Duff screens from China

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
NitroJoe

Duff screens from China

Post by NitroJoe » 24 Dec 2013, 00:03

I bought 2 5" 800x480 screens from China last month, one for me and one for a friend. Annoyingly, neither work, despite not being damaged in transit (I've also had this with a 3.5" before)

I've tested mine with a multimeter and it's getting 12V to the board and 5V through the ribbon the monitor but nothing happens, even with a live video feed (as always suggested by the seller)..

I've had my refund, so that's fine, despite the time lost waiting for them. Has anyone else had this and managed to fix it? I don't want to bin 2 otherwise decent screens if I can fix them...

Also, does anyone have a link to supplier who's been OK before? Ideally the model with the ball mount, like Rolaids Bench design.

Cheers in advance,

Joe

andybig

Re: Duff screens from China

Post by andybig » 24 Dec 2013, 00:11

I had one that played up when i first got it.
I have no idea why it didnt work the first few times??
When i was just about ready to chuck it up the wall i was plugging it in again with a different battery and it started working????
All i can say is try turning off and on again a few times and plug the camera in once its turned on.

There was no reason for it not to work the first 20 times i tried it?????

Its worked fine now.
Try pressing the buttons on the back.
Make sure your battery is fully charged.

Radagast
junior librarian

Post by Radagast » 24 Dec 2013, 00:31

Several forum members have used Eachdesk on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290804759940/

My guess is all of these come from the same factory, QC will be the same (non existent) no matter which seller you buy from.

Radagast
junior librarian

Post by Radagast » 24 Dec 2013, 00:32

NitroJoe

Post by NitroJoe » 24 Dec 2013, 17:02

Thanks for the info chaps. I've tried plugging and unplugging it at least 50 times now to no avail. My guess is a duff display as it's getting the right power supply but is still dead as a Dodo.

Hey ho, time to order some more I guess :wtf:

jdk1

Post by jdk1 » 24 Dec 2013, 17:20

NitroJoe wrote:Thanks for the info chaps. I've tried plugging and unplugging it at least 50 times now to no avail. My guess is a duff display as it's getting the right power supply but is still dead as a Dodo.

You dont say what camera you are using have you got access to other cameras you could try as i have had them before that can be a bit hit or miss with the screens , getting one dodgy screen is bad luck but to get two at the same time seems really bad luck unless they had a dodgy batch come in.

NitroJoe

Post by NitroJoe » 24 Dec 2013, 17:45

jdk1 wrote:
NitroJoe wrote:Thanks for the info chaps. I've tried plugging and unplugging it at least 50 times now to no avail. My guess is a duff display as it's getting the right power supply but is still dead as a Dodo.

You dont say what camera you are using have you got access to other cameras you could try as i have had them before that can be a bit hit or miss with the screens , getting one dodgy screen is bad luck but to get two at the same time seems really bad luck unless they had a dodgy batch come in.
Yeah I agree, couldn't believe both were knackered. I have probably only tried one camera, effio e. In reality, it should display a blue screen or something if there is no video input at all, my other screen does.. I will try another one if I've got the right connectors

jdk1

Post by jdk1 » 24 Dec 2013, 19:10

NitroJoe wrote:
jdk1 wrote:

Yeah I agree, couldn't believe both were knackered. I have probably only tried one camera, effio e. In reality, it should display a blue screen or something if there is no video input at all, my other screen does.. I will try another one if I've got the right connectors
I have just plugged in a screen with no video and it stayed black so you might be lucky :thumbup:

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 25 Dec 2013, 02:55

Those reversing camera monitors only power up when there is a video signal - and the ones with two channels only switch over when the signal is received from a second camera. If the camera is dodgy that might be your problem.

Dilligaf

Post by Dilligaf » 26 Dec 2013, 18:48

Have you checked if it is the same format output/input as the camera ie is it PAL cam Pal screen ar NTSC cam NTSC screen?

Sometimes if you dont specify which you format ou want they will send the NTSC one as default, I did this when I ordered and reversing camera and forgot to specify Pal on the order, luckily my monitor had a switch for PAL/NTSC.

Hope that helps.