CCTV camera displayed on a Samsung Galaxy.

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
marklestrange

CCTV camera displayed on a Samsung Galaxy.

Post by marklestrange » 29 Nov 2013, 08:46

Don't get excited - I haven't achieved it lol I'm asking how it can be done.

It can't be done with an IP camera setup wirelessly because of lag (latency) it has to be plugged in via USB.
PTP apps for Cannon and other major DSLR camera companies can display the 'video' from thier camera as well as the total touch interface onto a remote galaxy (usb) so it must be possible, but how?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: CCTV camera displayed on a Samsung Galaxy.

Post by phoenix » 29 Nov 2013, 11:31

If it can be done, and I'm honestly not sure if that's possible at the moment, then it opens up a whole new area for building spotters.
You could use a 2Mp HD-SDI camera which uses standard video cable and a BNC connector and display the results on a high resolution dispaly like the IPad retina.
With that sort of resolution you could just about count charlie's whiskers at 100 yards.
Replacement IPad retina displays can be had on E bay for £60-80
There's a guy who has hacked the retina display and can get it work with display port signals, but so far no-one (as far as I know) has got it work directly from the video signal produced by the type of cameras we generally use.
There are quite a few tablet computers out there with HDMI connectors, but they are all outputs to allow you to screen content from the tablet onto an HD TV - I haven't found any with HDMI inputs .
This is an area I'm definitely keeping tabs on.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 29 Nov 2013, 12:36

phoenix wrote:There are quite a few tablet computers out there with HDMI connectors, but they are all outputs to allow you to screen content from the tablet onto an HD TV - I haven't found any with HDMI inputs .
This is an area I'm definitely keeping tabs on.
thats exacty the stumbling block i couldn't get over a while back when i tried to use my tab as an addon screen...easy to get a signal going out. but no way i could find of getting a signal in
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

marklestrange

Post by marklestrange » 30 Nov 2013, 08:40

As I said - the DSVR camera manufacturers have what I think is an agreed 'standard' for outputting not only the live video display to a samsung via USB but also the whole touch interface ports accross. If I can sort this one I promise you all I'll blow you away with what I can make some apps do for our little hobby here.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 30 Nov 2013, 09:40

If you can develop an app/device which will allow standard CVBS video signals to be displayed on an IPad retina screen (which uses the displayport interface) or other high resolution tablet screen then put me down for one.

Cheers

Bruce

lenny.sch

Post by lenny.sch » 30 Nov 2013, 10:51

There might be a way to do it.
On Ebay a short time ago I saw some video bore snake devices that had no monitor you linked them to your Smart phone wirelessly, there is also those Quadracopters that you control with a ipad or iphone with video link so those devices have a
video transmission that you can record with the app to control the device on said ipad,iphone or smart phone !!

Food for thought i must say. Now only to get one of those devices and Hack it !!

Regards: lenny.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 30 Nov 2013, 12:05

Lenny,
Great bit of lateral thinking there!
Was it something like this you saw?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-WIREL ... 46145d510c

Reading through the spec, the trick seems to be that the camera is also a wifi hotspot which your IPad or Android tablet can connect to and then display the image.
If that's the case, it might be that any IP camera connected to a small hotspot device like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vonets-VAR11N ... 2a2f64f6dc
could be dispalyed on a tablet.
There are several hi res IP cameras available that could do the job - this is just one of them
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P-Netw ... 3ccfda2bb0

Cheers

Bruce

lenny.sch

Post by lenny.sch » 30 Nov 2013, 15:33

Yes Bruce that was the one !
My thoughts at the time were I wonder if it has the same sort of composite camera in that as the crappy corded version I purchased last year, Actually the camera part was ok it was just the detachable dvr screen it had that didn't record very well.
If it did have the composite camera it would be a great candidate to remove the WIFI transmitter and use it on one of our cameras then view and record on a iphone in HD !!

I then looked at those remote Security cameras that you can remote view with a smart phone plus use them as a nanny cam but wasn't shore if you could connect directly with WIFI to view video stream.
There is also the question of what type of camera is being used , is it a composite cmos or direct link camera, if it were a composite camera you would be able to connect a decent NV camera to it but I think it would be the latter..

Any way at $200 australian for the WIRELESS WIFI ENDOSCOPE I decided it may be a project for next year.

The trick may just be in the software app that I am shore was available for download linked to from one of the ebay sellers.

Regards: lenny.

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 30 Nov 2013, 18:03

It would be bloody brilliant if I could use my Nexus7 as a display(recorder?) for the HD38S or the Photon. :thumbup:

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

marklestrange

Post by marklestrange » 30 Nov 2013, 19:37

Using IP on wifi (peer to peer) from an IP enabled camera the 'glass to glass' latencey is over 200ms which I thought was too much. I'm gauging this on slightly insecure thinking perhaps - a 2ms delay monitor is a 'visible' improvement over a 5ms refresh screen. Pings (speed between server and start point) for multiplayer games need to be less than 100 to be able to compete...... so 200 ms sounds rather long.

Someone do the maths to work out how far you would miss by with a rabbit travelling at 15 miles per hour?... I'm eating ;-)