N550 v Watec

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Aggy AR

Re: N550 v Watec

Post by Aggy AR » 02 Dec 2012, 15:32

Right so IF I do a Watec build ,is there an alternative to the big heads up screen .I would like to pull the whole unit off the scope to used as a spotter then put it back on for the shot ? would this cause alignment problems Parallax issues .
Mick

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 02 Dec 2012, 16:12

Aggy AR wrote:Right so IF I do a Watec build ,is there an alternative to the big heads up screen?

A slightly more involved route would be to use a CRT eyeviewer from an old camcorder - but that also means you have to create a 5V supply in addition to a 12v supply for the cam.

I would like to pull the whole unit off the scope to used as a spotter then put it back on for the shot? would this cause alignment problems Parallax issues.
Mick
If you have corrected parallax to use the scope with your eyes then no, never had or heard of any parrallax issues because you would have sorted it before adding the device.

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 02 Dec 2012, 16:30

http://www.flytron.com/camera-transmitt ... lator.html

What current do those eyepieces draw ?
The tool driving this vehicle is removed at night. Sometimes.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 02 Dec 2012, 16:49

I should have pointed out earlier that if you shoot from a truck window/mirror the heads up method is far better than bringing your eye to the eyepiece/viewer.

This will supply both cam and CRT viewer. Point to note though... several people have tried and failed (me too) to correctly identify the individual wires function once it's off the camcorder. Many have blown the assembly trying to fathom the wiring.
Whilst there are you tube vids showing how to do it, there are umpteen configurations/wire colours etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-USB-5V ... 0810533428

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-A-to-DC-5 ... 519fbfb447

m_pragnell

Post by m_pragnell » 05 Dec 2012, 17:43

You can also use a ubec (you can find them on the bay) and they are readily available to step the 12v supply used for the camera down to the 5 or 6v that the view finders use, I did manage to work out which wires do what but as previously mentioned there is no universal colour code used and red wasn't positive etc it required stripping it completely and tracing components. I also found the image was tiny as you can imagine and couldn't see the ret at all which made the exercise a little fruitless

Still I hope this might help someone as I'm still learning a lot from people on here

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 14 Dec 2012, 01:32

Plowboy wrote:My personal best with a fox was 345m and the only reason I took that shot was that he was a bit nervous and he was across a fence line so I would have had to drive to a gat to get closer. I have taken foxes regularly at 250m but that's because most foxes where. I am are gun shy and will not stay around to get closer. That's why if my watec set up that is in transit works, I will be turning full NV with a roof mounted spotter. Just gotta figure out how to drive by the spotter. Ideally I would like to not put the normal lights on at all. I know my farm like the back of my hand so as long as I don't have to drive at high speed I can drive most places without lights if need be now.

What I hope to do is drive around using the spotlight with an IR filter on using a spotter looking for eye shine. Once that is spotted move closer and take the shot using an add on.

I am going to try to make the add on using silicone pipe so that it is able to slip on. My long term hope is to make a full slip on with a viewfinder ala lardyvision vision so that this could be fitted in seconds.

I have used a paint roller tube for my sidewinder 30. Two wounds with electrical tape on the scope to stop and grip the tube end and it works well with no movement what so ever.
...the doctor said that I need to do gentle exercise... I said to him that I already did... trigger squeezing!