Too much IR?

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Springer

Too much IR?

Post by Springer » 11 Dec 2013, 10:02

Ive been discussing the concept of using too much IR with another forum member, his idea being that the less the better to remain as covert as possible.

I only have a single T20 850 so dont know how much more visible to our quarry a different illuminator would be. I appreciate that if Im using a bigger objective lens then the red glow will be bigger in diameter but question how much it really matters to the average rabbit or charlie? My mate has a firefly laser and at 100yds it showed up as a dim red light much the same as my T20.

If I go for a brighter pill in my T20 (assuming there is one?) will it make the glow from the T20 brighter, if so enough to become considerably less covert?

The reason I am looking at extra IR is to improve the Photon with regard to depth of field and image sharpness. With my Bresser if I block the lens except for a 6mm iris the depth of field is huge, the problem is in the dark I cant get enough IR from my T20 into it to work well, in daylight it works a treat.

Hence the question about more IR, how to get it and if having too much really matters from the covert aspect?

PESCA

Re: Too much IR?

Post by PESCA » 11 Dec 2013, 10:16

This is quite a contentious subject.

For every nv user that tells you he doesn't get troubled with using lots of ir, another will say that the quarry on his permission scatter at the merest glow.

I've personally never had a problem with ir spook and that's mostly on land where the quarry is very easily spooked by the sight of white light or filtered white light.

That's not to say that they are oblivious to the ir because they may be, but, I'm more of the opinion that my presence is sensed rather than the fact that they've noticed the ir.

Flak jacket at the ready :silent:

George

Springer

Post by Springer » 11 Dec 2013, 10:26

Does more IR make the glow brighter George?

Can the quarry see anything other than the glow that we cant?

punky

Post by punky » 11 Dec 2013, 10:34

good subject I know the rabbits were not to keen on my old 808 laser but before that I had 940 on a bresser and no problems same as my sentinel gen1 dedicated I had two Yukon bulb ir on that and no problems spooking them,bought a 3 mode off marky to give ago because of that very same reason
Two and half million made and three quarters of these still on the road,can you say the same about your 4x4
LANDROVER A BRAND LOVED WORLDWIDE
One life live it!!!!!!

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 11 Dec 2013, 10:44

Springer wrote:Does more IR make the glow brighter George?

Can the quarry see anything other than the glow that we cant?
The answer to your first question is yes. If you use an illuminator with a dimmer, you can clearly see the that the glow form the led gets greater.

The answer to your other question is that I really don't know. I've seen discussions on the eyesight of different animals and what wavelengths and colours their eyes can make out, but I haven't drawn any conclusions myself.

It's my opinion that more quarry is alerted by poor fieldcraft (it isn't always possible to be a ninja) than they are by infra red.

George

Springer

Post by Springer » 11 Dec 2013, 11:05

Another question, how can I get more IR out of my T20 or must I change illuminators?

I agree with the field craft bit George, you could float like a silent Ninja with the wind on your back and just watch the bunny's disappear. The last two nights I have walked to within 20yds of more than one rabbit, the light from the IR didnt seem to spook them too much but it was clear from their behavior that some were aware of it, one or two each time sat up and watched while the others continued feeding, when the spotter finally bolted they all followed.
Last edited by Springer on 11 Dec 2013, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 11 Dec 2013, 11:09

You'll need to change the head or have someone change the head. Or, keep the standard T20 and purchase the 66mm version from Mark or Ian.

George

Springer

Post by Springer » 11 Dec 2013, 11:11

I have a 66mm Crelant head, so focusing the beam tighter will give the effect of more light? mmm :think:

I was thinking more down the lines of a different pill?

Or maybe a combination of both?

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 11 Dec 2013, 11:14

It will certainly focus and intensify the beam. Trouble is, the big aspheric lens means that you can't always work close distances with it. Hence, a dimmer is very useful. Best of both worlds then.

George

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 11 Dec 2013, 12:48

Springer wrote:Ive been discussing the concept of using too much IR with another forum member, his idea being that the less the better to remain as covert as possible.
can't imagine who that might be LMAO

i like a nice bright sight picture and a hefty bit of mag when i'm shooting. but you really shouldn't need more than a t20 for rabbiting
with a photon. i'd be inclined to settle for less depth of field and keep a sensible illuminator on it

what rifle is it on btw?
when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers