taking the EJ230 apart? dimensions of it?

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
sedstar

taking the EJ230 apart? dimensions of it?

Post by sedstar » 06 Dec 2013, 12:38

i often cant find something i want to find that i know is here...

someone posted pictures of how they took the EJ230 apart easily... i'm intersted in seeing that again.

i am idly wondering how it is inside, and put together... and if MAYbe the thing can be relocated into another body tube?? (oh... i dont know... like, maybe inside a scope somewhere? LMAO)

i know the "back" screws off? I just remember there was SOMEthing about it funny, the guys said "do THIS, dont do THAT..." and i dont wanna go breaking all the wires or anything on a 100 dollar CAM...
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

Mallow

Re: taking the EJ230 apart? dimensions of it?

Post by Mallow » 06 Dec 2013, 12:44

The back cap screws off then the entire camera assembly slides out. It has like a tray that everything is screwed to that pulls out with it.

-Mallow

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 06 Dec 2013, 13:46

Hmmm... a tray...

youve had yours apart already... would you guess/hunch you could get that tray into another tube? possibly a tube with no taper? maybe... i dont know...

one that fits PERFECTLY inside a gun scope tube? heh heh heh...

that would be just the dogs danglies if i could get the thing into a perfectly straight TUBE, and sand or polish the tube down to JUST slide into my scope housing...

PS you brits are KILLING me... i have started usig brit phrases at first to be "cute" at work, now its starting to happen without me trying, lol...

somone asked me what a "scrote" is? I said it was a crackhead, LMAO...
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

Mallow

Post by Mallow » 06 Dec 2013, 14:12

I had mine apart to take off the it filter. The tray may work in something else but not sure about securing it. I pressed my ej230 into a 25mm OD x 1mm wall pipe for a scopeless build. Waiting on some other metric pipe for the lens.

-Mallow

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 06 Dec 2013, 15:18

whats a 25mm "wall pipe" ??

thats about the right size to mount in 1" scope rings, heh heh... if the 25mm is OD, not ID...?

cementing a gun scope main objective with a threaded coupling, and a threaded washer to tighten it up solid??

Hmmm... could then screw on ANY siZe thing on the "eyepiece end" to have a place to put the camcorder viewfinder...

i dont have anything AGAINST machinist work to get something done? its just adds too much COST to the final product to get any machining done...

Mallow

Post by Mallow » 06 Dec 2013, 15:30

Yeah its 25mm OD and 23mm ID which the camera presses into with some force. This then fits a 1 inch ring just fine.

Radagast
junior librarian

Post by Radagast » 06 Dec 2013, 15:35

I think he means 25mm outside diameter, 1mm wall thickness.

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 06 Dec 2013, 16:42

is "wall pipe" a british or a slang term??

all i get is plastic and insulating stuff in googling it... you sound like you had METAL...

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 06 Dec 2013, 17:01

i am starting to think maybe a "hone"-ing tool is what i need... I have a big drill press...

never used one before, LOOKS simple enough....

the 3 fingers spread out, infinitely adjustable like a gear puller in reverse... you "set" it to just touch the inside of the pipe or tube... run it up and down in the drill press...

measure and repeat by small fractions until you get the size ID you want...

small "brake hones" tools are available in small enough sizes for 1" to fit i the middle of it... my 50mm build? theres a "lip" that JUST stops me from getting the EJ in there... i could set this puppy to that lip, and make it JUST admit the EJ in there?

or, is the USE of this tool not as easy to master as what i am envisioning in my mind?

Mallow

Post by Mallow » 06 Dec 2013, 17:34

Here is what I meant:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390576946663?ss ... 1497.l2649

There are other places with different sizes. Mine will eventually be made from a piece of 30mm OD x 2.5mm Wall Aluminum round tube ordered from Metric Metals in the US.