BROWNING BUCKMARK RIFLE .22LR CARBINE

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
BIGJIM

BROWNING BUCKMARK RIFLE .22LR CARBINE

Postby BIGJIM » 16 Apr 2017, 11:52

HELLO ALL.
Am about to pull the pin on a .22lr. Want semi auto. I want a short handy gun.
Obviously looked at the Ruger 10/22, but really fancy the modified Browning Buckmark Rifle Carbine conversion supplied by ALLCOCKS OUTDOOR.

They do three shortened (300mm) versions, from fully carbon shrouded / stainless muzzle brake / basic shortened barrel & 1/2" screw cut and proofed, ready to fit a moderator. Want the basic version.
As far as I know, all are based on the sporter barrelled version cut down.

My only concern is the std Buckmark gun with the 18 inch sporter barrell is reported to be not that accurate.???
Heard that shortening the barrel is reported to improve accuracy.???

Questions
1- anyone got or shot one of these ALLCOCK conversions, or any other shortened buckmark? Any good for accuracy?
2- Would there be any benefit starting off with the thicker barrelled target version and having that shortened rather than the sporter?
thanks
jim

Paddlers

Re: BROWNING BUCKMARK RIFLE .22LR CARBINE

Postby Paddlers » 16 Apr 2017, 17:51

Hi, personally I've never shot a semi-auto rifle that is anywhere near as accurate as a bolt -action. This and their proneness to jamming when using subsonic ammunition even when kept scrupulously clean has ruled them out for serious work.
With regard to barrel shortening l believe some manufacturers like CZ incorporate a type of choke at the end of their factory barrels to improve accuracy. I currently own a 452 & a 455 with 16" barrels and with a Saks moderator have both been incredibly accurate and manageable out of my landrover window.
Probably not the answer you were looking for but if you want accuracy get a bolt action.
I've owned and shot Ruger 10/22, Gevarm, Remington, Savage autos over the years and they're fun whilst working for shooting cans but not for seriously accurate shooting .
This is my own personal findings and I'm open to being contradicted by someone to produce a tack driving semi-auto, it might be that I've just never found one!

Regards, Tony.

hairyyoda

Postby hairyyoda » 17 Apr 2017, 09:01

:wave: Walther GSP in rifle format :thumbup: "it is a match quality pistol in rifle format"
There is a article somewhere of a person shooting hover flies at fair distance ? not cheap but "match quality"
Thanks
Phil

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Postby CustomRifleScopesUK » 11 Jun 2017, 21:04

The Buckmark is only accurate up to 50 yards as a few friends had them when the came out, so fun but accuracy isn't the best at longer ranges !

I personally have the 10/22 ruger with a heavy match barrel and its sub 1inch at 100yards ( no wind ) took me ages to find the right ammo to get
those tight groups TENEX ammo if anyone is interested, but boy they are £££ at £12.50 for 50

CRS

Frogman Ladue

Postby Frogman Ladue » 04 Oct 2017, 20:06

Buckmarks don't sell well over here. They are fine guns. They are reliable. It's nice to see a last round bolt (slide) hold open...but, I'm scared of a slide racking a few cm from my cheek bone. They cost too much..over twice that of a 10/22. 10/22's can do anything. Factory barrels shoot very well on a 10/22. For 65 quid, you can get a bolt on match barrel that will exceed anything Browning has to offer in .22.
Evolving work in progress, E700+DSA (Build Finished Feb2016)..Link

Last update to US spec'ed E700+DSA T-20,T67 Build. (US Parts List!)...Link

Return to “Rifles and Ammo”