air rifles ? are there any decent adaptors for rimfire ?

or are there any good moderators that can just clamp onto a barrel ?
thanks

Neil
Last edited by gunnybedford on 28 Jan 2018, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

Spanner

Re: Moderator options for .22WMR

Post by Spanner » 28 Jan 2018, 19:26

You need to get it screw cut if its long I would shorten to 18 inches whilst you are at it, I have just put a Wildcat Panther on my 17 Hornet it is compact and does a great job.

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 28 Jan 2018, 20:28

Hi Neil,

I would drop into Ashford Gun Room and look at the Wildcat Panther. They may also know someone who can thread your barrel for you.

Unfortunately the two excellent Gunsmiths I could recommend in Kent have sadly passed away.

If Ashford Gun Room can't help then perhaps get in touch with Dane & Co. http://www.customrifle.co.uk/index.html

Cheers

Clive

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 28 Jan 2018, 20:48

Another vote for the Wildcat Panther. Awesome on my .17 and being honest pound for pound it is better than my CF mods.

gunnybedford

Post by gunnybedford » 28 Jan 2018, 21:38

thanks Clive, was planning on going over there tomorrow ! by chance is one of those gunsmiths a certain Mr Roper ? I ask as i used to know him, - I shoot with Cinque port rifle club.
regards
Neil

gunnybedford

Post by gunnybedford » 29 Jan 2018, 16:49

For those in the Kent area, i was referred to company in Ashford called Morse engineering, it was suggested at the Ashford Gun room that they had screw cut a number of rifle barrels. I gave them a ring today and they confirmed they could do it, they are a CNC machining and engineering company, so hopefully will be capable of doing a good job ! i will be taking the .22 WMR over there to get sorted.

scirroco

Post by scirroco » 05 Feb 2018, 17:53

You also have paddy dane in kent ,a custom.riflesmith,
Search for dane and co
Rgds steve