Sony CCD Nextchip 2090

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
tdea1388

Sony CCD Nextchip 2090

Post by tdea1388 » 31 Aug 2014, 22:31

Has anyone tried one of these Sony CCD Nextchip 2090? How well would it work with a Spotter or scopeless?

genisis22

Re: Sony CCD Nextchip 2090

Post by genisis22 » 01 Sep 2014, 06:05

hi I have a sony next chip very good ,but the privacy even though there is a menu setting it dont work, bought two cams at the same time,, the cam id worked fine though and infact makes a very good reticle and positions great, ir cut came of easy and they give a very good picture with ir, my ones have a sub menu that allows me to change colour if cam id ,

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 01 Sep 2014, 09:10

Nextchip manufacture the digital signal processor chip that goes between the sensor and the video output and which provides all the menu functions.
it's a competitor to the Sony Effio chips and gives camera manufacturers a choice of supplier even though they are using Sony sensors (Exview or SuperHAD)
Nextchip products are usually somewhat cheaper than the equivalent Sony Effio products, and, from what little research I've done, generally don't perform quite as well as their Sony counterparts.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Snapper

Post by Snapper » 01 Sep 2014, 22:55

Hmm, interesting. I have an idea how to use that to sort my scopless problems. I had pretty much abandoned my scopeless as the poi was too low on the image and shimming just made the mount unstable which shifted zero. With that camera I could house it, along with battery and viewfinder, in Ali box section very slightly bigger than the housing so that the camera could be adjusted to point in the right direction and then fixed with grub screws.

If they perform as well as the effio super HAD II sensor cameras then I'd be happy. Plus the multitude of cheap auto iris cs lenses to choose from is rather temting too.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 01 Sep 2014, 23:38

Snapper wrote:Hmm, interesting. I have an idea how to use that to sort my scopless problems. I had pretty much abandoned my scopeless as the poi was too low on the image and shimming just made the mount unstable which shifted zero. With that camera I could house it, along with battery and viewfinder, in Ali box section very slightly bigger than the housing so that the camera could be adjusted to point in the right direction and then fixed with grub screws.

If they perform as well as the effio super HAD II sensor cameras then I'd be happy. Plus the multitude of cheap auto iris cs lenses to choose from is rather temting too.
Something I just posted in the below thread might be relevant to your issue snapper. Moving the camera tube relevent to the carrier tube can make a difference if the CCD sensor is off centre relative to the lens centre - darn this dyslexia - hope that makes sense?

http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8546

Snapper

Post by Snapper » 02 Sep 2014, 09:03

Thanks Dave, but the issue I have is that with my set up the scope mount is a rail bolted to the bottom of the camera housing so it cannot be shimmed there. The only way of shimming is by putting Ali strips on top of the rifles rails, at the rear, so that when the scope mount is attached the rear is slightly elevated but isn't then as securely gripping the rail. I haven't explained that well, but the outcome is that the scope isn't securely mounted.

Plus I damaged a bit of the housing by attempting a different fix later. I will make a new and improved version and keep the scopeless build as a near eye spotter.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 02 Sep 2014, 09:44

Snapper wrote:Thanks Dave, but the issue I have is that with my set up the scope mount is a rail bolted to the bottom of the camera housing so it cannot be shimmed there. The only way of shimming is by putting Ali strips on top of the rifles rails, at the rear, so that when the scope mount is attached the rear is slightly elevated but isn't then as securely gripping the rail. I haven't explained that well, but the outcome is that the scope isn't securely mounted.

Plus I damaged a bit of the housing by attempting a different fix later. I will make a new and improved version and keep the scopeless build as a near eye spotter.
Is it worth having the rail/another rail with a bit of down elevation milled off the top?