camera types

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
mick.c

camera types

Post by mick.c » 07 Dec 2014, 20:34

Hi all chaps been out of sorts for over a year now so im back to start building my own NV gear so my first question is after reading a lot of threads on here is a normal 700 tvl 16mm camera on par with a e700 that a lot of you men use. could someone let me know please...cheers..

Mick

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: camera types

Post by phoenix » 07 Dec 2014, 21:21

There are lots of 700TVL cameras going around cheaper than an E700, but you never know what you're going to get and I think most forum members who have tried the cheap cameras have been disappointed and finished up buying an E700 anyway.
As they say - "buy once cry once"

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Snapper

Post by Snapper » 07 Dec 2014, 21:25

I don't think there is such a thing as a normal 700 tvl camera as the sensors and image processing software make a huge difference.

I'm far from being an expert but as far as I understand it there are 3 main aspects to a camera; resolution, sensitivity and image processing. The TVL value stands for television lines, ie the resolution of the image so very loosely the higher the number the clearer the picture. The sensitivity is largely dependent on the type of sensor. Essentially there are CMOS and CCD type sensors but as far as I know the CCD ones are better for our need, and these CCD cameras come with a variety of different level sensors so at the bottom of the Sony range is Super HAD, then a Super HAD II, then Exview HAD and finally and most sensitively is the Exview HAD II. The images processing chip, such as the Effio e chip, processes and optimises the image.

The e700 has the Sony Exview HAD II CCD in 700 TVL and some top processing to make it the best current camera but cheaper cameras with the same sensor will work but probably not quite as well.

mick.c

Post by mick.c » 09 Dec 2014, 21:16

Ok lads cheers for the input ...E700 it is then...

Mick