Removing switch and red led from blue brick battery. Help!

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
lightmesser

Removing switch and red led from blue brick battery. Help!

Post by lightmesser » 22 May 2014, 00:34

So I scavenged blue brick battery because I wanted to make it even smaller than it is. Probably I did stupid thing but it is no problem to sacrifice one cell in the name of science...

It is China blue brick 3000 mah cell.

I would like to remove switch and red led and make that battery work as before. I would also like to use that switch somewhere on the monitor. So I am not sure how to wire it after de soldering. I am really good at soldering but very unsure what I should do here...

I need someone experienced with wiring to tell me how and where to solder wires because I don't want to short something out.

So can anyone help on this issue? How to remove switch and red led from battery pack without messing all up?

This are pictures:

Final picture is new cell vs same one scavenged. Maybe I should not do this :mrgreen:

yammo

Re: Removing switch and red led from blue brick battery. Hel

Post by yammo » 22 May 2014, 03:41

I would like to know that too i stripped the box off my battery to so it would be smaller the switch and LED is a bit of a pain it would be better if they were taken off.
Yammo.

ArAKern

Post by ArAKern » 22 May 2014, 09:57

lightmesser

How many cells are in the pack? from the picture it would appear to be just 3 or are there actually 6 (2 banks of 3 cells)
I was looking at these cells for a custom battery pack but they are only rated at 1420mAh

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 9260,d.aWw

Thanks
ArA

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 22 May 2014, 10:28

They look like 3 cells to me.

My add on configuration works more than 3 hours on them. But I doubt it has 3000mah. More like 2000.

I bought it on ali express but it seems it is not available any more...

But I found another link:
http://www.banggood.com/DC-12300-3000mA ... 21269.html

I am still watching that on my table and waiting for wiring solution :)

Switch has 2 poles:

- Pole 1 on which are 2 black wires from power cable and adapter and red led is soldered with one end on this pole while other end is soldered with resistor to battery pack pcb

- Pole 1a on which is just small tiny wire from battery pack pcb p- sign...

P.S.
Red wires from power cable and adapter are connect to pcb B+ sign.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 22 May 2014, 12:08

OK, I'll try to help.
It's a 3 cell battery and it has a protection pcb which is good because all the interconnections between the 3 cells of the battery are made at the pcb and don't need to be touched.
It's also good because even if you do screw up the wiring, you won't damage yourself or the battery.
B+ on the pcb is the battery positive and B- on the pcb is battery negative.
Desolder the following wires from the battery pack to disconnect the switch and LED:
Any wire connected to B+
Any wire connected to B-
The resistor where is it soldered to the pcb
The tiny wire connected to p-
If you have a voltmeter, you should be able to measure around 11-12volts between B+ and B-

Hope that helps

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 22 May 2014, 14:26

phoenix wrote:OK, I'll try to help.
It's a 3 cell battery and it has a protection pcb which is good because all the interconnections between the 3 cells of the battery are made at the pcb and don't need to be touched.
It's also good because even if you do screw up the wiring, you won't damage yourself or the battery.
B+ on the pcb is the battery positive and B- on the pcb is battery negative.
Desolder the following wires from the battery pack to disconnect the switch and LED:
Any wire connected to B+
Any wire connected to B-
The resistor where is it soldered to the pcb
The tiny wire connected to p-
If you have a voltmeter, you should be able to measure around 11-12volts between B+ and B-

Hope that helps

Cheers

Bruce
Phoenix,

This helps but I got to ask you few more questions:

- On B+ I have only 2 red wires from battery main cables (22awg). they are merged together and soldered to B+.

- Main cables black wires are merged together and soldered to Switch position 1 (first pole further from the edge)

- On B- there is nothing soldered on it...

- Yes as you told led resistor is soldered to battery pcb (it has P+ sign) Switch position 1 (first pole further from the edge)

Now about small wires:
Each cell has 3 PCB's so I will call them 1,2,3

P- on the PCB1 cell is connected to P+ on the PCB2 of second cell, and also P- of PCB2 is connected to P+ of PCB3 of third cell, but the most interesting thing is that P- from PCB3 is now connected to switch 1a position (second pole nearest to the edge).

So for now I can desolder 2× red wires on B+, led resistor from PCB1 and switch position 1 (first pole further from the edge), and should I desolder only that tiny wire that goes from pcb3 P- to switch Position 1a?

And could you please tell us where we need to solder wires (main cables wires + tiny little wire from PCB3, P- position) when I de solder all above mentioned wires?

Your help is much appreciated 8-)

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 22 May 2014, 18:32

From your photographs and my interpretation of your descriptions, I think this is what your battery wiring looks like
If this diagram is correct then to disconnect the battery from the switch and LED, you need to:
Desolder the red wires from B+
Desolder the resistor from P+
Desolder the thin black wire from P-
The wiring shows that the switch must be closed (the LED will be illuminated) for both charging and discharging
It also shows that all the current flowing into or out of the battery is flowing through the very thin wire connected to P-
For maximum safety when you rewire after moving the switch, I recommned that you use the P+ connection for battery positive and a thicker wire to P- for the battery negative.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 22 May 2014, 22:39

phoenix wrote:From your photographs and my interpretation of your descriptions, I think this is what your battery wiring looks like
If this diagram is correct then to disconnect the battery from the switch and LED, you need to:
Desolder the red wires from B+
Desolder the resistor from P+
Desolder the thin black wire from P-
The wiring shows that the switch must be closed (the LED will be illuminated) for both charging and discharging
It also shows that all the current flowing into or out of the battery is flowing through the very thin wire connected to P-
For maximum safety when you rewire after moving the switch, I recommned that you use the P+ connection for battery positive and a thicker wire to P- for the battery negative.

Cheers

Bruce

Phoenix,

You are real pro from mine description you made diagram. :thumbup: Yes almost everything is like in your diagram but between p+a and P- is one more field you could solder wire to and it is called "T". But it has no function with this battery pack.

Switch must be in on position in order to start charging process but when I plug adapter in led becomes red no matter switch is in off position.

Guys I will have to admit something... I am redneck, sometimes I don't figure out things on first... I need 2,3,10 times to figure something out but when I figure that out it stays in my head for some while :|

Thank you Phoenix on very nice explanation here. This will be useful to any noob in a world.

But I have more question. Yes you can hit me with something now :lolno:

Now when we know what we need to desolder. I would like to ask you about soldering that wires back on the PCB.

So I did switch surgery and now I have red&black wires from plug&socket and on 3 cell I don't have any tiny p- wire.

I want to say that I am not sure where to solder that wires back again... Yes stupid me :shifty:

So should I solder:

- red plug/socket wires to B+, or to P+ ? If I have to solder both of them to P+ on battery 1 PCB there will be very little place for double 22AWG wire if you know what I mean. B+ spot is much wider than P+ spot

- black negative plug/socket wires to P- on cell 1 PCB? Same thick double 22AWG.

It can be done but then if I have to solder red to P+ there will be only 5mm of distance between them (bigger chances to short something out? )

I just wanted to say that I need help to solder that back on place.
Advice where to put them so I can have normally working charging socket and working power plug which should go to external power socket (clean wiring done to my add on setup, I have left only red power socket, so far I used battery switch to turn whole configuration on but now I want that switch on other place, and to be able to charge battery without taking it off just by plugin it in charger socket while switch is in off mode).

Even if you will not have time to answer on this you helped me a lot... I am just unsure about final step "to solder all back on right place".

Thank you very much Sir.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 30 May 2014, 20:28

I successfully done battery surgery thanks to Phoenix that sent me detailed instructions on PM.

Phoenix I owe you man...

But I wanted to report this:

After I removed switch, removed resistor & led, and connected excellent 22AWG silicone high strand wires to battery P+, and P- , and I put switch on different place I got this...

Much less noise on the screen!!

I don't know how that happened but it happened... Picture is much better now and not to mention battery is very small and practical. It is giving more than 3 hours of life.

I was planning on 18650 configuration but I will leave that project for now... This is small and cool.

Thank you Phoenix.

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 31 May 2014, 07:14

Phoenix,

You are real pro from mine description you made diagram. :thumbup: Yes almost everything is like in your diagram[

Thank you very much Sir.
I've very often thought Bruce must have been a wizard in a previous life :thumbup: He's worked things out for me from a brief numpties description that I couldn't suss even when looking at the item :shock:

Very good of you to take the time to share your expertise Bruce :thumbup: It is appreciated by all :thumbup:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"