My lightweight/compact screened rig

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
NitroJoe

My lightweight/compact screened rig

Post by NitroJoe » 05 Feb 2014, 18:01

Thought I'd share my current favourite build with you. This one had a brief of: Internal battery, compact as possible and just plain simple to use. It fit's the bill so far, still testing it out as and when the rain holds off, but it's all looking good so far. Battery life is 3 hours continuous, much more in stalking use.

>5" screen with 1800mah battery, switch, DC out/in and 3 pole cable to connect to-
>`eBay upgrade` style camera box using E700 and 16mm lens.
>Threaded Mamba scope adapter (I'm going to put this on a diet, it's a bit chunky for my liking)

Just add illuminator of choice. Simples..

Cheers, Joe :thumbup:

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: My lightweight/compact screened rig

Post by sunndog » 05 Feb 2014, 18:13

thats an extemely tidy build joe

how have you mounted the scope ring to the screen?.....cant quite make it out in the pic
when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

jdk1

Post by jdk1 » 05 Feb 2014, 18:18

Thats very tidy joe :thumbup: , i like that camera box have you got a link to them ?

m_pragnell

Post by m_pragnell » 05 Feb 2014, 18:20

Really smart very tidy liking the single wire

NitroJoe

Post by NitroJoe » 05 Feb 2014, 18:51

sunndog wrote:thats an extemely tidy build joe

how have you mounted the scope ring to the screen?.....cant quite make it out in the pic
Thanks Sunndog. I drilled out the threads of the scope mount and used 4 1/2" self tappers. It's pretty high tech you know :? :lol:
jdk1 wrote:Thats very tidy joe :thumbup: , i like that camera box have you got a link to them ?
The camera box as you see it, has been made up by me to a similar design as the upgrade camera units you used to be able to buy on eBay. It requires some lathe work unfortunately. I could probably offer a few in the next couple of weeks though if people wanted to add their own cameras. I have another one with an Effio board in it.

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 05 Feb 2014, 19:00

ah yep, i see it now you've said.....it looked like sommat totally different at first
when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

m_pragnell

Post by m_pragnell » 05 Feb 2014, 19:20

Question or 2, I can see there is a phono socket I'm guessing for a DVR to be used and the 3 pole socket, what is the dc socket on the camera housing? Is there a battery in there? The dc socket on the screen I'm assuming is for charging can it be used as a power out for an illuminator? And finally how have you attached the screen to the project box?

NitroJoe

Post by NitroJoe » 05 Feb 2014, 19:40

m_pragnell wrote:Question or 2, I can see there is a phono socket I'm guessing for a DVR to be used and the 3 pole socket, what is the dc socket on the camera housing? Is there a battery in there? The dc socket on the screen I'm assuming is for charging can it be used as a power out for an illuminator? And finally how have you attached the screen to the project box?
Well, this way if I did run out of internal battery, I can turn off the switch and power it with an external battery through the camera instead. There's no battery in the camera box itself.

You could technically use the DC out for an illuminator but it's going to affect your run time and it's not controlled by the switch (so it's off when charging) so the illuminator would need to be switched/dimmed itself or run constantly. I prefer to use an 18650 powered T20 to keep it simple. Actually, you could have it connected to the switch with this screen, and disconnect the camera when charging, as it will not power up with out a video feed. Not sure about other models of screen though

The box is held on with more self tappers :thumbup:

m_pragnell

Post by m_pragnell » 05 Feb 2014, 19:46

Was there any issues with the self tappers going into the screen housing? I may use that solution I need to attach a screen to a project box on my spotter build

NitroJoe

Post by NitroJoe » 05 Feb 2014, 19:50

The screws go into the project box as opposed to the screen itself. All was fine, I drilled pilots and rounded off the tips though