Pics of Basic E700 Build

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Cottis

Pics of Basic E700 Build

Post by Cottis » 06 Jun 2014, 16:47

Howdy all.

Decided a few weeks back to build a DIY N/V scope add on, so that I could continue to use my day scope for, well, day time shooting.

Got all the bits ordered and they arrived quicksmart with the exception of the LCD screen which, as far as I can tell, came from the moon such was the length of time it took to arrive. Anyhow, turns out it is quite good for very little money, so maybe worth the wait. Will see when it gets dark.

Dead easy to put together. I am douchebag when it comes to DIY stuff and more so with leccy stuff but having read about the possible shortcomings or cost of commercial kits, I thought what the heck, for the sake of less than 200quid, might as well have a go myself.

Glad I did. Here are a couple of basic pics of it sat atop the gun. The weight seems nothing in the shoulder but I am yet to attach the IR directly under the mod which will no doubt ramp up the weight. General consensus seems to be that the illuminator should be under the barrel to avoid issues but it might have to offset against weight. No issue really as I sue a sling at night and most shooting will be done for rabbits sat down on my butt using an extended bipod (bigger than is currently on there) or a shooting stick.

I pretty much did not run into a single issue (apart from someone needing to show me how to focus the cam) Anyone can do this if I can.

Ovvo if you can think of anything that would improve it or if I put something somewhere where it shouldnt be, please let me know as all improvements are welcome. Obviously need to tidy up the wires a bit but I promised some of the above mentioned helps some pics asap, so just wanted to post my happy results.

Thanks everyone and to the site in general for being an awesome tool and wealth of knowledge.

Cottis

Re: Pics of Basic E700 Build

Post by Cottis » 06 Jun 2014, 16:48

Arghgh, it says my pics are bigger than 256kib (they are like 2.3mb) How can I get round that to post you a couple of pics?

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 06 Jun 2014, 16:57

Host the images on a free site such as photobucket then add a link to them in your post. :angel:

22-250jock

Post by 22-250jock » 06 Jun 2014, 16:58

Cottis wrote:Arghgh, it says my pics are bigger than 256kib (they are like 2.3mb) How can I get round that to post you a couple of pics?

have a read of this post mate...........should help with putting photo's up :thumbup: http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=269

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 06 Jun 2014, 17:05

Aha, thanks guys. Does this work? I think I am slowly moving into the 21st Century

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 06 Jun 2014, 17:06

That was just on x 3 Mag and forgot to change the Adj Obj lens to 24yards rather than 35 but it shouldnt make too mcuh difference

22-250jock

Post by 22-250jock » 06 Jun 2014, 17:14

spot on mate :clap: :clap:

lovely job :thumbup:

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

Maxwell291

Post by Maxwell291 » 06 Jun 2014, 19:16

very nice looking setup.
I'm seriously thinking of doing a build myself, what parts would i need and where from to build the same?
cheers & well done.....

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 06 Jun 2014, 23:18

Maxwell291 wrote:very nice looking setup.
I'm seriously thinking of doing a build myself, what parts would i need and where from to build the same?
cheers & well done.....
I spent quite a bit of time reading through a variety of posts on here (in the DIY build section) I paid particular attention to Paulhams watec tutorial for starters and then found a couple of other threads that gave basic parts required.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4247

I didnt use some of the connectors that paulham did and went with a better battery as I require all night shooting but the overall gist is still the same. The parts that are not worth doing yourself are things like the DSA from Pulsar. For 30quid, it is worth it as you probably wont build anything better for the time or money. For the camera housing, I used these, which are made for the E700 cam. Just slots in perfect and needs only slight notch modifications (get busy with a hacksaw and blade) to allow wire through and then you have easy access to cam controls whilst still enabling weather/muck proofing.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-solv ... of-5/65881

Other than that, everything else is just fairly cheap far eastern stuff off ebay, a solid gun and scope which shoots very straight under normal conditions is ovvo a must and some decent illumination. I went with a T20 for starters which is more than adequate for my ranges.

Watching rolaids vids on Youtube is also a very good idea to get the juices flowing.

Thebear2k

Post by Thebear2k » 08 Jun 2014, 07:51

Cottis wrote:
Maxwell291 wrote:very nice looking setup.
cheers & well done.....
I spent quite a bit of time reading through a variety of posts on here (in the DIY build section) I paid particular attention to Paulhams watec tutorial for starters and then found a couple of other threads that gave basic parts required.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4247

Thanks for that, what do you think of this on ebay: 281351223163 I know a bit expensive but should make life easier & a rigid fitment for the E700.